Ratings for Dr. John Yap

My elderly mother (91) lost her kind and compassionate doctor when he retired last spring. Dr. Yap at this time took my mother on as his patient. My mother is very 'with it' for her age and does not have symptoms of dementia or other memory issues. She is still able to keep track of family birthdays, pays all her own bills and can carry on a conversation about the news of the day.. A few months ago she made an appointment to see Dr. Yap regarding her facial spots that were always treated by her previous doctor to prevent the occurance of melanoma. When she arrived for her appointment she was told that she did not have an appointment as she had phoned to cancel the appointment. Her immediate reaction was to blurt out, "What! I did not cancel my appointment." My mother DID NOT CANCEL her appointment but the staff perceived Mom as old and senile and were not caring or compassionate enough to realize that her reaction was one of surprise. Rather than sort the issue out the staff at that point called Dr. Yap who then gave my mom a scolding for being rude to his staff. The staff had erred in cancelling her appointment but no apology was ever given to my mother. The appointment as a result did not go well and Dr. Yap in a rude and uncaring way just poked at my Mom's face and told her she did not have any cancer problems and to see him in 6 months. No compassion for the elderly at this office either from the staff or the doctor!

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Dr Yap has been my doctor since 1996. As the years have passed he has gotten worse and worse to deal with. I have only gone to see him a handful of times since 2005 because he always makes me feel rushed and it feels like he is looking down on me when he speaks to me. My last visit was 5 years ago the year I turned 40. At that time I told Dr Yap I wanted to get a physical as I have never had one and I wanted to start looking after my health, like stop smoking, start exercising and to find out if I have any health issues. In his whiny voice Dr Yap responded " physical, what do you need a physical for your only 40" once again he made me feel like he did not have time for my healthcare. When I have needed a doctor in the last 5 years I have just roughed it out or in a few cases gone to emergency. The only reason I am writing this review today 5 years after my last visit is I find myself in emergency with a possible heart attack and I hope Dr Yap reads these mostly negative reviews and changes his bedside manner for the patients he has left. I don't recommend Dr Yap to anyone.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

I am spoiled, being a doctors son. Dr. Yap rarely overbooks, and I never feel rushed. I like that he often has students working with him.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

My wife called me almost in tears regarding DR John Yap! He was extremely rude and judgemental of a first time patient. He based his entire "wrong" diagnosis on a single blood test and refused the explanation given him by his patient He never actually aquired any factual information, before passing judgement. this guys bedside manor is terrible and he did nothing but suggest the same previously useless treatments never again

flag | Submitted January 9, 2017

I found Dr. Yap to be rude and impatient. Never going back!

flag | Submitted September 7, 2016

I just talked with his office desk about 20 mins ago. and the lady name Christine who works in his office just hung up the phone while I was still talking. What a disgraced office this is. Nobody would treat the patient like this

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

My husband and I are delighted to have Dr. Yap as our GP. He is kind, compassionate and has a great deal of knowledge which he is very good in sharing with the students he often has in attendance. His MOA is very efficient and schedules appointments well so that there is no long waits. May he never retire,

flag | Submitted September 26, 2015

I find Dr. Yap to be very negative and short with his patients. I've been a patient for many years and sad to say he started out more positive and helpful but perhaps time to move on or retire. he's terrible to deal with.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2015

I rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes, his MOA is delightful and helpful. This Dr. is very bright, occasionally he gets it wrong but doesn't hesitate to have another go at it. He will always explain clearly and in detail. I never feel rushed. He seems more concerned with the respect of other doctors than the approval of his patients, which takes a bit of getting used to. All in all, I wouldn't trade him for any other doctor I've had.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

Dr. yap has been very highly recommended to us by our retiring doctor and also our good friend who is also a doctor. My wife and I are so happy to have a family doctor....we had some bad experiences at drop-in clinics with doctors who spend 2 minutes with you and prescribe the wrong medicine (antibiotics) which would not cure the ill we had (confirmed by caring and good doctors at the RCH emergency). My wife and I can't wait to meet Dr. J. Yap for the first time soon and become his regular patients. Another BIG plus...his office is 2 minutes from our residence....

flag | Submitted May 19, 2015