Ratings for Dr. John A Long

Dr. Long performed my blepharoplasty in 2015. He conducted no formal assessment and therefore did not take into account several important issues regarding my eyes such as orbit position, vertex or eye morphology. During the procedure he berated several plastic surgeons with excellent reputations. As a doctoral level clinician I found this quite unethical. I had serious problems starting the first week after blepharoplasty...swelling of conjunctiva which Dr. Long referred to as devil eyes (while he was laughing.) multiple styes, corneal ulcer which was diagnosed by cornea specialist but Long denied, inability to close my eyes, severe dry eye, severe lower lid retraction (which Long incorrectly diagnosed as lower lid laxity) and reduced blinking. The symptoms became so painful I struggled to get through the day. I could no longer work. Dr. Long made it clear I was annoying him with trying to get him to relieve my symptoms. Five months after surgery he said he noticed my irises were too big and he could fix that by tightening the lower lids. I sought 11 second opinions of other eminent oculoplastic and ophthalmic surgeons. All of them stated his blepharoplasty seriously damaged my eyes and told me I required extensive eyelid reconstructive surgery. They went on to say I made need several staged surgies to regain the health of my eyes. They said tightening my lower lids would be a disaster as my lower lids were already too tight. . When I presented this information to Dr. Long he stated they were wrong. I am now recovering from reconstructive surgery which cost over $40,000. Please be aware Insurances do not usually cover symptoms cause by elective surgery but my symptoms were so threatening to the health of my eyes both insurances authorized surgery. However, I still had to pay significant costs. During my consults I often heard from surgeons they saw many of Long's blepharoplasty patients who required reconstructive surgery. I would advise getting a second opinion and when you see Dr. Long ask him if there is any feature if your eyes that may contribute to bad outcome. Be sure to tell him to leave you with some distributed fal and skin below your eyes so you will not end up with hollowed out eyes. My life was turned upside down from Long's 50 minute procedure. I will be dealing with the consequences of his surgery for a lifetime. His only response to all this was he did the best blepharoplasty he could do. To be as objective as possible I awaited proper healing time and feedback from consults before posting this review. It targets only blepharoplasty as I am not familiar with other types of surgeries and outcomes from Dr. Long.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2016

I can not say enough about the staff and the facility. Dr Long spent a considerable about of time answering all my questions about the trauma my son sustained. The good news is that he did not need surgery. Dr Long was able to explain all this to me in a clear and calm manner. the staff was great. The office was great. Dr Long was super great!!

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

First of all, the receptionists are very kind. I did have a long wait, for it was very crowded. I was disappointed with the nurse. She was not friendly. My son even commented on it when she left the room. That was just the beginning. When Dr. Long came in, he did not introduce himself or really say anything except that his "fellow" had filled him in on my son's condition. Let me explain something to you. The patient is my son. We were up late the night before at the eye hospital's ER. I was told if he had a fracture, surgery would be almost guaranteed. The CT showed a fracture. We were devastated. Well, today, Dr. Lonh disregarded my high concern for my son. He acted like my questions, really us being there, was a nuisance to him. I did not let up on my questioning until I had a somewhat understanding. He finally said that his decision was not based on the CT scan, which he never viewed. He said surgery was not needed basing it on his observation of my son. I had questions because the intern had told us different last night. He finally "fumed" out of the room, not saying "thank you," "nice to meet you"(which we didn't meet), or "bye." I left that office to never enter it again. In my fourty-three years of life, I have NEVER experienced such anger, hostility and lack of professionalism from a doctor.im ranking him a 1 star on knowledge because he must have no knowledge of "bedside manner." If he does, then he just doesn't care.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2016

I had had droopy eyelids for a long time and finally wanted something done because I could tell it was interfering with my vision more and my eyes watered all the time. Dr. Long was very straightforward and to the point about what he could do, and he did just what he said. He did not make me look strange, just more bright eyed because you could now see my eyes. Never had to wait long, even when the office was full of patients and the staff was very cordial each time I visited. I really like my eyes now!

flag | Submitted October 15, 2015

I will be as blunt or straight to the point as he was.This doctor is very precise and was there when I needed him.He maintained in contact with Doctor Monheight who was performing mohs surgery to remove basil cell cancer.As soon as Doctor Monheight has removed all the cancer cells Doctor Long was there for for my grafting and repairs on my lower eye lid.Doctor Long is straight to the point .Just tells it like it is.So I say we both have that common trait..

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

I looove Dr. Long and his staff. Always seen pretty soon after signing in, very happy and friendly receptionists and nurses/techs.... My twin boys were born in June of 2012, I noticed the right upper eye lid of my smaller boy wouldn't really open.... Was referred to Dr. Metz, who then recommended Dr. Long for my son's surgery. He explained everything and more, very good with kids and me playing 20questions....surgery day came and went, healing and recovery was soo fast, you cannot see the scar, at all, it's crazy.....there are not very many docs out there right now that can do what he can, if you look him up and do your homework, he is one of the best in the country....thankfully we have him in Alabama....recommend him for all ages and eye care needs xoxoxo

flag | Submitted November 19, 2014

I first met Dr. Long in Feb. 2014 when I was having Mohs surgery near my eye at the eye foundation at UAB. He did a great job w/closing the wound and plastic surgery. I had a bump that came up in the surgical sight and it didn't go away, so Dr. Long remove it and thank goodness he biopsied it because it was squamous cell carcinoma, the other was a basil cell. More surgery last week, he had to do a skin graft this time. Yesterday he removed the dressing and the graft and surgery site look great. I am very slow to heal so this was very good news. Probably will have to have some reconstructive surgery later on, but I can't say enough about what a competent Dr. he is! Would literally trust my life to this Dr. No hurry attitude for my post-op visits. He is just a wonderful Doctor.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2014

Dr. Long performed blepharoplasty on my upper and lower eyelids to remove bagging and sagging. It has been 9 months and I absolutely love my eyes! I did my homework .... found that he is thought to be the best ... met with him to just see if I wanted to keep thinking about it or not.... felt so comfortable during that meeting that I scheduled the surgery right then. Post op was totally painless albeit not pretty! I stayed elevated and iced 20 mins on and 20 mins off for 6 days. Books on tape saved me from boredom. It was actually nice to schedule down time and give into it. I had a lot of confidence before but this has made me feel so much better about myself. His work was perfect and his office staff was wonderful to answer questions and got back to me quickly. It helped me so much reading others reviews that I just felt compelled to share my comments. Do what I did.....either have the surgery or stop talking about it! You have found the right surgeon.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2014

Dr long is great. I do not usually leave comments on these vulgar "rate your doctor" web sites. In this case a great rating is warrented. Nice guy. Great surgery. Happy outcome. Happy. Happy. Happy!

flag | Submitted January 24, 2014

I had upper eyelid surgery and am very displeased. They look like two different eyes. One lid is longer than the other and the other one sags. The scars are going to be horrible. I am going to have another surgery to correct this one.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2013

Dr. John A Long's Credentials

• University Of Iowa College Of Medicine (Grad. 1983)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal