Ratings for Dr. Henry Chuang

Too busy typing his forms to even look at or listen to you. He sat with his back to patient while on the computer. He was obnoxious and rude. Recommended agencies that have nothing whatsoever to do with my disorders. He concentrated on a book - Co-dependacy rather than speak to me. At one point he said - why are you telling me this.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2012

Dr. Chuang is now retired but I thought he was a great psychiatrist. I had been in a 15 month long debilitating depression and at first, he and my doctor told me it was 'situational'. The second time I saw Dr. Chuang, he prescribed Cymbalta and within 2 weeks, I was my normal, happy self. He will be missed!

flag | Submitted May 9, 2012

I have been with Dr. Chuang for about 6 years now. I will admit his demeanor is something to get used to, he tends to forget much of what was said last session, however, he puts it all into his computer and is up to speed quite quick. I have severe anxiety, insomnia, mild aspergers syndrome, and bi-polar. He never prescribed more than was needed, when my insomnia got to the point I had been up for 3 days straight he would not prescribe Ambien when I asked as he was aware of previous substance abuse issues, he even said so. He spent 6 months adjusting my medication slowly last year, I still have ups and downs but he will make emergency appointments whenever possible. He is a fantastic Doctor and a shame he is retiring in December. He is not for everyone, but he has helped me greatly.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2011

Very concentrated on drugs ....not very helpful in other areas at all..

flag | Submitted July 13, 2011

I felt I should write since I had a great 1st experience with Dr. C. Those who were offended with him looking at a computer & such, seem to want someone who is hand holding. He wants to make the record accurate, so I have no pblm with it. Often a prescription is needed to assist in someone & if you are not sure or don't want it--then ask or say so! If you don't understand something, ask! Don't leave unhappy when a simple question can answer your question. Also, as to homework reading; I am a full supporter of it. We are the ones in charge of our mental health and it also gives one something to think & discuss in the next visit. I like him. He said that he is going to be retiring this year, so that's a bummer but for now I think he's a great psychiatrist. Don't forget that it is extremely difficult to get to see one in this city! Be grateful, and a little more understanding.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2011

It was nice to have your input, Dr. Chuang! Guess you're looking at the glass as "half full".

flag | Submitted December 2, 2010

Wow I am shocked at the negative reviews. Sure, he sits in front of his computer, but remember, it is YOUR health. Every person has an innate tendency to sidestep effort and work. So you must squeeze the work out of every healthcare practitioner. Dr. Chuang tries to keep things simple, but has a remarkable capacity to keep up with depths of patient concerns. Next time you meet him, I urge you write down your questions and tell him you need each one answered. And believe me, he will answer them. So don't blame the doctor if you're not persistent in asking him questions and taking charge of your own health. I also urge psychiatric patients to do their OWN research. These days patients know more about some of their illnesses than the doctors. Discuss your knowledge with your psychiatrist, it will accelerate your healing immensely. I wish a speedy and complete recovery to all who are mentally ill.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2010

Dr. Chuang showed no interest in listening to me in our sessions. He sat in front of his computer every session and repeatedly wrote prescriptions without considering what I had told him were my concerns. He has zero bedside manner and the only thing he ever did was write more prescriptions and give out more smaples each time I went in.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2010

I went to see him and he rushed me like crazy to try explaining my history, then he got up and walked out of the room on me bc he said I was making him impatient! I was talking "Too fast" for his liking I guess. But there's a LOT of things that stem from childhood that he hadn't seemed to have any interest in whatsoever. He took a break during our visit, at least he asked me if I wanted some water. One thing he said to me really threw me off, "you think people are staring at you when you go out in public bc your attractive?" I couldn't get over that. I went to him because I suffer from panic attacks and social anxiety and he put me on an antidepressant that is not working along with the same stuff that Michael Jackson O.D'd on! I have to see him again today and not looking forward to it, hopefully he will be more patient with me and at least listen to the things that are troubling me.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2010

Saw Dr. Chuang briefly and he prescribed medication from the QHS, Queen's Hospital System, diagnosing me somotic delusions for a positive Staphylococci Meningitis infection. Denied antibiotics. I had to request all my records from the health region in order to find out what he thinks his diagnosis happens to be. I actually never saw Dr Chuang, but my records say I did.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2010