Ratings for Dr. Maryana Apel

In advance of my appointment, I was told this doctor was a "lovely lady". Maybe she is lovely to those who know her personally -?? -- I don't really know her as a person. I saw her once. I expected the appointment to be like any other doctor appointment.... she would ask me questions about my injury, my symptoms, my treatment and my progress with the treatment (rather specialized type of treatment) I was already receiving from my physician, and then perhaps offer some medical advice. Instead she asked me questions that weren't really relevant to my injury, she did not ask about my treatment (other than wanting to know who paid for the treatment and why my insurance didn't cover it), she did not ask about my progress with my current treatment. She was abrupt and "to the point" (some people appreciate that) however, her tone bordered on rude and it felt more like an interrogation than an opportunity to gather/share information. The appointment lasted less than 15 min (the interview part was half that time and the physical exam about half, and she had left the room between the two so I could get into a gown). She did not discuss with me any suggestions for alternative treatment, even though her written report provided a suggestion. Her written report appeared to be in my favour (she gave the opinion that my current treatment with my doctor was helping to resolve my symptoms), however I am unsure how she could come to that conclusion since she didn't ask me any relevant questions about my treatment, nor did she contact my doctor (I asked him). Strange. Her report did not demonstrate that she was/ was not qualified to comment on the type of treatment I was receiving from my doctor (fairly specialized, offered by not many physicians). Her entire report simply re-iterated the facts that were provided to her in the medical documents sent to her in advance of my appointment (and I noted she made some incorrect references to my history). I would never choose to see this doctor. I prefer to see someone who is more personable and who would provide a more welcome environment to gather/share information in order to help her formulate an accurate opinion regarding my injury/treatment. How can she give a good opinion without asking any relevant questions? It honestly felt like I was wasting her time, and she was simply doing the appointment because I had been referred for this assessment. Her receptionist was a lovely lady who was patient with my questions and quite personable.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2017

Unbelievable! she definitely did not take her Hippocratic Oath - or have chosen completely to ignore it. Was referred by my injury lawyer and had the worst experience in my life. Made me feel guilty and uncomfortable for things that clearly was not my fault. You better have all the details of your life, family medical history and accident! So arrogant! DON'T GO!!

flag | Submitted August 14, 2017

Extremely racist....judges your ethnicity by your last name. Arrogant and thinks shes the all knowing gift to the medical field. Oh..and in het mind she is perfect..never doing anything wrong. The cpsa needs to review these comments and remove her license to practice. Apauling bedside manner.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2017

One of the worst doctors I have ever met and I work in a hospital. Extremely rude, very bias and has no compassion. She is everything that is wrong with the medical community and should not be a practicing doctor. Do yourself a favor and run the other direction if you get referred to her.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2017

The worst, bar none, physician I have ever come across. Rude, arrogant and totally lacking in compassion. If you have the misfortune to be referred to her - run, don't walk. I will be complaining to the AMA. This disaster of a doctor should have her license revoked.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

Rude and dismissive. Prob the most arrogant doctor I've ever seen. A total wast of time seeing her as she has no respect for patients at all. Won't listen to what you have to say and if her nerve conduction study doesn't show anything she acts like there's nothing wrong with you. Be prepared to feel like your an idiot and a wast of her time. Definitely is in the wrong profession as she has zero people skills and could care less about helping people.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

Today was my second visit. I found Dr Apel to be a knowledgeable and compassionate physician. She took the time to listen to my concerns and remedy was she could in the moment. I believe I have found a professional who will do her best to help my medical situation while being honest and empathetic. I found Dr. Apel's staff to be caring and concerned and efficient as well.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

The absolute rudest, unprofessional doctor I have ever met. Was a half hour late seeing me, after clearly double booking people, and then rudely told me I would have to reschedule (months later and additional cost!) Another appointment for the physical portion of my assessment. The nerve to tell me when I wanted to add something "no you had your time, this is my time now!" And "cant you read?!" ...Cold, mean, and when you cannot remember some detail years back, even verbally abusive.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2017

I have never visited this "doctor" however I would strongly caution you not to visit this doctor if you are a person of color, especially if you are Muslim. She is a racist and a xenophobe who is also a very active social media user despite the risk to her professional career. If you don't believe me have a look at her Facebook account. Based on her comments I would seriously question her professionalism. If I were non white, Muslim, or new comer to Canada, I would seek a different "specialist" as I can't image how she would be able to reconcile her prejudice against her patients care. It would not be worth the risk if you are relying on a fair assessment for an insurance or awcb claim. Seriously read her social media she called Michelle Obama and a "disgusting gorilla" and Muslims "a virus with no cure" and liberals "libturds" / "libturds". But who knows, maybe she is a remarkable individual who can so passionately hate specific groups and still provide them excellent medical care? You roll the dice I guess.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2016

If you think her bedside manner is terrible, have a look at her social media account (facebook). I'm appalled by her very unprofessional behavior, and I think she should be reported.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016