Ratings for Dr. Jan M. Hummer

My doctor sent me to her to investigate a sudden anomaly in my vision. An assistant did a superficial eye test that took only a few minutes and was the hastiest eye test I have ever had. Then I waited for some time to see dr. Hummer. She started shrieking at me because I had driven myself! No one in her office advised me otherwise and there was nothing in the brochure they sent to direct me to have someone drive me. I always drive to my annual appointment with no problem so this was a real shock to have her yelling at me. But the yelling didn't stop with that. She then asked me whether I had read about the condition on the web. I didn't know the name of the condition and do not always trust the web for accuracy and thoroughness anyway. So she started shrieking again. Her assistant/trainee was sitting behind her and had a look of disbelief on his face as she continued her harangue. Then she looked at my eye and told me I needed to have surgery which would require six weeks of remaining face down 24 hours a day and would cause significant muscle pain for the entire time until I would be allowed to resume normal upright positions!!! And this surgery would cause damage that would require additional surgery to remove cataracts. Still behaving like a shrew, she continued shrieking that the eye test just done in her office indicated that I am legally blind. It was the craziest thing I have ever heard! I had had a thorough exam two weeks prior with no such finding, and I only need correction for reading! I managed to ask the only question I needed answered, "Is this going to get any worse?" She said that it would not. The condition caused only a very slight distortion looking at trees etc in the distance. For that minor minor minor condition she urged me strongly to go thru a terrible recovery and a second surgery!!! After a few weeks the distortion disappeared. I went to see my doctor the morning after this insane episode. There is no indication of any issue that puts me in a legally blind category. This woman is the rudest most obnoxious unprofessional Doctor I have ever had the misfortune to consult.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr. Hummer's since 2004. She's a wonderful doctor with a fantastic bedside manner. She's very professional, but also caring and thorough. I had a particularly troublesome retina problem that required several surgeries. She saved my vision and was very patient and understanding about my anxieties. She always encouraged me to come back and see her if I had concerns or worries; and even encouraged me to seek a second opinion to ease my mind. This practice is very busy and they can get behind sometimes, but I'm generally in and out in under an hour.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2011

I found Dr. Hummer to be very knowledgeable, professional and focused, which I appreciate. She is friendly and caring, but not warm and fuzzy. I am quite pleased with the outcome I have after three different surgeries and feel that Dr. Hummer did an excellent job in surgery and in the follow-up care.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2011

Dr. Hummer has performed corrective laser surgery and I've seen her for 2 follow-ups. She is pleasant but business like which is what I prefer in a doctor. I would definitely recommend her.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2011

Dr Hummer was referred to me by another doctor and I told him never to do that again. She didnt seem to care for my post surgery problems, and doesnt have a good bedside manner!!

flag | Submitted August 14, 2010

Dr. Hummer has cared for my now 12-year-old son for five years now. He was diagnosed with a rare disease when he was in 1st grade and we are blessed to have been referred to Dr. Hummer. She is patient (pardon the pun) and very caring.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2008

Dr. Hummer, was rude and didn't seem like she even cared for me. I will never return to see her again. I'm urging my primary care doctor to refer me to another physician. Staff was wonderful, but the doctors are all horrible in personality. She didn't even correct the problem, she instead kept talking about my cataracts. I wasn't there for my cataracts. I was there with a Retina Issue.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2008

Dr. Jan M. Hummer's Credentials

• Spanish

• University Of Miami School Of Medicine (Grad. 1991)

• Blue Shield California