Ratings for Dr. Gerry Maitland

Doctor Maitland is a bit "Dr. House-ish," but he is very professional and explains my condition thoroughly. He is obviously very knowledgeable and has helped me tremendously! He spends a lot of time with each patient, and I never feel rushed or like a number. I would not go to any other neurologist in town.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Waited 1 hour today for my appointment. Office was empty when I arrived. Three couples came in 10-15 minutes after me. Two people were taken in before me. I got my co-payment check back and left stating 'I won't be back'.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

Took my mom to him for over a year. He tried to treat her symptoms as a balance disorder. After doing tests(MRI,s, EMG, muscle and nerve biopsy). He sent back to primary doc. Saying nothing neurological. Took her to a real Dr. at Shands, preliminary diagnosis Parkinson's. What a joke and a waste of time and money. Would not recommend. TMH. Put him out to pasture. Contact info. Thomas5@gtcom.net

flag | Submitted May 9, 2014

I went to see this doctor and he flat out told me he thought I was lying and almost stuck a pencil in my eye. Of course my face showed how upset I was and the only comeent I got was, well I guess you were telling the truth. I was very unhappy.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2007

Dr. Maitland doesn't waste words. He tells you what he thinks and is willing to discuss it. I have been a patient of his for over 8 years. He does take some getting used too. You don't get sugar coating but you do know what is going on. My wife was having a problem and the MRI results were sent to Dr. Maitland. She required surgery. The way Dr. Maitland handled it was professional and with a lot of feeling. As to punctuality, what doctor ever keeps an appointment on time.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2006

Dr. Maitland screwed up. After making a huge error, he decided that my symptoms were not "possible". He said that he hadn't ever seen my symptoms in 20 years of practice. He did not suggest a different Dr. He simply said that it wasn't possible. -- I then went to see a Dr. in a BIG city. He had seen my symptoms MANY times before. My symptoms are real and led to tests that varified a REAL problem. Maitland was arrogant. He thought that if he had not seen something- it did not exist. On the contrary- his knowlege and population base were simply limited. Maitland cost me 2 years of my life.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2006

Dr. Maitland's office is always very, very busy. He is usually running at least one hour behind; I have waited 2 1/2 hours to see him before. He is always warm, smiling, and RUSHED...I have had several appointments that were 3 or 4 minutes long. He often skips the full neurological exam and just does the upper body, for instance, which is a concern for me, since my major symptoms are located in my lower body. He does not remember what my symptoms are from appointment to appointment, and he tends to ask what symptoms that I'm having, but then dismisses them and does not offer any treatment or relief. I have to see my GP for symptom meds, because he won't even go there. He is a very, very smart man, but thinks a bit much of himself; on several occasions he has made a claim that was completely wrong, and that was scary; if you challenge him in any way, the voice gets louder and deeper. I'm left with the impression of a man who could help me immensly, but who won't take the time.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2005