Ratings for Dr. John Samphire

Excellent, caring surgeon; excellent staff. Explanations of what was planned and the results of operations were very clear. All the tests and scans were expeditious and I always felt I was in excellent hands. He visited every day in hospital. A very reassuring experience.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2017

Excellent, dedicated, gifted doctor. Visited me every single day in hospital. Answered questions and repeated himself so that I would truly understand through haze of painkillers. Very matter-of-fact and straight forward. Pulls no punches. Truly seems to care. Grateful.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2017

I felt confident that I was in good hands. All precautions and appropriate tests were taken and done both before and after my surgery, and explanations given. I am most grateful for the treatment I received.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2017

He is very thorough and friendly. His staff is also great. However they are very rarely on time and sometimes more than an hour behind.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016

I looked up this page in order to say how pleased I was with Dr. Samphire. I was horrified to read ANY negative reviews. Perhaps people who think it's satisfying to swear at their surgeon are the ones who need to review their manners, bedside or others. Dr. Samphire dedicated his Christmas Eve and Christmas morning to me, and afterwards he checked in on me regularly. I was never for a moment left wondering what was going on with me, and he demonstrated a great sense of humour and much patience. I could not have landed in better hands. Considering he was giving up family time at a special time of the year, makes it even more impressive that he was so dedicated. I thank Dr. Samphire from the bottom of my heart for his time, knowledge and dedication. And as an aside, the staff at Royal Jubilee was so caring and helpful that between Dr. Samphire and all the staff, I felt like a princess and didn't even mind being away from home for Christmas! Thank you Dr. Samphire. I'd say I hope our paths cross again, but maybe not in emergency!!!

flag | Submitted January 2, 2016

Great surgeon, as competent as any desperate casualty could hope, but seems to hate his patients, and people in general. Which is a shame, and at odds with his talents, although, given the way many people are, it's hardly surprising. I did have the satisfaction of swearing at him after he woke me from an anesthetized slumber, after my major surgery. Which made me laugh when I realized who he was, and the laughing hurt like mad :( Thanks Doc: great staple-job, but for heavens sake: lighten up, and fire those yahoo fake nurses, and get some real ones. See you the next time I suffer a total lung collapse, if I make it there in time. Love: DJ.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2015

Dr Samphire was wonderful when he did surgery on me for lung cancer, explaining everything so I totally understood my condition, surgery and treatment. I continue to have follow up consultations with him via audio at my local hospital, saving me trips to Victoria. The staff at his office are very helpful and Lisa makes everyone feel at ease & is extremely knowledgeable. Thank you for being so caring. Una

flag | Submitted March 25, 2015

I had a hiatal hernia operation with Dr. Samphire . Excellent doctor. Everything happened as explained. Great bed side manners. I cannot thank him enough. Darrel

flag | Submitted November 26, 2014

Dr. Samphire performed surgery on me two weeks ago. Has a really good bedside manner. His staff ,particular Lisa is very helpful. He answered my questions . Easy to understand. Visited me two days while in hospital , and had his associate Dr. Dewer visit me on my last day. I am now on the mend. THANK-YOU Carolyn

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

Excellent doctor, took the time to explain everything to my husband, son and myself before and after my surgery. The team is great, Lisa with her amazing ability to set up all appointments needed, Dr. Dewar who did an exploratory (can't remember what it was called) to check the lymph nodes weren't affected by the cancer, and Dr. Samphire who performed the lobectomy and checked up on myself and other patients daily. To my visits every 4 months to be sure the cancer has not returned. Anyone who is referred to this team is very blessed!!!

flag | Submitted May 10, 2013