Ratings for Dr. Jonathan K. Briskin

He is a caring, knowledgeable and great psychiatrist.. Do not judge him based on first meeting! My experience with him from admittance in the hospital compared to meeting in his office, was two different worlds. I wasn't even going to go to my appointment with him because I was so angry about my treatment during the ten minutes. HOWEVER, DONT JUDGE HIM based on how he treats you during his 10 minute examinations but how he is during his one hour meeting with you.. Maybe he gets flustered or something, I'm uncertain. In hospital, he seemed like he didn't care and was rushing, he even told me its my own fault I lost my child and left me crying for days VERSUS an office apt where he spent time advising me, looking at all my history, listening to ALL my concerns and giving me options and diagnosis! Ive come to realize he is very HONEST and blunt. He doesn't intend to hurt your feelings, he intends to tell you what nobody else will so you can cope with it, accept it or decide I'm going to get help! I misjudged and I'm so happy I showed up for my appointment after the ordeal. Him and I have met a few times now for one hour appointments and he has put me through Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the meantime, we continue to meet. He advised me on therapies to participate in and books to read. He has listened and spoke up! He was appalled by what my family doc had given me and was very blunt in saying it was the wrong medication for me. He is very knowledgeable. He even advised me to read a book "I hate you, don't leave me" to help me better understand what I'm going through and to tell him if I can relate to this. He leaves you with "busy" work or enough knowledge that you don't leave nervous or scared about a diagnosis or concern. He offers samples for as long as you need and wants to make sure the diagnosis he gives you, fits the description. He has asked for MY opinion in the diagnosis, if all the things mentioned are what I'm enduring and if I had a health care coverage in regards to my meds. So far, in eight years, he is the first to give me a diagnosis that makes sense and ear that actually hears me out..

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Prescribed me a medication he knew I can't afford (it's $200) and continues to cancel our appointments. He clearly has no desire to help anyone. I walk out of his office feeling worse than when I came in. Glad for the people who seem to be helped by him but he doesn't seem to give a single s**t about helping me.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2017

I have been to other hospitals in the last 10 years I have been dealing with mental health I flat out told him I was suicidal and he said to me well if that's how you feel you are just going to have to live with those feelings

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

He saved my life. Not the corpse I was walking around in, but the human inside of me. He is extremely intelligent and explained how my new medication would work on my brain and how it wouldn't damage me like the old med my previous Dr had me on. His name fits, he is very blunt and brisk, he says it the way it is. sometimes the truth hurts, but needs to be said. Words cannot express the gratitude that I have.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2016

Dr Briskin took my health issues seriously, and provided the help I needed. I felt comfortable sharing my thoughts with him. He really seemed to understand where I was coming from.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

I feel very comfortable , and understood. He listens, and is extremely kind and polite. He has helped me a lot. He is an excellent psychiatrist . And is very caring a companionate when it comes to his patients .

flag | Submitted April 20, 2016

Dr. Briskin spent 10 minutes with me and diagnosed a personality disorder. He asked no questions about my psychiatric history, my personal history, or the circumstances that had led to my hospitalization. He even announced that he didn't have very long to talk to me and made it quite clear he was in a rush. I made a phone call from my room in the psych ward to book an appointment with my family doc, and then signed myself the f@#$ out of there. I will never have anything to do with psychiatric care in Brantford ever again and will make it my personal mission to advise others to seek care in Hamilton where doctors actually care.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

Uncomfortable and unwelcoming. Discouraged me from getting help when I needed it

flag | Submitted March 17, 2016

My bipolar boyfriend has been seeing Briskin for five years. He is able to manipulate the doctor into getting what he wants every time he goes. My boyfriend has been manic for over six weeks thanks to this doctor giving him two anti depressants which he should not have been on. Briskin even told him they were the reason he went manic. He takes no responsibility for this and he's the one who gave them to him. He asked to start injections to be sure he was getting his medication and now sees this doctor weekly. The meds are not yet in his system and are not working. He has been told he is fine, able to quit two other mood stabilizers and able to go back to work full time. He is far from fine. He is hypomanic and will loose his job if he goes back unstable. He has already been fired from one job since this episode thanks to Briskin. When I've gone to the appointments I'm ignored and made to look like the crazy one. I've called multiple times to ask the doctor to seriously consider hospitalizing my boyfriend and am ignored. How is my boyfriend going to get better when his doctor says he's fine after seeing him for five minutes once a week. Live with him! He is NOT fine!!!!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2015

He's a well educated and passionate doctor, who is extremely polite. Don't mistake his excitement for yelling. Smiles often, listens attentively, cares obsessively, provides the best and most recent knowledge, offers samples for as long as you need and he tells you what you need to know. He never showed any disinterest even if I wasn't talking about my mental health or stability. He was maybe 5 min late for an appointment with me but it's understandable. It was just after his lunch I assume. He shares a staff worker with Dr. Book she is not always client-focused or friendly I find. She does her job efficiently, however.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015