Ratings for Dr. John Hou

The absolute worst dentist I have ever been to. It took me years to get a new dentist because it was just based on convenience to go to Dr. Hou. However, I now have a crown that needs to be replaced and a root canal that needs to be done. He is extremely rude and talks about his life as if you are his therapist. Would not recommend to anyone ever. He also takes advantage of your insurance plan if you have one by doing a sloppy job so that you need to come back and get more work done.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2018

Staff are nice, I had to wait sometimes as they would be late with appointments but that is typical of dentist's offices. The problem is that this man caused even bigger problems for me down the road. He did not address my bite problems for my braces, and now I need to get braces and possibly jaw surgery because he did not fix the problems for me as a child. DO NOT GET BRACES FROM HIM. When I got consultation from several orthodontists, almost everyone could determine the bite problem at first glance. Dr. Hou is an incompetent dentist. Also, always trying to perform unnecessary treatments and tries to bill your insurance to the max even when unnecessary.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2018

dr. john hou was the person from my childhood who inspired me to begin my ubc dentistry journey because of the distasteful experiences i've had in his chair. he is a general dentist who took a 2 week-long seminar on braces and decided that my complicated orthodontics case was acceptable for his amateur level training (which was verified by orthodontic specialists later in my life). he tried to push a cosmetic procedure that did not address my bite problems during 4 consecutive follow-up appointments, each time forgetting or disregarding my firm previous "no" without any additional clarification or any attempt to re-frame why exactly he believed the procedure was important (it was an enamel shaping procedure despite me expressing that i was very concerned with sensitivity). he consistently provided convoluted answers to my questions about our treatment. he made a tiny chip in my front tooth after one procedure and refused to acknowledge it indicating disregard for basic manual dexterity. he spoke with a condescending tone to me and my mother. he decided not to refer out when my case was beyond his scope of training, and i ended up with worsened bruxism and temporomandibular joint inflammation attributed to his braces. to patientss who are considering him, please consider that there are more qualified dentists who actually possess chairside manner, because vancouver is saturated with excellent dentists who will treat you with respect and perform the procedure right. to his existing patients, if you are unhappy, you have options! in a way i thank him for all of the bitter sentiments he left me because now i aspire to be a more altruistic, honest, and clear dentist when i graduate from the 2022 ubc dmd class. thanks dr. hou!

flag | Submitted May 8, 2018

Tries to rip money off of you for unnecessary procedures. Always trying to get you to do more work on your teeth. Hygienists and receptionists are nice. Got braces done at his office and he keeps trying to convince me that he did a good job on it, although I went for consultations with other dentists who all agreed that he had not delivered the results promised to me. Don't go here!

flag | Submitted January 25, 2018

My family and myself have have been patients for 30+ years. We all think he and his staff are "Superb"

flag | Submitted June 16, 2017

Horrible greedy dentist. Recommends the most expensive treatments just to line his own pocket with money. If you don't go with his recommendation, becomes dismissive and irritated. Disgusted by his practice.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2017

receptionists are friendly at first, they become very quickly dismissive. i had ortho treatment from dr. hou and he would not communicate to my mother (who speaks exclusively her native language). he withheld a lot of information from me, surprised me with the billing, did not take my concerns seriously regarding sensitivity (i know what fluoridation is... i know it's not a replacement for enamel), and chipped my front tooth while filing down my teeth. wish i spent my hard-earned thousands on sound ortho treatment elsewhere after getting a second look from another ortho.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

You don't go there unless you have a good insurance plan. He will try everything possible to consume every coverage under your insurance plan. He could ask you to clean your teeth every 3 months if your plan allows and will take x-ray on your every visit. He never admits his mistake even if he makes one. He is so monetary motivated that I even think of filing an ethical complaint with his association.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

The staff at Dr. How's office are great, the hygienists are great and friendly; the problem is Dr. Hou himself. He always conveniently "finds" problems with your teeth to suck up your insurance money so when you actually have a problem with your teeth, you have to pay the full amount. Furthermore, he is very haughty and proud of himself. I politely expressed concern about the quality of my service regarding cosmetic dentistry and instead of apologizing for the mishap and trying to fix the problem, he blamed what had happened on me. Thinks too highly of himself instead of working to see how a solution can be executed. He is disrespectful and, as mentioned in prior reviews, monetarily motivated. The worst dentist I've ever had. Will never go back.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2015

Dr Hou has been my dentist since I was 3 years old. He is the most gentle dentist and take his time to do my dental work. My whole family and relatives goes to him too. His staffs are very friendly and knows us well. I would recommend to my friends.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2015