Ratings for Dr. Vivek Mehta

Dr. Mehta was my brain surgeon in 2012, he removed a golf ball sized tumour that was blocking my third ventricle and causes swelling in the brain due to a back-up of fluid. I was told that this would be a very difficult surgery and that the chances of survival and further recovery would be very slim. I am proud to say that not only did I survive, I flourished. Dr. Mehta and the rest of the team at the Stollery Children's Hospital had a wonderful bedside manner, and they were extremely caring and understanding of all my issues. I am very thankful I had Dr. Mehta and his team by my side in my time of need. Truly do owe my life to this man. The only problem is how insanely busy he is, which at times makes him less than punctual, but I see this as an indication of just how fantastic a surgeon he was and is. Thank you.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2017

Hello everyone, I had a pituitary tumor removed at the university of Alberta hospital, and I must say that Dr. Mehta and Dr. Wright and their entire team, are absolutely incredible professionals. Thank you for your professional bedside manner and the fact that they are very understanding, caring individuals that take their professions very seriously. to the staff at the U of A Hospital, thank you for taking very good care of me in my time of need. you people are amazing, thank you.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2017

Appreciate him taking the time answer all of our questions in a patient, helpful manor. His nurse was just as helpful!

flag | Submitted February 23, 2017

We love Dr. Mehta. He is my sons Neurosurgeon. I will be forever greatful of his knowledge and will never forget his words when he came in, I know what is wrong with your son! He knew exactly what had to be done and I trusted him.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

Contemptuous and judgmental - in our much less than positive experience with Mehta. It is one thing to scorn an adult who may have made some poor decisions that have attributed to their physical plight but entirely another to manage a suffering child in the same despicable manner. We are extremely grateful to anyone who is willing to help us and show even an ounce of compassion and on that note we Edmontonians are incredibly lucky to have the great Dr. Aronyk among us.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017

Dr. Mehta is a nationally recognized, accomplished and caring neurosurgeon. There are multiple patient reports of his dedication, high skill level and compassion. He has skillfully operated and treated many children and adults who have stated as such on this site and are extremely grateful for his incredible skill and professionalism. To the patient who says he "could not be bothered" to hear your concerns -did you stop to think that he may be protecting you from having an operation you don't require? He is a neurosurgeon not a neurologist or a general practitioner who would be better suited to assist with medical (not surgical) management. Your comments are invalid and uninformed.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2016

After seeing all of the wonderful comments about Dr Mehta perhaps I went in expecting a caring, compassionate physician who actually wanted to help his patients. I couldn't have been more wrong. If I could give Mehta a score into the negatives I would gladly do so! He COULD NOT BE BOTHERED to hear what my concerns were and all he did was push medication. Not at all interested in solving the actual problem rather let's put a bandaid on it and see if it works. Seeing him was a complete waste of time and I would recommend other patients seek out ANYONE else. I am left having to go back to the drawing board and wait another 6 months to hopeful see a specialist in Calgary who might actually listen and want to assist with my neurological condition and mass. What a horrid man.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2016

Nothing but positive things to say about Dr.Mehta. Such a kind hearted and brilliant individual.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2016

Dr. Mehta, is not only a superb Doctor, he also is an extraordinary caring individual

flag | Submitted August 8, 2016

We were referred to the u of a hospital after seeing an early childhood interventionalist in our hometown. She noticed something that she thought might need looking into ie: the rate of growth of our childs head. She called pediatrics at the u of a and the neurologist on staff at the time said that we should bring her down as soon as we can to have her looked at as they were concerned there may be some swelling or underlying problem for my daughters rate of growth in her head. We drove 5 hours to the u of a and when we got there they had no record of us being referred to them which was not Dr. Mehta's fault but after we got into a waiting room and they got him to come see us because he was the neurologist on staff at the time he treated us as though we were crazy and looked at us like were were stupid for being there. We explained that we had been told to come down there and even gave him the name of the neurologist that had told us that we should come down and he still treated us the same way. It wasn't until we got ahold of the people in our hometown the next morning as all of this had happened at 1 am the night before and they re sent her information and talked to him personally that he took it seriously why we were there. They got us in for a ct scan and it showed there was no swelling so they passed her care over to a pediatrician to help us find out what was going on. But even when he did that he told us everything was ok and that his part was done and someone else would be looking after it and then walked out there was no remorse for the fact that he had made us feel like idiots for driving five hours for our daughter it was just like oh my job is done here see ya later. Im sure If something had needed to be done he may have been a good surgeon but his bedside manner was absolutely terrible. And it did turn out that there was an underlying issue it just turned out not to be neurological one.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016