Dr. Joseph I. Helman

Ratings for Dr. Joseph I. Helman

Dr. Helman and his staff were absolutely wonderful! I had been referred to Dr. Helman after being diagnosed with oral cancer in my cheek. I went in thinking it was a fairly simple thing to remove, but I will admit I was stunned when he described everything that would be done, including removal of 4 molars, a neck dissection with removal of lymph nodes, a donor skin graft from my wrist, dissection and attachment of vein and artery in that arm to my neck to give blood flow to the new flap, skin graft from my upper arm to replace the section taken from my wrist, temporary tracheotmy (which I ended up not needing) and possible 6 weeks of radiation (which I also ended up not needing). He told me right up front that he does not 'sugar coat' anything... But that is what I wanted, even if the news was difficult to hear. I found him and his staff extremely personable, caring, and always made me feel like I was a very important patient and person to them. After nearly 10 hours of surgery, Dr. Helman came out to talk with my family and reassured them that all went well. Dr. Murphy and others on his staff saw me twice a day during my week's stay in the hospital, always encouraging me and fully explaining every step of the way. I was thrilled to learn that the cancer had not spread, all margins were clean, and I did not need radiation or chemo! I am in my 7th week of recovery now, and they are extremely pleased with my progress. My utmost thanks and gratitude to Dr. Helman, his staff, and the wonderful care I received at U of M!

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

I agree with others who share in the experience of how bad their treatment was, and that Dr. Helman was very inconsiderate and sometimes hurtful, and detached from me as his patient. I had jaw surgery to correct Mild Sleep Apnea, and Mild Retrognathia (RDI of 10)and I am damaged for the rest of my life because of the poor surgical skill and apparent lack of supervision. I would not recommend anyone to have OSA Jaw Surgery at this hospital or with this doctor. He is not Board Certified, nor is he licensed to practice privately (Limited License), outside of a teaching environment. He is a cancer doctor, and maybe he can do cancer removal, but he does not care about Jaw Surgery from what I experienced. My life was completely ruined and my mouth will never be right.Nerves,joints,teeth,sinuses,all damaged from this surgery. I have never been so disappointed in all of my life after expecting to have a great future post Jaw Surgery. Now I have more problems. Asperating my own saliva

Submitted March 12, 2014

Still experiencing numbness and swelling 7 months after surgery. Dr. Helman did not prepare me for the ensuing discomfort or the duration. He was highly rcommended, but I found him too cavalier.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2014

Dr Helman is a "Wonderful" Doctor!! He saved my wife's life! She had cancer in her tongue, once the surgery had started he found another tumor that he didn't know was there, and none of the test he ran had showed it either. He ended up having to take out more of her tongue than expected and he was afraid she would have a poor quality of life and would have very limited speech and trouble swallowing, BUT thanks to his skill's as a surgeon she can talk and swallow!!! Thank God for giving him the skill to work miracle's!!!! He held my wife's life in his hands, fixed it, and gave it back to her!!!! God Bless him!!!!!

flag | Submitted July 3, 2011

dr. helman changed my life. I had sleep apnea jaw surgery 11 months ago, and it was a GREAT success. they moved both top and bottom jaw forward by a 1/2 inch. NO MORE CPAP FOR ME!!! :) i couldn't ask for a better hospital or doc. between him and his team, they answered any question i had and gave tons of great advice, helping anyway they could during the whole experience and it couldn't have turned out any better. it has now almost one year since the surgery and i have never felt this good in my whole life. the surgery/recovery took about 10 weeks, at the time it seemed to be a painful 9 months but now that i look back, it seems like it was just a few short weeks and not that big of a deal. I would recommend this surgery and dr. joseph helman to anybody who is debating on doing it. doing this surgery with dr. helman was the best decision i have ever made, and i wish i would have done it years ago. many thanks to dr. helman, his team, and everybody else at uofm hospital. go blue.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2010

I had cancer in my jaw. Dr. Helman removed it and place a bone from my leg to replace it. I am now healthy and happy without the cancer and enjoying my family.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2010

I had obstructive sleep apnea. Had difficulties staying awake during the day and couldn't take care of my children. Dr. Helman did surgery. He moved my jaws forward. Now I am cured, got my life back. I am very grateful to Dr. Helman and his team!!!

flag | Submitted August 14, 2010

Dr. Helman is one of the most dedicated and helpful doctors that I have ever experienced.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2010

Late to his appointment and the resident laughed and said he's always late to clinic. I had read the comments on him previously here so I was leary but thought I'd go to my appointment with him anyway. The resident had spoken with me and reviewed my chart when he was talking to Dr. Helman he paid no attention to what the resident had to say and told me I needed to go back for another sleep study, why when I just had one? I can't use CPAP so I had been to the Alternative CPAP clinic (who recommended that I see him) but acted like he had no idea of the results of my sleep study(He stated how do I know that you're being tired isn't a result of restless leg syndrome-duh that would have shown on the sleep study you didn't look at) I would NOT recommend him to anyone and agree with all the poor comments regarding his attitude written above.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2010

I have parotid gland cysts and a large stone in my submandilar gland,his staff let weeks go by before getting back with me.Helman insists I see a psychiatrist for dry mouth when I know a mycoplasma infection is causing this.I am also going deaf in my left ear. I have never been as belitted by a doctor and his arrogant students that run after him. Just awful experience. Trying to find another doctor.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2009