Ratings for Dr. William S. Arnett

Jaw surgery with Dr. Arnett was a BAD idea. Very UNHAPPY with my results. He did not give me the jaw and chin he promised and on top of that he caused new problems that didn't exist before. My reason for having surgery was purely cosmetic. I wanted a more masculine, well balanced face. Instead I still have a weak chin and jaw and now have sagging/protruding cheeks due to the buccal fat removal, hallows under my eyes, large discolored lips, and a numbness in my lower lip/chin. My face now resembles an ape. What annoys me most is that he essentially lied to me during the recovery process. I would ask him "Are these issues going to improve" and he would say "Of course it will, you're just swollen". He never warned me about these potential complications. I was naïve and believed that these issues would resolve after the "swelling" subsided but they haven't. He purposefully misled me during the recovery process, and attributed the complications to swelling for 2 years to avoid a lawsuit.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2014

Dr Arnett decided to operate on both my jaws which I understand now may not have been necessary. He told me of possible side effects - which I have experienced - numbness, loss of feeling in my chin, and loose teeth. But he did not tell me of the possible side effect of putting my jaws back on crooked or uneven - shorter on one side than the other. He did not tell me he was going to drill a screw into the bridge of my nose. He did not tell me he would be wrapping wires around my jaws which he would later yank out without sedation. Before the surgery the length of my face was the same on both sides and you could see my upper teeth. After, one side of my face is a full 1/2 inch shorter and my perfectly straightened upper teeth are hardly visible. He was completely unsympathetic and even denied that he caused this. He insulted my intelligence by telling me my face was uneven. He even used the term "my face" when talking about MY face. I think he lost sight of his station in life a long time ago. I would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2014

Dr. Arnett misdiagnosed me by miles and I'm so glad I got a second opinion. I went to see him with high hopes but after my first appt I started having doubts about him, he was teaching a class during my appt and there were 8 or more students standing around during my entire consultation, it was embarrassing to me and I said so but Dr. Arnett was more interested in teaching his class than finding out what I was there for. I imagine he gets paid for teaching and he was most likely collecting teacher fees and my consult fee at the same time. Hey, why not? But not on my time thank you very much. I didn't pay him. Since my appt I have learned that Arnett always-always performs orthognathic on your upper and lower jaw even if you don't need it, which I absolutely did not. I don't recommend this guy one bit.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2013

My experience with Dr Arnett and his team has been absolutely exceptional. He has exceeded my expectations from the first meeting and now through post surgery - ALWAYS respectfully explaining all aspects of the treatment My case was very complicated - over 15 years ago I had this surgery with a different dr that left me in a medically damaged state - my airway was nearly non-existent, critical upper jaw bone was removed, a poor bite and a recessed lower jaw which cosmetically made me look very awkward, nearly deformed. Dr Arnett resolved all those points well beyond my hopes; I sleep through the night, have no pain, my bite is perfect and I finally have a face that I can happily look at. I've met many of his patients thru blogs, references and in the waiting room - we are all grateful to have found such an amazing Dr. I spent 100s of hours researching Dr. A; when I bundle that with my own experience, it is clear why he he has earned the respect of colleagues & patients worldwide.

Submitted June 6, 2011

While searching for a doctor in an unrelated field, I came across kierkegaard2006's rating of Dr. Arnett. I had surgery 10+ years ago with Dr. Arnett. Prior to surgery I had sleep apnea, an "open bite" and my jaws had locked closed many times. I felt very comfortable and confident with Dr. Arnett and his staff in the preparation for surgery and I looked forward to having my problems resolved. All I had hoped for with the operation was achieved. Even while still at the hospital, I could tell my apnea issues were resolved! My bite is great and I have not locked or had joint issues since the operation. In my post surgery check-ups (from right after surgery to 2 years after surgery) I spoke to lots of other patients and they had the same experience I did...they were really happy with their treatment outcome and glad they had surgery with Dr. Arnett. Many of them had traveled to Santa Barbara, not feeling comfortable with other doctors they had seen. I would highly recommend Dr. Arnett.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2011

Dr. Arnett gave my dear friend a new lease on life. His calm demeanor, warm bedside manner, exceptional skill and careful explanations gave her the courage to have a procedure that made her the envy of everyone in her college. More importantly, his thoughtful approach to her case gave her the knowledge to accept her new appearance. She now has the personal confidence that previously she understandably lacked. Of all the oral surgeons she visited, Dr. Arnett was the only one who displayed the genuine caring for the emotional aspect of this complex procedure.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2011

Using this surgeon was the worst decision I ever made. It's been several years since surgery was done to help with sleep apnea, and I have been in constant severe pain ever since. I've been assessed to have atypical trigeminal neuralgia in entire face (nerve damage), temporomandibular joint disfunction and myofacial pain. The pain covers the face, is in the joints and I have severe headaches. Aside from the pain there is extensive functional loss causing me to stuggle to talk and eat. My jaws are so far forward that my lips hang open and have to be forced closed. I have been extremely disappointed with Dr. Arnett's reaction to the complications. I understand that he is one of the few surgeons who rotate the jaws because it disfigures the face. To me my face now looks like it belongs on the planet of the apes. Since surgery I have been to many different types of doctors and several pain centers. None of the medications of treatments have relieved the pain or improve the function.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2009

Dr William Arnett is one of the best orthognatics surgeons in the world.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2008

Dr. Arnette is the best. 8 hour surgery and I walkedd out of the hospital the next day.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2007