Ratings for Dr. Peter Tom Swanlund

Between 2002 and 2015, I had a number of dental sessions with Dr. Swanlund, and I was always happy with his work and his behaviour and demeanor. His dental assistants were very pleasant and skilled too, and with one early exception (Margaret?), his receptionists were fine too. Dr. Swanlund is very skilled and very gentle at the same time. He even knows how to pull teeth with a minimum of pain and discomfort, and he takes great care with the freezing needle. The electronic imaging and display equipment in this dental office is state-of-the-art too. I plan to use him for my further dental work when I can afford it (I have no dental coverage of any kind).

flag | Submitted June 1, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. Swanlund for over 15 years now and have pretty much decided to switch dentists, because of his receptionist Judy. She cannot EVER do the direct billing to Great West Life, and instead, figures it out on a calculator only to end up being snotty with you when you come in for your next appointment telling you that you owe them money. This NEVER happened when Heather and Margaret were running that desk. They had things under control and knew how to do the billing, but Judy admits that she doesn't have a clue how it works. It doesn't give me a lot of faith that I'm paying the correct amount and I'm constantly having to call the insurance company for information only to be told by them that this is up to the dentist to be informing me of my costs. Dr. Swanlund is a great dentist and I really like him and the ladies who do the teeth cleaning are excellent as well, but unfortunately, Judy is dragging that office down. My neighbour who goes there had some issues with Judy's professionalism and spoke to Dr Swanlund about the problems and I guess he spoke to Judy immediately because, by the time my neighbour had finished her appointment and come out to the front desk, Judy refused to speak to my neighbour to tell her how much she owed for her portion of that day's appointment. She completely snubbed her, which stunned me when my neighbour spoke to her directly and was blatantly ignored. This is the childish behaviour that customers are forced to put up with and nothing is done to rectify the situation. I appreciate a boss standing up for his employees, but not when they are in the wrong, and they are a detriment to the business. Judy does not know what she is doing as far as the billing goes and she is making a great many of the patients unhappy if Dr. Swanlund would just listen to the comments from his own waiting room. ‚Äč

Submitted July 15, 2016

Had great experience going to Dr Swanlund's office just recently! I have been avoiding the dentist for years but my friend suggested him as she has been going to him for years. I had a great experience the staff were very friendly and I was seen in a responsible amount of time. I will be going back and glad that although I still get nervous about the dentist at least I'm going to a place were the staff care and know I will get the right treatment I need.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

STAY AWAY!!!! This dentist doesn't listen to his customers. If you were paying me to do my job and more than one person commented that my staff is insensitive , you can bet your boots I would be on top of this issue! The customer is paying the bills, if I want to be in business, that's who I'll be listening to. The hired help either treats my customers with respect or they are out of here!!!!

flag | Submitted December 15, 2014

First time going to Dr Swanlund, haven't been to a dentist in years after the **** I had prior. Went in, was seen 15 minutes early. Had a widsdom tooth removed (was expecting just a consult but he offered to do it right there). Staff was kind, he was great. Made sure I was frozen enough so I didn't feel a thing. Directed bill my insurance company. Very pleased with Dr Swanlund, going back for sure (after years of avoiding the dentist!). Highly recommended from someone who has historically disliked dentists (maybe you can call me an anti-dentite like on Seinfeld, but I have seen the light, ha). Keep up the good work, doctor! Oh and my insurance company is Great West Life (not listed for some reason?)

flag | Submitted December 9, 2013

I too have been a patient of Dr. Swanlund for over 25 yrs. Laura the receptionist treated me like someone who stumbled in off the street. She was not helpful, reassuring, or caring...'just doing her job', she continued to repeat.... .while discussing my financial obligations, from behind her desk. One female patient offered to wait so she could get me in. NO, Laura would not hear of it, she said, "No, we cannot do that, besides there are two patients before you and we cannot back up our whole day, for her." It will be easy to have this patient as a witness to what I am posting here. I did take Laura's callous advice to,'feel free to go find another dentist.' This gives me pause. Is this because I am no longer covered by Blue Cross Insurance and am just retired? Why such a difference in how I had been treated in the past and how I was treated by, Laura, who has apparently replaced Margaret. What recourse do dental patients have, Dr. Swanlund? I have been harmed, Doctor.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2013

We've been going to Dr. Swanlund for over 25 years. This office unfortunately has gone downhill since Margaret left. The front office receptionist (Laura, I think her name is) is super rude. She really needs customer service skills and lessons in compassion. We will be changing dentists because of her, their new 'policies' and what appears to be Dr. Swanlund's utter lack of concern about these issues never mind the fact that he is now losing patients.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2013

It is a shame that this office is going downhill. Bad customer service from the front compounded with bad comments about former staff who we loved. My family has changed dentists and I would not recommend this office to anyone

flag | Submitted December 16, 2012

I have been going to see Dr. Swanlund for over 20 years. I first started going when my friend Heather was receptionist there. She was so knowledgable and super friendly. I continued to go after she left and there was Barb then Margret. All very personable. The staff of hygenist are fantastic and praise there professionalism and kindness. The current receptionist, Laura, surely has some customer service skills that she has to work on !! She was rude on the phone and had an attitude that I was not expecting from Dr. Swanlund's office as it was out of character. I have now switched dentist's, my family of 4. When I called Dr. Swanlund to tell him why we were leaving ~ he sided with his receptionist. An apology would have been nice from her after spending over 20 years supporting this office. I have know alot of people who left and now I can see why.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2012

Dr. Swanlund has been great. We have been seeing him for probably almost 5 years. Anytime you might have a problem, they will fit you in on short notice. He also has wonderful staff that seem to remain mostly the same. I have always had a fear of dentists (one of my previous dentists was new and actually burnt me with one of the metal tools) but Dr. Swanlund is very calming and reassuring. He listens and provides very knowledgeable advice and will give you several options to solve any problems you might have (root canal / extraction / filling / etc.). I would recommend Dr. Swanlund to any of my friends and family without hesitation. We live in the South end of the city, but make the drive to see him. My husband, who's pretty indifferent to Doctors and Dentists, enjoys going to see him due to his friendly and welcoming office.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2010