Ratings for Dr. John A Long

Extremely pleased with Dr. John Long, professional and rotatable. Eyelid surgery made so much difference in my life. Dr. Long was attentive, answered all my questions and explained all the details of the surgery and made me very relaxed and comfortable. I experienced very little discomfort and needed no pain medications afterwards. Extremely well pleased, guarantee you won't be disappointed. C. Magruder

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

The people and all services provided to me were professional. I would recommend Dr. Long to anyone! I had little to no swelling and bruising. The outcome was better than I could have ever imagined. Dr. Long was kind and funny yet professional - immediately putting me at ease. Christy

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

My friends have had eyelid surgery from Doctor Long. They all recommend this guy. I could not be happier with my new eyelids. He is " the eyelid guy". I highly recommend! B Jameson

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017

Dr Long is kind compassionate and a wonderful guy. He was able to fix my orbital fracture and make me feel comfortable. It is scary to deal with doctors and Dr Long was simply great! I highly recommend! J Jones

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

Great doctor. Great outcome. I could not be happier with my blepharoplasty. My friends told me that Dr. Long is the "go to guy" for eyelid surgery. Had a great experience!

flag | Submitted April 26, 2017

Dr. Long was strongly recommended by my dermatologist. I contacted him and had an appointment within a week. Within one more week I was having my surgery. Dr Long was very friendly and professional, explaining each step in the procedure and what I could expect. The surgery was shorter and easier than I had imagined. I had no pain and the recovery was a breeze. I am very satisfied with the results and would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2016

I loved the process and the result of my eyelid lift procedure. Dr. Long and his outstanding staff made the whole thing as easy and worry-free as anyone could have!

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

Dr. John A. Long at Alabama Ophthalmology Associates is an excellent physician! He and his professional staff consistently make their patient care & quality of life the top priority. Dr. Long has and continues to provide me with the best possible care that is second to none! I would definitely recommend him to anyone seeking high quality eye care.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

Dr. Long performed my blepharoplasty in 2015. He conducted no formal assessment and therefore did not take into account several important issues regarding my eyes such as orbit position, vertex or eye morphology. During the procedure he berated several plastic surgeons with excellent reputations. As a doctoral level clinician I found this quite unethical. I had serious problems starting the first week after blepharoplasty...swelling of conjunctiva which Dr. Long referred to as devil eyes (while he was laughing.) multiple styes, corneal ulcer which was diagnosed by cornea specialist but Long denied, inability to close my eyes, severe dry eye, severe lower lid retraction (which Long incorrectly diagnosed as lower lid laxity) and reduced blinking. The symptoms became so painful I struggled to get through the day. I could no longer work. Dr. Long made it clear I was annoying him with trying to get him to relieve my symptoms. Five months after surgery he said he noticed my irises were too big and he could fix that by tightening the lower lids. I sought 11 second opinions of other eminent oculoplastic and ophthalmic surgeons. All of them stated his blepharoplasty seriously damaged my eyes and told me I required extensive eyelid reconstructive surgery. They went on to say I made need several staged surgies to regain the health of my eyes. They said tightening my lower lids would be a disaster as my lower lids were already too tight. . When I presented this information to Dr. Long he stated they were wrong. I am now recovering from reconstructive surgery which cost over $40,000. Please be aware Insurances do not usually cover symptoms cause by elective surgery but my symptoms were so threatening to the health of my eyes both insurances authorized surgery. However, I still had to pay significant costs. During my consults I often heard from surgeons they saw many of Long's blepharoplasty patients who required reconstructive surgery. I would advise getting a second opinion and when you see Dr. Long ask him if there is any feature if your eyes that may contribute to bad outcome. Be sure to tell him to leave you with some distributed fal and skin below your eyes so you will not end up with hollowed out eyes. My life was turned upside down from Long's 50 minute procedure. I will be dealing with the consequences of his surgery for a lifetime. His only response to all this was he did the best blepharoplasty he could do. To be as objective as possible I awaited proper healing time and feedback from consults before posting this review. It targets only blepharoplasty as I am not familiar with other types of surgeries and outcomes from Dr. Long.

Submitted July 23, 2016

I can not say enough about the staff and the facility. Dr Long spent a considerable about of time answering all my questions about the trauma my son sustained. The good news is that he did not need surgery. Dr Long was able to explain all this to me in a clear and calm manner. the staff was great. The office was great. Dr Long was super great!!

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

Dr. John A Long's Credentials

• University Of Iowa College Of Medicine (Grad. 1983)