Ratings for Dr. Edgar Cowtan

Dr. Cowton was very rude and ignorent asking my son to explain why he was at emergency and when he explained that he was at emergency six nights ago and also was at walk-in three nights ago and with the medication given he was getting no better and was tired achy and couldn't function. Doctor wanted to know what he should do about it..... If we knew what to do, we wouldn't be here, maybe by doing more tests, maybe something will show up, your the doctor not us............... He was rude, unconserned and made you feel like you are unimportant. I will diffenently be asking for a different Doctor if I ever get him again.... I can't believe he still has a job with an additude like that.............

flag | Submitted July 4, 2012

I didn't even know this site was here, but once I found it I wanted to tell you about the experience I had with cowtan. I was three months pregnant and was spotting. Headed to emerge and cowman was on. He did find a bit of blood in my urine. He did not do an exam at all. Just informed me that he found the blood in urine and I quote " go home put your feet up you are having a spontaneous abortion and it will be over by morning". Morning came and I contacted my own Dr. Had an enternal exam and was told everything was going to be fine. That was 26 years ago and our son is very healthy. Every time I see the guy in and around town I would like to drive right over him and let him know he should go home and it will all be over by morning

flag | Submitted March 5, 2011

We saw Dr Cowtan due to husband's very high fever. We were in the Emergency Room for 5 hours but Dr Cowtan was very thorough. He ordered a 2 site blood test, abdominal X-Ray and urine test. With each of these he found problems and gave medications. He had reviewed my husband's chart well indicating different things that were chronic ailments that we had not discussed with him. He prescribed an antibiotic according to the results he was able to receive that night. The remarkable action was he phoned us on our cell on Christmas Eve and let us know that from results that had taken a couple of days to receive, that it was indeed a different type of bacteria than expected and had the new prescription sent to a pharmacy in the city we were visiting. Maybe he did not have the best bedside manner but he did showe concern and was obviously following up on this case.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2011

This jerk of a doctor told my husband he was having a heart attack, then disappeared. An hour later another doctor came by and told us he wasnt. Nice of him to come and admit his mistake

flag | Submitted August 26, 2008

I got this jerk in the E.R. one night. I was waiting for my appt to see my surgeon to get my gallbladder removed & i had the worst attack in my life (found out later i had a stone in my common bile duct) i sat in the waiting area for nearly 3 hours on the floor crying in pain then finally got in. it took him another hour to come & see me & when he got there he asked me what was wrong & i told him i was having a really bad gallbladder attack & i was told to come to the emergency room if they got bad to possibly get it removed quicker. He looked at my file & asked me if i had gotten this test & that test done(which i had)then asked me what he expected him to do. I looked at him puzzled & said i was just told to come here & he told me i quote "Im not a miracle worker & i cant make it snow" gave me a shot of morphine & sent me home. I slept for 26 hours & when the morphine wore off i was too scared to go back to the E.R again so i drove to Bow Island to see my family dr to get real service

flag | Submitted July 20, 2008

I almost died when he sent me home without doing the tests that would have indicated I had pancreatitus. I was eventually correctly diagnosed by another doctor in er and was flown to Calgary where I spent the next three weeks fighting for my life.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2008

My husband's family doctor diagnosed him with pneumonia but unfortunately could not order any chest x-rays because it was a holiday and the labs were closed. So he apologized and sent my huband to the hospital for x-rays and to be prescribed an appropriate antibiotic. The nurses hurried him in, where Dr. Cowtan ignored him for 4 hours. Then he tried to tell my husband that it was just his asthma and even made him use his puffer, but finally ordered the chest x-ray when the ventolin didn't work. After which he said, "Oh, I guess he does have pneumonia. It's pretty bad, too. Now what should I do?" I couldn't believe he was serious, but he looked genuinely baffled, so I suggested antibiotics. He said, "Oh! That's a good idea, I'll go look up which one I should put him on." He looked up the meds in his big blue book in between reading Field & Stream around the corner for another hour. Luckily he prescribed a proper antibiotic rather than something for fish or deer!

flag | Submitted February 9, 2008

Two bad experiences with this doctor. Had mastitis while nursing my son - he gave me the wrong antibiotic, one never prescribed for deep tissue infections, which helped me feel better for one day, but made the infection resistant, so I had to go on a very strong, long antibiotic and almost lost my milk! Then, when my son was 4, took him in because he was running such a high fever that would not come down with tylenol for more than 15 minutes, and he was breathing very rapidly and shallowly, limp, lethargic. My family Dr. had given me antibiotic in the a.m., but it hadn't helped much, and we live out of town, so I decided to be safe and go to ER. Cowtan said - don't worry, let the antibiotic work. Went home, son got worse, back in four hours after seeing Cowtan, and son was admitted with raging bacterial pneumonia, hospitalized for five days. I walk out of ER and go to walkin if Cowtan is on duty. I wouldn't take a dog to him.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2007

I have lived with asthma for 25 years now, and know what to do, and know the warning signs that I am getting sick , I get pneumonia VERY quickly if I dont act fast... I have had a few bad incounters with this doctor, he is a know it all, bull headed , ignorant,arrogant, uncaring man, who I am sure is a doctor in the hat because he couldnt get a job anywhere else... I waited in the ER for like 1 hour, Not breathing Well at all.... others in the ER waiting room were more worried about me then him, and when my husband asked when how long, she said he was on a coffee break! Must be nice to be able to have a coffee for an hour (sometimes longer) I am lucky if I get to sit down Once at my job, I am a Waiteress and work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week plus a mother of three, and I have more compassion serving coffee, and food items then he does in a life and death situation!!!!! He SUX!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2007

I recently visited the E.R. with my 2 yr old son,Dr. Cowtan offered a good explanation,treated us very professionally and we were very happy with the care we received.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2007