Ratings for Dr. James Wong

Dr. Wong is great in so many ways. He is reluctant to give credit to complementary medicine, such as acupuncture, but is embracing the exploration of cannabis. A great guy to have on your side.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2018

I came to Dr Wong hoping he could help me. He was nothing but short, rude, and accusing. He spent a total of a few minutes with me. I left the office crying because he basically insulted me and gave me no direction or help. I am a personal trainer and nutrition coach, so I understand how working out and hormones and diet work. HE basically told me to starve myself , eat less than 1200 kcal a day and work out MORE (for 4-6 hours a day) if I wanted to lost weight( i was having trouble with hormone levels and wanted them tested). It really makes me sad that there are doctors like this out there that don't give a hoot about people.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

I have been going to Gateway Medical Clinic my whole life, and over time I've chosen Dr. Wong to be my primary family doctor because he is the best fit for my needs and personality type. He is personable and I trust his medical judgement. He has never dismissed any of my concerns or made me feel bad about myself. He might occasionally run a little behind schedule but I know it's because he is ensuring his patients' needs are being met. I'm very happy to have him as my doctor. Reception at the office has improved over time, now with the ability to speak to the receptionists over the phone and book appointments. A few years ago, I had difficultly with the reception staff when attempting to do walk-in appointments; they were rude, communicated poorly, and seems to lack an efficient process. However, my experiences with the reception staff have been much more positive in the last year or so.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

He did some inappropriate things to me as a teen-ager. Don't trust your daughters with this guy.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2016

I saw Dr Wong as a child & have since moved out of the area. My parents have been seeing him for years and years. My elderly mother was experiencing trauma and I needed to speak to Dr Wong to fill in some gaps of information (I hold personal directive for her). I was told he doesn't speak on the phone & I should come in. I explained that I live 5 hours away and was told he would get my message. I received a call from his staff (3 days later) that he would not be returning my call as he felt it was a conflict of interest. I was shocked that after many years of patronage, he would dismiss my mother's health. If you have elderly parents who see this man, proceed with caution as any collaborative effort will fall on deaf ears. I have since moved my mother close to me & found her a wonderful Doctor who cares about her as a patient and works with me to help her in the best way possible. I'm so happy she's no longer in Dr Wong's "care".

flag | Submitted May 11, 2016

Terrible doctor. Walked in after an attempted suicide attempt saying that I was depressed, he responded with a 'you don't look depressed.' Doesn't have a clue about mental health and is very full of himself.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

I really like Dr Wong. I've been seeing him for around 12 or 13 years now. I find him to be really nice and helpful and he seems to be on top of the developments in medicine and always has knowledge of whatever issue I come in with. I'm vegetarian, transitioning to vegan, and he's very supportive of that. I've never had a problem with getting referrals from him. He does appear to be tired somedays, but I don't feel rushed and he often makes jokes. I found him to have excellent bedside manner when I've had to deal with a few female issues. He made sure I was really comfortable in these situations. My only real complaint isn't with him, it's the staff there. The receptionists are often fairly unfriendly (sometimes bordering on rude) and they always ask you what you're hear for right in front of everyone. I now make sure to sit in the room before I bother answering them as I don't feel like having the whole waiting room know why I'm there.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2016

I have seen a lot of doctors in the past, some great, some not. This guy is a complete idiot. I told him I was having trouble losing weight, and that I have tried everything (personal trainer and nutrition). I was thinking it might be hormone or disease related. He basically said rarely are people have hyperthyroidism and that if I wanted to lose weight I need to work out for 4 hours a day, instead of the 2 hours a day that I already work out. He also told me to eat a (pretty much starvation diet) 1200 kcal or less diet. As a young female, I not only left in tears, but also fear for other females that might see this uneducated rude 'doctor'.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2015

The receptionists often ask patient what they are here for in front of other people, sometimes in the middle of the waiting room. No respect for confidentiality. They are often quite rude when you call and in greeting the patient. I remember one receptionist laughing at a serious question I once posed. Quite a few of these comments resonate with me strongly. I was severely over medicated at a time. Never once had a conversation about side effects or instructions on talking the medication. Often late and rushes through my appointments to make up time. I am considering finding a new family doctor.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

Dr. Wong has been my family practitioner for over 20 years, and he will always be my first choice as long as he chooses to practice. How a man can be absolutely knowledgeable, perceptive, no-nonsense, compassionate, to the point, comforting and hilarious all at the same time is beyond me. He's become more than my family doctor; he's the person I rely on when it comes to the health of my whole family. What more could you ask for from a doctor?

flag | Submitted June 27, 2015

Dr. James Wong's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.