Ratings for Dr. Brian Scarth

He is kind, caring and listened attentively to my concerns and gave me suggestions on how to best manage my depression. If you end up in the ER, you will be in good hands.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

This doctor should be sued for malpractice and held accountable for causing/increasing emotional distress in s patient. I want the public to know how dangerous he is. He does not deserve the designation of psychiatrist. I look forward to taking my complaint public. People need to know how dangerous it can be in psych emerge, if Dr. Scarth is your doctor.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

When I was in psych emerge for suicidal ideation, Dr. Scarth told me that if I was serious about committing suicide I would take the pen from the table next to me and stab it in my throat. He said there were lots of ways to kill myself in the ER, if I was serious. Then he walked away. THIS is the level of support you can expect to receive at Royal Columbian hospital when you are in psych distress.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2016

I told him, after being in emergency and waiting area, that I did not feel stable enough. He responded "well, what do you want me to do?!?". I suggested altering my med. He said the one I am is at its max dosage. He was very dismissive and I got angry and said he was being arrogant and smug. He angrily replied "let's get you out of the hospital" then walked to the staff room door and as he was closing the door turned and said "I am closing this door because I will no longer comming cate with you "

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

My GP sent me for a visit w/ Dr. Scarth because she was concerned that I might be experiencing psychotic symptoms. I found Dr. Scarth nonjudgemental and thought he listened to me. He asked quite a lot of questions about my family history and was willing to spend a lot of time on the exact details of my emotional experiences, as subjective and difficult to describe as those may be. He didn't really give me much in the way of a long-term plan (I blame the hospital more than him) but he seemed to take into account the whole of my situation including family history, current symptoms, past experiences, etc.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2016

Submitted December 2, 2014

I am on long term disability for severe anxiety and depression. I occasionally smoke marihuana, and because of this was referred to this quack. He did not discuss or address any of my anxiety or depression issues. He positioned the seats in the room so that I was staring straight forward into a cupboard and he was staring at me. This was the first sign I knew this guy was different from all the oter doctors I have seen. Every other psychiatrist and psychologist I have seen looks directly at me and makes eye contact while speaking with me. He was the definition of impersonal. Due to my social anxiety I rarely leave the house. His immediate suggestion was that I enter into an intensive daily back to work counseling program. For someone who has difficulty leaving the house once a week, this is an absurd suggestion. However it was a fraser health program, who e is employed by, so that recommendation of a daily program would keep the money flowing into his employers pockets. He's also a fisher, and not in a sporting way ! He was dragging up things I had done when I was a teenager that had absolutely nothing to do with my situation now and focused on those things for an hour and a half. I left feeling violated and in a worse position than I was in before. I would not recommend going to this doctor if you like having a psychiatrist who speaks WITH you, not AT you. Someone who LISTENS to you.

Submitted September 24, 2014

I have been seeing him for apx 1 year now. Dr. Scarth is kind, thoughtful and caring. I am very glad he is helping me.

Submitted November 8, 2012

I've had the unfortunate experience of landing in psych emerg on more than one occasion. I feel my experience would have been much more difficult had Dr. Scarth not been the one assessing me there. He's kind, patient, and he shows a lot of consideration for the person in front of him and what they feel would be helpful for themselves. I'd never hold committing me against him - I've been a wreck, I know it - and if I had a choice in who was doing the assessing I'd choose him each and every time. Thank you Dr. Scarth!

flag | Submitted August 3, 2012

I HAVE ONLY SEEN THIS DOCTOR TWICE SO FAR BUT HE LISTENS AND TRIES TO HELP BUT IT HAS ONLY BEEN 2 VISITS SO I AM NOT SURE HOW HELPFUL HE WILL BE

flag | Submitted January 3, 2012