Ratings for Dr. Joseph Z Shainhouse

I can't believe after reading these reviews this Dr. is still practicing! My experience last week was so similar to many of the people doing his reviews. He was arrogant, rude, short, and uninformed. My Family Doctor had sent him a letter of referral with the information related to my testing for Lyme disease. He had no information at his fingertips and blamed my Doctor for that. I'm pretty sure he hadn't look at my chart prior to me entering the office. After our short encounter (I'm pretty sure under 15 minutes) he said he thinks I have a sleep disorder and should tested accordingly and that he thinks I suffer from depression. My behavior would have given him no reason to pull that out of a hat. I drove 2.5 hours to see him, thinking I was go to a specialist's office, instead I found myself in a walk in clinic. I was disgusted!!! and I will be very interested to see his follow up letter to my Dr. if she ever gets one! I wish I had read these reviews prior to my visit, at least I would have been prepared for his attitude.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

Although doctor was very rude and lacking in empathy during my first two visits, he has turned out to be excellent over the last 7 years I've been in his care. I would recommend him 100% . As for Brenda his secretary, she's the best. Wish her health would improve so she can keep doing what she does best.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2016

We appreciate your time and especially the sage advice when meeting with you the other day. We're still at that crossroads but will be deciding shortly. 06/04/2015

flag | Submitted November 12, 2015

He's not a cardiologist. He is an internist. For some reason I was sent to him for cardiac testing!! Overall seemed arrogant and disorganized.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2015

February 2014: Looks like nothing has changed as he was rude andarrogant when I met with him yesterday. He didnt looka t my chart and when I asked him a question about my symptoms he dismissed as if I was a child and said they could not be bowel related. He didn't even ask me why I was having the scope!!! He checked my pulse in a few places and then i was done. I hope we don;t have to pay him a lot for his services as a first year intern coudl have done what he did!

flag | Submitted February 13, 2014

How disenheartening to read such consistent comments following Dr. Shainhouse pleading guilty (I believe it was 1993) to the Health Discliplines Committee which I believe by memory was the committee name (of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Toronto) for falling below proper standard of care in 1988 when my father, in Dr. Shainhouse's care, had to be transferred from Scarborough General Hospital to a balloon pump at Toronto General Hospital after Dr. Shainhouse ignored all calls from nurses while he was away from the hospital with dad actually suffering another heart attack. He continued to tell the nurses without coming into the hospital that my father was experiencing Pericarditis and told them to treat with Tylenol. When he came into the hospital for his regular shift the next morning a Cardiologist, who completed the transfer, advised our family dad had a 20% survival chance. Dad passed away a few days after at General. Still this doctor is able to practice accordingly?

flag | Submitted January 29, 2013

Rude, why are you here, dismiised my records as rubbish. He needs to listen to his patients and understand there issues. I am not there because I have nothing to do, nor do i like to wait over an hour past my appointment for him to dismiss me, like trash. Brenda at reception, just great.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2013

This doctor is demeaning in his nature and when asked a question about how we can understand whether a doctor is the best to use for colonoscopies he replied.... well you would not know how to rate one anyways, you would probably ask your girlfriend and she said she was sweet you would go to that doctor... what kind of answer was that! when asked about his answer, he told me I would not know anyways, it is the way it is. Professionally he acted very inappropriately and I would not trust him.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2012

I had a pre-op appt., with Dr. Shainhouse, pretty basic, he seemed very routine, and everything went smoothly. His secretary Brenda, of many years was marvelous to me, and went out of her way. Thanks Brenda ! Very pleasant atmosphere.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2012