Ratings for Dr. Peter O'Brien

Very knowledgable, soft, compassionate doc. He personally wheeled me into the Operating Room which is very rare for a surgeon to do. He made me feel very comfortable in the OR and communicated the findings very well. I would definitely recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2017

Arguably one of the top sports med docs out there - period. Conservative nature, but thorough and extremely knowledgeable: he will not tell you want you want to hear, but will help you understand what your situation is and allow you to make the correct, informed decision (I'm discussing elective orthopedic surgery here - no emergency trauma surgery). My most important quality for a surgeon is that they know what they're doing and that they can cut properly: everything else is a "nice to have", but really, who cares about their bed side manner or their support staff when you're under and the surgeon is putting a scalpel to your tissue? You want them to be ultra-competent and you want them in and out of your body as quickly as possible to minimize trauma. Dr O'Brien has these qualities in spades.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2015

I have to say that my opinion of Dr. O'Brian was mixed (at first). I then realized that he operates in 2 modes (Triage vs. Appt.)Once you have an appt. he will give you his undivided attention and professional opinion - with the bedside manner that is described by others. His receptionist is amazing, super friendly and helpful. I trust his conservative nature is influenced by his years of experience. Can't wait for my surgery, I'll let you know how it goes... :-)

flag | Submitted March 6, 2014

I saw Dr OBrien through VGH Emerg and then in the Ortho Clinic, so haven't been to his own office. At first I found him very offputting, and had very brief visits while in hospital after my surgery. However, my trimalleolar ankle fracture has healed well and the followup visits in the clinic with him have been fine. His residents do most of the visit, but it always very reassuring to hear him say "You're going to be fine" at the end of every visit. I have had two other ortho drs for other injuries, and I would have to rank him as high as the others. I can't rate his knowledge level as he rarely says much technical detail to me, but I trust that he knows his stuff.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr O'Brien was great. I found his office staff helpful and friendly. I spoke mostly to his intern or assistant, i cant remember his name, at the hospital before my surgery. He just like Dr O'Brien was very informative and helpful and quickly put all concerns I had at ease. God forbid I get hurt again and have to wait another year and a half I'd definitely go straight to his office.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2013

I had a great experience with Dr. O'Brien, he was very professional, but not off putting. His staff was helpful and polite and he was very thorough and efficient in his work. I never felt self conscious about asking him questions, or intimidated in any way. Most of all, my fractured distal radius healed perfectly and the surgery was done quickly and with no complications. Dr. O'Brien is a surgeon I would strongly recommend to anyone who's in the business of breaking bones.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2012

Nice doctor! His intern too. I didn't know who I liked better. Really caring and took the time to explain my injury, and to listen to my questions. I didn't feel rushed or insignificant. The office will always return a call pretty quickly. I would recommend this doc in a minute. His English intern was so nice as well. What a treat.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2011

Dr, O'Brien is great, his staff though..... Found them very unhelpful, non caring and rather rude at times.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2009

I had to shed tears before Dr. O'Brien would actually deal with me instead of an intern. Also would not follow up with my family doctor and he would not operate on me, sent me to someone who was not capable. I have gone quite a few times to this doctor but would not go again.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2008

Did excellent work on my borken leg. I have a very small, neat scar and have healed very well with no side affects. Would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2008