Ratings for Dr. Brian Fitzsimmons

Around December 2014, I was referred to Dr. Selke but ended up being a patient of Dr. Fitzsimmons, regarding a 4cm subserosal pedunculated uterine fibroid. I told him I was concerned about the symptoms I was getting (heavy periods, lots of cramping, feeling of full bladder, urinary frequency) and that I wanted to try to get pregnant in the next year (I’m in my early 30s, never have had children). His recommendation was to put me on birth control, to help relieve the symptoms, but was totally against surgery and it could lead to infertility. To be honest, I was open to surgery at that point because it would have been laparoscopic (less invasive), while if the fibroid grew I knew a laparoscopic surgery would be less likely, leading to the need for a laparotomy (abdominal incision) with higher rate of c-section delivery. He mentioned that there were some drugs to help shrink but they haven’t been fully tested and that I would probably be fine, that I could even get pregnant with a fibroid and delivery a baby. Six months after being on the pill I came back to him, with less symptoms and no period – to which he exclaimed “Great! Who wants those anyways?!” I thought that was an extremely insensitive comment. He did not suggest a follow-up ultrasound to see how the fibroid was doing and just sent me on my way. I asked my MD to refer me to another OB/GYN but was told that they can only refer you once a year to an OB/GYN…I don’t think that’s true, I tried twice and was told no. In Feb. 2016 I had a follow-up ultra sound and the fibroid has now doubled in size – it’s 10x6x9 cm. I’ve developed chronic lower back pain, constipation and my urinary frequency is about 4-5 times/hour and the feeling that I’m never really emptying my bladder, along with a 3-month pregnant looking abdomen and feeling of pelvic fullness. I get cramps which are most likely related to the twisting of the fibroid. Of course if took quite some time to get a referral to a specialist and I finally saw a new OB/GYN this week and was told that if I wanted to stick to my plan and get pregnant within the next year I have two options: 1) try to get pregnant with fibroid (but she’s afraid I’d have a miserable pregnancy given the symptoms I already have) or 2) have a laparotomy (abdominal incision) which will then most likely lead to a c-section. She said that taking out the type of fibroid I have will most likely not lead to infertility as mine is not in the uterus, it’s attached, but not embedded – Dr. F, should have known that too. She also said that it’s too bad that Dr. Fitzsimmons did not see the bigger picture and try to address the fibroid soon and leave me in a position where I don’t need such an invasive surgery, knowing that I would like to have children soon. I feel that the medical system failed me in not letting me get a second opinion. I feel that Dr. Fitzsimmons failed me by being dismissive and overly assured in what he thought he knew – he lacked follow-up skills, diligence and simple listening skills. Now I have been given two undesired options and most likely have had the option of experiencing a vaginal birth taken away from me. It’s extremely frustrating and sad because had my situation been dealt with properly I would most likely not be undergoing all of this physical and emotional pain and discomfort.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

He is my doctor for 10 years. I am always getting excellent help with all my, sometimes uncommon health issues. Highly recommend both Dr. Fitzsimmons and Dr. Selke.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2016

I am so blessed I found a doctor like Dr. Fitzsimmons.I am a new immigrant from Greece, he was very kind and helpuf to me like no other doctor before ,although my english wasn't at the level I wanted but he and I we found a way to communicate.He tried to make me understand everything.I totally recommend him for sure!!!I am so happy having a doctor like him by my side.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2016

From my initial diagnosis through surgery Dr. Fitzsimmons has been fantastic. Kind caring and compassionate and ready to answer any and all questions I had. Evelyn, his receptionist is great too. I would highly recommend him and have done so to co-workers.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016

Dr. Fitzsimmons gives a pelvic exam like he's stuffing a turducken. He was unprepared for the consult overall. Afterwards, my GP told me that doctors who have short waiting lists do so because either, 1) they are new and haven't had time to build a practice, or, 2) they are unpopular with people and so others don't want to see him/her. This guy isn't new. I don't believe the glowing reviews on this site at all. If you're shopping for a doctor, keep on going.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2016

Excellent Doctor! Carrying and helpful like very few I've ever met. I absolutely recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2016

I had a really good experience here and would recommend him. Really advocated for me and I feel I got the best top notch care possible...... check him out for yourself.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2016

This doctor is always on time - they don't seem to double book like many other specialists and I always feel like I'm listened to. Evelyn his receptionist is so helpful and kind and always remembers me and my family. I would highly recommend this office, and his practice partner Dr. Petra is also very knowledgeable. Dr. Fitzsimmons did my surgery and I am so happy with the results - I finally am pain free and my periods are much much better........ it pays to shop around and find someone you really like and who listens to you......

flag | Submitted February 14, 2016

After seeing three other doctors of the same problem - I finally found someone that would listen to me and to solve my problems. The staff are super organized and on time.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2016

Could he be more condescending than he already is? Probably. His opinion of himself is far too high.

Submitted February 2, 2016