She's a terrible Dr I went to her for low back pain was sent for hip injections. She did not talk to me but talked into her recorder. She was rude and unwilling to answer questions if this is the quality of Dr's calgary is attracting our health system is in serious trouble.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2016

After waiting for months and months for a specialist to help with chronic back and hip pain, I ended up with an appointment with dr Apel. My appointment I waited over half an hour while she and her front desk lady chatted about some drink. when I called to express concern about some injection treatments at my next appointment, the lady who answered was rude and said I had to talk to the dr in a couple weeks at my appointment, but when I showed up for that appointment they had cancelled it and didn't tell me. Basically she perceived some drugs, told me to go swimming (which I was already doing twice a week) and said come back in 3 months! Worst specialist ever.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2015

I saw her in 2010. Office locked & had to sit on hall floor until staff arrived. Demanded detailed family history going back 3 generations & was very rude when I didn't know. Ignored results of medical tests, dismissed what specialists and MRI results showed. She blatantly lied in the report. She has no interest in the patient and will say whatever the person paying her wants. She was booted out of the Brain Injury clinic at the Foothills because she was so terrible and now she can just get rich as a hatchet for companies. She must be so proud of herself.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2015

I been here for an hour waiting and all I see is the doctor walking back and forth and talking to receptionists. Receptionist is rude and unhelpful. This is ridiculous.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2015

I have to agree with every negative comment about this woman. I refuse to call her a doctor as there is nothing professional about her. She mocked my condition and delayed my treatment which has now permanently decreased my quality of life. I'm sure this pleases her and she doesn't care but this is for future patients to be cautious about. This is the first doctor in my life I have spoken negatively about and I refrain from speaking negatively about people but she is the exception. What she mocks and seems to be amused by affects other hard working people's quality of life.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2015

She is the worst human being I have ever had contact with!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2015

I have seen many doctors and specialists over the years and Dr. Apel is the only one I refused to see again. She was late, rude, and extremely unprofessional. She kept telling me that the medication I had been prescribed was terrible for my epilepsy. When I told her that I don't have epilepsy she said it doesn't matter and I should take the medication she prescribed as it won't affect my epilepsy. She became very annoyed with me when I repeated I don't have epilepsy and waved her hand at me dismissively. I was there to see her due to pain in my hands and arms following an injury and I was nervous about the muscle testing she was going administer. She looked at me and asked 'are you nervous' and when I replied 'yes' she smacked me hard on the hands and told me to give it up. When my GP got my report, Dr. Apel had written that she assessed multiple areas including bowel and bladder function among others - none of which she actually assessed or even asked me about! She also wrote that she had discussed other possible tests she could do but I declined those options. We had never discussed any other options and I certainly would not have declined if it could help diagnose my condition! I have since been to a doctor with the same specialty who accurately diagnosed my condition in the first session and I have been successfully treated! I have never had such a horrible experience with a doctor before or since Dr. Apel

flag | Submitted February 8, 2015

Dr. Apel is a professional. If you’re looking for a doctor that does her job, and not looking for a chit-chat session, or a new friend then she is great. She is very considerate of your time, as well as hers. One thing you have to remember she is there to do a job, not make new friends. She was very considerate and careful when examining me, and took notes in great detail. She receives criticism for being rude or short, I found her to be great.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2015

I was afraid to see her due to the negative comments, in actual fact Dr.Apel was very astute in her diagnosis and as sympathetic as she could be in a professional way. I would suggest patients go to her with an open and honest mind. she obviously has an unbiased duty to report.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2014

This woman should be ashamed of calling herself a "Doctor". If Punctuality, Helpfulness, and knowledge are the most important attributes of a fine doctor, she failed on all three fronts!! She was an hour late for the first appointment which was us. Not only she didn't see the need to apologize, she proceeded to take her time to discuss the office issues, changes to her schedule, and her vacation plans with her secretary. As for her helpfulness and professionalism, all the negative comments on this page about her are very accurate and came true for my elderly father. I only wish I had looked her up before I took my dad to her. This would be our last time seeing her!!!

flag | Submitted October 6, 2014

Dr. Maryana Apel's Credentials

Workers Comp

Updates

• A new 1-star rating has been posted. "She's a terrible Dr I went to her for low back pain was sent for hip injections. She did not talk to me but talked into her recorder. She was rude and unwilling..."

January 26, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "After waiting for months and months for a specialist to help with chronic back and hip pain, I ended up with an appointment with dr Apel. My appointment I waite..."

November 25, 2015
  • A new 1.2-star rating has been posted. "I saw her in 2010. Office locked & had to sit on hall floor until staff arrived. Demanded detailed family history going back 3 generations & was very rude whe..."

August 2, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I been here for an hour waiting and all I see is the doctor walking back and forth and talking to receptionists. Receptionist is rude and unhelpful. This is rid..."

May 26, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I have to agree with every negative comment about this woman. I refuse to call her a doctor as there is nothing professional about her. She mocked my conditio..."

March 21, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "She is the worst human being I have ever had contact with!"

February 17, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I have seen many doctors and specialists over the years and Dr. Apel is the only one I refused to see again. She was late, rude, and extremely unprofessional. ..."

February 8, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Apel is a professional. If you’re looking for a doctor that does her job, and not looking for a chit-chat session, or a new friend then she is great. She i..."

January 19, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I was afraid to see her due to the negative comments, in actual fact Dr.Apel was very astute in her diagnosis and as sympathetic as she could be in a profession..."

November 8, 2014
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "This woman should be ashamed of calling herself a "Doctor". If Punctuality, Helpfulness, and knowledge are the most important attributes of a fine doctor, she f..."

October 6, 2014
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I have read all the reviews and I can understand how many people have made negative comments. I do not see a physician who is negative but I see a brilliant phy..."

September 9, 2014
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Rude. Accused me of lying to her. Told me I wasn't doing "enough to get healthy". Despite the many many treatments and instructions i have followed closely. Whe..."

September 8, 2014