Ratings for Dr. Peter Assimakopoulos

Amazing doctor overall. Knows what he is talking about, obviously super professional. Punctuality is not his mean quality, but doctors in Quebec are always late anyways. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a good doctor!

flag | Submitted January 5, 2016

Although he is a 'pituitary specialist' he is far from a Cushings specialist, and if you have or suspect that you have Cushings disease, would recommend an actual specialist like Andre Lacroix. When looking at my MRI results prior to surgery he told me that my tumor was partially inoperable, sending me into a tailspin, and not caring about the callous manner in which he told me this information (which was actually false as he is not a neurosurgeon). After surgery, after being taken off hydrocortisone too soon, I really wasn't feeling well, and came back to his office between appointments at which point he told me that I should only come back if my blood pressure was very very low (I'm assuming that would have been at a point of adrenal crisis). Because of that, I went 3 weeks with adrenal issuficiency, which was very dangerous. I was take on and off synthroid twice over a period of several weeks and told very harshly not to have any added sugar and totally change my eating habits when it was more than likely that high cholesterol and triglycerides were at least in part due to the Cushings (and indeed these went down way more than could have possibly been only attributed to diet in the weeks post op). Most egregiously he told me that I was definitely in remission with the cortisol levels that I had post op-- these were just from AM cortisol tests that were done much later. First of all, I now understand that several tests need to be done to assess remission, and these are very time sensitive. After doing much online research and speaking to people in different forums I found the name of a specialist here- based on the desmopressin stimulation test I actually do still have tumor cells left, so this would indicate that I am not in remission, as I had been led to believe. Very disappointed in my endocrinological care at the Jewish. If they don't really know how to treat Cushings disease, they should send patients to a doctor who does.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2015

The front staff are cynical and at times condescending to the patients asking for guidance. The doctor is never prepared for my appointment. The last appointment he couldn't recall anything about me, although I have been meeting with him for 5+ years. He blamed it on his computer...that all my file information had been lost. Comforting. I have asked to be referred elsewhere.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2014

Very knowledgeable. Has been working with me for my thyroid for about ten years. He is very rushed and doesn't have the time to do what he should do, but he tries. Sometimes difficult to get across to him changes in symptoms etc.; we should have changed my medication years earlier but he didn't understand the severity. He did bother to check with an allergist about my sensitivities and that impressed me. Hard to get an appointment at the hospital and his secretary at the hospital is lmost impossible to reach.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2014

Really cares for his patients...and he will explain all his decisions and anwer all questions...

flag | Submitted February 4, 2013

I am not happy w/ Dr. Assimakopoulos at all and looking for a new doctor to look after my thyroid problems. I have been his patient for the past 4 years, I see him 2-3 times per year, and yet he doesn't seem to know who I am.. Everytime I'm at his office, he acts as if I'm a new patient (all he has to do is look at my dossier before I enter his office..) He talks over me when I ask questions,seems impatient, he even smirks when I say something that might sound silly in his ears (for ex. when I ask if diet and exercise would help any..) His receptionist, I believe is his wife, is also extremely rude. Constantly on the phone, usually not w/ patients, but friends, while patients are in the waiting room. Never smiles, rarely looks at you in the eyes. You're just another medicare patient in their office...

flag | Submitted November 5, 2012

He's impossible to contact! And you wait for him very long to have 5mins of his time. I'm a young adult (24) with hypothyroidism and he has been following me for 6 years,but I havn't seen him in 2 years. He has a very poor staff,very rude and they NEVER return your calls.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2012

condescending and cold. i often leave the office very discouraged and upset. he is not approachable and when asked for my numbers he avoids the question. quite arrogant. it's a shame because he seems quite knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2012

I HAVE BEEN SEEING HIM FOR A FEW YEARS NOW.. HE DOES NOT TAKE THE TIME TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING- DOES NOT LISTEN TO MY CONCERNS - ALWAYS IN A RUSH - HE MAY BE KNOWLEGDGEABLE BUT HE GETS ZERO FOR PATIENT INTERACTION.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2011

I have been seeing Dr.Assimakopoulos for almost 4 years now. I have always found him to be very helpful and knowledgable. I had a Prolactinoma and was unable to conceive. Because of him and his treatment, I now have two children. Even now that the Prolactinoma is probably gone, he continues to see me and follow-up.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2011