Ratings for Dr. Kris A. Smith

The staff that work for Dr. Smith is phenomenal! So sweet, caring and friendly! Initially I had high hopes with the game plan Dr. Smith had come up with. However while IN surgery and my post-op were a complete disaster! The plan he had told my family and I was to remove the VP brain to abdomen shunt I had, place a titanium plate over that burr hole in my skull, make another burr hold and place a cisternal shunt and new tubing. When I woke up from surgery he had only remove the VP shunt and placed the cisternal. He left the original tubing. He made a burr hole that was in the wrong place so he had to make a second one. He never put ANY plates to cover the 2 unneeded burr holes. So I have 2 open holes (that are about the size of a 50 cent piece) in my skull. To this day just washing or brushing my hair is extremely painful. Plus, from the time I woke up in recovery to this very day my cisternal shunt has NEVER worked. He placed the setting to allow for as much fluid to drain as possible and still no relief. To make matters worse, being that Dr. Smith is considered a "Barrows" hospital surgeon and surgery and post-op is done at St. Joes they have to transfer orders from the doctor. I woke up in recovery with NO pain medication orders. They couldn't even give me a baby tylenol! I was sent to a room for my post-op stay. I laid there in horrid pain for 6 hours because there was NO orders. Come to find out Dr. Smith and his surgical staff had told my patient advocate and charge nurses that they were "too busy" with other paperwork to send over the orders. The had even removed my IV. It took 8 tries to get a new line in. I was given a morphine pump for 5ccs of morphine every 90 minutes. Problem is, at the time I was taking 20 mg of morphine every 2 hours at home. So what they were giving me did nothing. It was like taking gas-x for open heart surgery, USELESS! At my post-op visit with Dr. Smith I asked him why he didn't replace my abdominal tubing or placed titanium plates as he said he would. His answer was that he didn't have time to do the tubing and he "forgot" he was going to put plates in. I told him how painful the open burr holes were and his response was "you'll get used to it". I was in disbelief to his nonchalant attitude and answers. I would NEVER go back to Dr. Smith even if it was life or death. Seriously, find a different surgeon!!!

flag | Submitted September 26, 2016

My initial visit was exceptional. The staff was friendly, courtesy, and knowledgeable. Dr Smith and his staff answered all my questions and explained the optional procedures available to me. I was told the type of results to expect and the nature of the procedure I choose.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2015

I wouldn't see him again for free. He was not helpful refused to treat me and his staff is horrible. Make sure you are seeing him with a diagnosis he is comfortable with because if not you are in trouble.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2013

I was diagnosed with a malignant Chondrosarcoma and associated malignant brain tumors. Dr. Smith performed Gamma Knife surgery for the Chondrosarcoma then surgically debulked the brain tumors. I fully credit this man for saving my life. God bless Dr. Kris Smith. Regards, Bob Kuerz

flag | Submitted September 1, 2013

I was very pleased with Dr. Smith and his staff. I would highly recommend him to anyone!

flag | Submitted July 20, 2013

At the time I contacted Dr. Smiths office I was desperate for some answers to my constant pain and headaches. I had already had two brain surgeries and suffered a severe coma. Dr. Smiths staff are wonderful. They listened to me, told Dr. Smith what I had been through and he agreed to see me in a remarkably short time. I could feel myself relax as soon as he entered the room. He is an extremely kind, professional and understanding physician. Over a 15 minute time period I learned that I had been misdiagnosed and that the preferred treatment is not a shunt that due to the meningitis I suffered as a child it would be very hard to ever tolerate one. He recommended surgery to remove the shunt and a ETV procedure instead. It has been almost a year since that surgery. I am totally pain free. The limitations that remain are from the first two surgeries. I will be forever grateful for being under Dr. Smith's excellent care.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2012

Worse experience ever...Anything that could go wrong did. Spinal fluid leak. Two infections. 4 surgeries this year in matter of a month. His Secretary is rude. The other staff members are sweethearts...my cousin had a more invasive surgery with different surgeon and has better mobility than i.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2011

very knowledgable and helpful. has helped prolong my daughter's life with a very aggressive brain tumor. so far has done 2 brain surgeries successfully w no function lost. also did successful gamma knife surgery. i have been kept well informed and feel that he is giving her the best treatment around. very satisfied.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2011

Outstanding, no-nonsense, VERY knowledgable, physician!! My son had been struggling with Chiari Malformation, and the surgery was awesome AND you can hardly see the scar... Phenominal physician!!

flag | Submitted September 12, 2009

Dr. Smith resected a tumor from my brain and explained everything to my and my family beforehand. He is very approachable and knowledgeable. I continue to work with him as it will be a life long process of mine. He did an excellent job of removing the tumor and leaving minimal scarring. Even when people ask to see the scar, they have problems seeing it even when I point it out. Dr. Smith takes the time to explain everything to his patients in a manner easily understandable without causing them to panic. I would highly recommend this surgeon and would trust him with my life again as well as the lives of my children and husband if needed (hopefully it is never needed).

flag | Submitted April 4, 2009

Dr. Kris A. Smith's Credentials

• University Of Nevada School Of Medicine (Grad. 1989)