Ratings for Dr. Joseph Dort

I see I'm not the only person who had issues with Dr. Dort's preference for invasive surgery. Because I have family in Vancouver I went there for a second opinion. While Dr. Dort wanted to do a very invasive surgery and remove a huge amount of tissue, the doctor in Vancouver recommended and performed a very small removal. I've been cancer free for a few years now and I did not need to have the major surgery that was recommended by Dr. Dort. It is so difficult to get specialist referrals in Calgary but it is worth finding a GP that will help you get the second specialist opinion. If you really do need a large amount of tissue cut out it is worth knowing for sure. I see someone else providing a stellar review mentioned that Dr. Dort performed one surgery to remove cancer and, "Further surgery was required to ensure beyond a reasonable doubt that there was no cancer left in my system. " It makes me cringe to read that. There are other ways to determine if there is still cancer, cutting you up is not the best way.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

Dr. Dort seems to recommend surgery as a first course of action and if you question whether surgery is really necessary his pleasant demeanour will change like flipping a switch. If you visit this doctor and he wants to operate, get a second opinion.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

I dealt with Dr. Dort several years ago. He is a wonderful doctor and human being. I landed up being referred to a neurosurgeon. But my experience with Doctor Dort was by far the best I have ever had. He takes the time to talk to you and ensure you have all the information that you need. His staff were super great to deal with as well.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

A couple of years ago Dr. Dort treated me for tongue cancer, no doubt saving my life. He removed a big tumor so skillfully that I have no detectable problems with speech despite having a big piece missing. Further surgery was required to ensure beyond a reasonable doubt that there was no cancer left in my system. This was also performed so well that the scar just looks like a bit of a wrinkle. His skill as a surgeon is exceeded only by his dedication to his patients, staff and students and his caring and compassionate personality. We need more doctors like this. Thanks Dr. Joe.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2013

Dr. Dort is an incredible man and doctor.Six years ago I had a serious sword swallowing injury (I was Canada's Only Professional Female sword swallowing performer for 16 years)which resulted in a massive infection that extended from my chest cavity right up into my skull.Dr. Dort and an incredible team at Foothills literally saved my life. I found Dr. Dort to be kind, funny and incredible! Great bedside manner! I will be forever grateful!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted January 13, 2013

Dr Dort is a super pleasant and very approachable physician with a sense of humour. I saw him as part of a clinical study for oral cancer. He was very through with an examination and provided plenty of information and details. I only wish he had been my surgeon. I requested a transfer to his care, following my surgery, as I felt my surgeon and I were just not a good fit, but my request was denied :(

flag | Submitted November 10, 2012

He is outstanding. Dr. Dort operated on me for tongue cancer and I must admit this man is not only an outstanding surgeon but a truly outstanding human being. I will never forget the care and compassion he showed me and has continued to show. He is a class act and my prayers and best wishes will always be for him and his family (and Drs. Matthews and Shregg). Michelle is also fantastic.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2010

I have had dealing with Dr Dort for a long time, and I would trust him with just about anything. He will give you the facts you need w/o candy coating them. He is compassionate and will do whatever it takes for his patients. IF you are in the need of this specialty then you may as well have the best.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2009

Fabulous doctor. Kind, gentle, knowledgeable and makes you feel as if you're his special patient. A very nice man and a great doctor.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2008

yes very good at what he does keep up the good work. We need more doctor's like you but most of the doc's today know nothing

flag | Submitted October 28, 2008