Ratings for Dr. Pavani Kuruma

Ever since Dr. Kuruma became one of the main practitioners in this office, she has become more rushed, less friendly and less helpful. She seems to often be in a bad mood and haggard. She is critical if you show the slightest tendency to self-diagnose. Once I brought in information about possible hereditary diseases and conditions that I had learned from a recent DNA test and she was so dismissive and rude that it made me feel like an idiot, which I am not. I will be looking for a new doctor once my insurance allows it. She is slow to return phone calls and once even made my husband wait an entire day for her return call. Not hearing from her, he finally called at the end of the day, only to be told that she did not want to take his call, and he would have to wait another 24 hours to see a different doctor. Dr. Kuruma could use a lesson on better bedside manners and for that matter, common decency and politeness in general.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2014

Dr Kuruma point-blank REFUSED to prescribe Truvada, the first HIV prevention drug, to me, despite my being in an extremely high-risk group. Despite recommendations from the FDA and the International AIDS Conference that all HIV-negative, high-risk individuals should begin taking Truvada, she refused to entertain the notion and tried to shift me off to other doctors, like infectious disease specialists. In my opinion, to refuse HIV preventive treatment to an individual at high risk for infection is tantamount to medical malpractice. I will never return.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2014

I've found this practice and Dr. Kuruma to be efficient and caring. I have never waited more than 10 minutes to see the doctor, and like the other respondent on this site, I believe Dr. Kuruma is a good listener and diagnostician.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2013

Awful bedside manner, rude and couldn't answer any of my questions. Will never return.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2011

Dr Kuruma is the best doctor I've seen in many years. At my initial visit, she asked personal questions to gauge my overall physical and emotional health, and helped me realize that stress at work was the underlying cause of many of my problems. She prescribed me an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant and followed up with me to make sure the drug and dosage were working for me. When I severely smashed my fingers, she fit me in for an emergency appointment, immediately gave me painkillers and instructions on how to use them properly, and when I ran out, her office called in a new prescription for me. In short, she treated me like a person, trusted me to know my own body, what was normal and what wasn't, and LISTENED! I recommend her to everyone looking for a new doctor.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2010