Ratings for Dr. Ricardo Cartagena

This man saved my life!!!! When my health hit an all time low and I was hospitalized, he was pulled in to consult and had me on the road to recovery in a matter of days after suffering for over a year. No one knows how much I love this man for giving me my life back! Him and his staff are amazing! They always great me by name and when I'm having health issues I can call and Dr. Cartagena gets back to me almost immediately, even when he has been on holidays now that speaks volumes!!!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

Dismissed my positive-indicating lupus blood test completely as well as several major autoimmune symptoms, chose to focus on the scars on my legs that he called a "rash". Sent me to a dermatologist who confirmed they were scars and a waste of time.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2016

Recently, I went to see Dr. C with my mother. This was the most rewarding experience! He gave her an urgent appointment despite of his long waiting list. He was very careful, comprehensive and polite. At the end I felt a real expert with all the information he gave to us. His treatment plan has worked very well. My mom and I think that this doctor is simple the best doctor we will ever meet. We are so glad to have doctor like this in our community.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2015

went to see this doctor and what a mistake and waste of my time and aggravation. what ever you do do not ask any questions about anything or the concerns with the medication effects or he will for sure talk down to you and belittle you and you will be dismissed by mr god complex. oh and what ever you do dont let him find out that you have anxiety or ocd or you will for sure be dismissed seriusly, I could not believe the things that he said to me, this man should not be a doctor. brandon is big enough time get a real rheumatologist . oh and if i am the first patient of the day why are you always 30 min late or more. remember people doctors work for you not the other way around. the only reason he didnt get one star over all is that he has good staff.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015

I've been pleased with how Dr. Cartagena has been methodically trying to uncover the root cause of my issue. I appreciate how he explains the rationale behind the tests he is taking. I feel like he respects my desire to be a full partner in my health care team.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

I found that I always left Dr. Cartagena with more questions than answers. He speaks at length using medical terminology and did not let me express what I needed to. He diagnosed me with something, but I did not hear of the diagnosis for two years because he mentioned it in passing and I interrupted his speech to inquire about what he had just stated, to which he was adamant he would have told me. His higher rating is only due to the great staff and his level of knowledge. His bedside manner leaves something to be desired.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2015

I was admitted to our local hospital x almost 2 months. I suffer from a condition which is very rare and can cause inflammation everywhere. I was very sick and I lost my mind for a period of time. Eventually, when I was even fed with tubes thru my stomach, everyone was very worried that I was not going to make it, someone decided to consult Dr. Cartagena for an opinion. He is a very busy man. he came to see me at night. He spent a lots of time reviewing the situation and coming to see me in the morning when he could or at noon or after hours. He gave me a new and wonderful medication that turned things around. Now I am at home. I can not believe that we have such a wonderful and kind doctor in town. I am most grateful. I guess if one is very sick, this is the best doctor to see.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2014

This was the worst experience I have had with a physician. I was told ahead of time he expects patients to be punctual however had to wait an hour while listening to him laugh and joke while having a casual conversation on the phone. This occurred again part way through the appointment when he left the room briefly. Not like I have a schedule to keep or appointments of my own! He was very brief, arrogant, and showed little to know interest in any of my concerns; even to the extent of raising his hand to cut me off if I began asking a question. Overall I would never go to this doctor again and would not recommend him to anyone else!

flag | Submitted May 26, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Cartagena by my physician for polymyalgia rheumatica (a disease which lasts 2 to 5 years). I felt Dr. C. was fairly knowledgable about the disease but did not take enough time to talk with me or wasn't the least bit interested in listening to me. This disease is treated with prednisone and after telling me how much to take for the next year I was dismissed and told "you don't need to come back". What if the symptoms get worse as I decrease the prednisone? Guess I am on my own! All in all I feel my own GP much more caring and understanding. I felt Dr. Cartagena was too abrupt and talked down to me. I would not recommend him and if I have to see another rheumatologist I would want someone else.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2014

(: May be a good doctor but wasn't impressed with his questions or comments made. Total waste of my time but I believe he is knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2013