Ratings for Dr. Terry Kawchuk

I went in for an immigration exam this morning. The first interaction with the doctor (literally no "hello, I'm Dr Kawchuk") was him sternly asking me if I was getting a student or work visa. I already had my study visa, so I was unsure what he meant; as I tried to tell him this, he became shorter and shorter with me, his eyes became bloodshot from his apparent frustration, and he angrily repeated "is this for student or work visa?" I again told him I wasn't sure, and he cut me off to say "there are four types of immigration exams: study, work, refugee, and [a fourth I cannot remember]. Which one are you?!" I again tried to tell him none of the above and that I already had gotten my visa-- I also mentioned I was very new to the process and had no idea but he could look at my passport and visa if he wished. He then angrily stated he doesn't look at visas ("I am not immigration!") and immediately commanded me to begin the eye exam, no further discussion. The exam was uncomfortable (probably colored by the unsavory interaction from the beginning), then he began to ask me where I was from, why I was here, etc. He then asked to see my passport/ visa, which he previously stated he would not look at, and confirmed that yes, I had my student visa. Afterwards, before I went to the hospital for a series of blood tests, I walked over to my school to ask if I needed to go back to this awful doctor for my medical exam. They confirmed I actually didn't, seeing as I have my visa already. I almost cried out of gratefulness. Honestly, his staff was lovely, very kind and helpful. But Dr Kawchuk was really nasty, and I felt like I was just a number and another paycheck for him who he had no time for. When I told him that I wouldn't need the exam and that if I did in the future, I would be getting it done in the States, he rebutted, "it will be far more expensive there," confirming that indeed, a paycheck was the first thing on his mind. I would never go to this doctor ever again, nor would I recommend him to anyone, especially anyone from the States.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Dr. Kawchuk has looked after my medical needs for over 20 years. He has always been patient, understanding, and thorough. He takes the time to explain medical issues/treatment. He is not a "1 issue per visit" doctor - if I go in with a list of 5 things, we discuss all 5 things. I never feel rushed when I am there. His original receptionist, Dorothy, was amazing and would always fit me in when it was urgent. He has gone through a change of office staff, and both are helpful. He suggests appropriate referrals and follows through. I am pleased with his services.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Not sure if the previous two comments were left by Dr. Kawchuck's friends' or staff in desperate need of boosting the star rating. He was the only IMM doctor on CIC's panel list for a few years in Nova Scotia and became extremely arrogant and hard to deal with.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Dr. Kawchuk is an excellent doctor and has been our doctor for more than 26 years. He is knowledgeable, caring and approachable. What doctor phones his patient to say he is going to be on vacation for a couple of weeks and do any prescriptions need refilling before he goes? Dr. Kawchuk does! When a patient is in the hospital, what doctor comes to say hello and review the patient file at the nursing station? Dr. Kawchuk does! What doctor will make time to see his patient on the same day if required? Dr. Kawchuk does.! What doctor allows a patient to email him with a question and he will respond within a couple of days? Dr. Kawchuk does! Dr. Kawchuk is very much interested in his patients and we feel blessed to be one of his patients. You are not rushed through an appointment. He takes the time to ensure all your questions are answered. For that reason only he may get a little behind in his schedule; however when its your turn you will have the same opportunity.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2017

Excellent doctor! He had to do exams on our entire family and was quick and efficient. He was great with the kids . He found something unexpected with my husband and was clear in explaining the issue and how we would deal with it, even going out of his way to help arrange further exams with an out of province specialist since we had no clue how to go about any of it. As a medical professional he is A1. As a person in general, he was awesome. We spent quite a bit of time in the office and got on wonderfully with him, even laughing together through what is normally a long stressful process. As for the secretary, I don't know why there are so many bad comments on here about her. She was lovely! She is a very busy lady so is very to the point, but she's not rude about it at all. She was friendly and helpful and did her job well. She too was very kid to our children. I think too many people on here expect the secretary to coddle and baby them when they come in, and that is not her job. Her job is to get the patients checked in and ready for the doctor and she does it well. For those who expect to be coddled and treated like a child: go to a children's doctor. Dr Kawchuck and his secretary are exactly what a medical office should be: prompt, efficient, friendly, no nonsense.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2017

This new assistant is terrible! She doesn't have any respect for anyone Whatsoever! She also doesn't have any willingness nor any intention to improve her knowledge at what she is doing, like tryingbto know some of Dr's old patients for instance Dorothy knew lots of dr' patients by name and tried to make the whole process easier

flag | Submitted December 16, 2016

Horrible secretary! I don't think she has any professional training at all! Worst attitude and very bad manners is the only way you can describe her and I am speaking of numerous occasions and she proved herself again and again and again! Dorothy was great and this new staff is exactly opposite and she takes unprofessional manners and rudeness to the next level! I have never experienced anything as bad as her behaviour before.... I believe Dr Kawchuk should definitely replace her as soon as possible!

flag | Submitted November 21, 2016

This clinic is very dirty and all the chairs in waiting room is ripped and in desperate need of replacement.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

Only thinking about money these days and not caring about his patients.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2016

This man left my wife in tears when asking about a routine enquiry. Moreover, we found the receptionist to be bullying, dismissive and very unfriendly. I would not recommend this doctor or his practice to anyone.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2016