Ratings for Dr. James Wong

I have been going to Gateway Medical Clinic my whole life, and over time I've chosen Dr. Wong to be my primary family doctor because he is the best fit for my needs and personality type. He is personable and I trust his medical judgement. He has never dismissed any of my concerns or made me feel bad about myself. He might occasionally run a little behind schedule but I know it's because he is ensuring his patients' needs are being met. I'm very happy to have him as my doctor. Reception at the office has improved over time, now with the ability to speak to the receptionists over the phone and book appointments. A few years ago, I had difficultly with the reception staff when attempting to do walk-in appointments; they were rude, communicated poorly, and seems to lack an efficient process. However, my experiences with the reception staff have been much more positive in the last year or so.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

He did some inappropriate things to me as a teen-ager. Don't trust your daughters with this guy.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2016

I saw Dr Wong as a child & have since moved out of the area. My parents have been seeing him for years and years. My elderly mother was experiencing trauma and I needed to speak to Dr Wong to fill in some gaps of information (I hold personal directive for her). I was told he doesn't speak on the phone & I should come in. I explained that I live 5 hours away and was told he would get my message. I received a call from his staff (3 days later) that he would not be returning my call as he felt it was a conflict of interest. I was shocked that after many years of patronage, he would dismiss my mother's health. If you have elderly parents who see this man, proceed with caution as any collaborative effort will fall on deaf ears. I have since moved my mother close to me & found her a wonderful Doctor who cares about her as a patient and works with me to help her in the best way possible. I'm so happy she's no longer in Dr Wong's "care".

flag | Submitted May 11, 2016

Terrible doctor. Walked in after an attempted suicide attempt saying that I was depressed, he responded with a 'you don't look depressed.' Doesn't have a clue about mental health and is very full of himself.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

I really like Dr Wong. I've been seeing him for around 12 or 13 years now. I find him to be really nice and helpful and he seems to be on top of the developments in medicine and always has knowledge of whatever issue I come in with. I'm vegetarian, transitioning to vegan, and he's very supportive of that. I've never had a problem with getting referrals from him. He does appear to be tired somedays, but I don't feel rushed and he often makes jokes. I found him to have excellent bedside manner when I've had to deal with a few female issues. He made sure I was really comfortable in these situations. My only real complaint isn't with him, it's the staff there. The receptionists are often fairly unfriendly (sometimes bordering on rude) and they always ask you what you're hear for right in front of everyone. I now make sure to sit in the room before I bother answering them as I don't feel like having the whole waiting room know why I'm there.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2016

I have seen a lot of doctors in the past, some great, some not. This guy is a complete idiot. I told him I was having trouble losing weight, and that I have tried everything (personal trainer and nutrition). I was thinking it might be hormone or disease related. He basically said rarely are people have hyperthyroidism and that if I wanted to lose weight I need to work out for 4 hours a day, instead of the 2 hours a day that I already work out. He also told me to eat a (pretty much starvation diet) 1200 kcal or less diet. As a young female, I not only left in tears, but also fear for other females that might see this uneducated rude 'doctor'.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2015

The receptionists often ask patient what they are here for in front of other people, sometimes in the middle of the waiting room. No respect for confidentiality. They are often quite rude when you call and in greeting the patient. I remember one receptionist laughing at a serious question I once posed. Quite a few of these comments resonate with me strongly. I was severely over medicated at a time. Never once had a conversation about side effects or instructions on talking the medication. Often late and rushes through my appointments to make up time. I am considering finding a new family doctor.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

Dr. Wong has been my family practitioner for over 20 years, and he will always be my first choice as long as he chooses to practice. How a man can be absolutely knowledgeable, perceptive, no-nonsense, compassionate, to the point, comforting and hilarious all at the same time is beyond me. He's become more than my family doctor; he's the person I rely on when it comes to the health of my whole family. What more could you ask for from a doctor?

flag | Submitted June 27, 2015

I have been seeing Dr. Wong for about 20 years and I would highly recommend him. If you are looking for a doctor with a great bedside manner, frankly, you maybe should look elsewhere. He is friendly, but his bedside manner is hit and miss. However, if you are looking for someone who really knows their stuff, who is up to date on the latest medicine, and who will diagnose you accurately, Dr. Wong is the doctor for you. When the situation warrants it, he will take time to talk to you about your condition and ask questions. However, sometimes, he will seem to come to a quick conclusion and it may seem rushed. This is because he is using his vast knowledge and intelligence and he knows what the problem is. His waiting room is usually full of people waiting to see him, so he needs to be fast when he can be. In an ideal world, I would prefer a doctor who has a great bedside manner and who is also an expert diagnostician. However, given the choice, I prefer a doctor who really knows his stuff and that is Dr. Wong. If you are looking for a friendlier doctor in the same practice, try Dr. Keough. Dr. Keough has a better bedside manner, so if you need a good cry, go see him. And, don't get me wrong, Dr. Keough is a good doctor too. However, you can't go wrong with Dr. Wong.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

I used to see a couple of doctors at Gateway Medical Clinic who were just fine and it is always easy to get in and see someone. But recently on a walk in visit I met with Dr. Wong. It was the worst experience I have had at a doctor's office, or in life, interacting with a person generally. He has no bedside manner, does not listen at all and is very critical and smug - when he comes in the room he just looks at you and makes a face and shrugs his shoulders, then waits for you to detail you health concerns. Once you tell him he, then proceeds to make you feel that you are totally worthless and a waste of his time. I was there to get professional advise on an issue I was having with a skin infection, as well as acne and female hormones/changes to my cycle regularity etc. and he just had no time for it. After going to an ob/gyn found out it was PCOS and am being treated for it accordingly. Just because I am not obese, and there were no other superficial signs, he didn't consider this at all and just chided me for not taking Acutane, even after my mentioning that my father suffered from mental illness, and just passed away - which is relevant as it can cause depression and is linked to suicide (on mentioning this my frustration with his attitude and entire situation made my eyes well up with tears) to which he responded by inferring that maybe I should see someone about my mental health as well. He just prescribed antibiotics for my skin and said there was too many other things going on for him to deal with. After going to this clinic for 6 years I will never go back. It was a horrible experience.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2015