Ratings for Dr. Lawrence Brierley

It's sad to see some negative reviews for a doctor and his staff who truly care. Dr. Brierley is compassionate and extremely knowledgable. I was referred to him as a result of a difference of opinion between two optometrists. The first optometrist insisted I had glaucoma without tests performed by or visits to an Opthamologist. I was given lumigran for my right eye. One month later a prescription for my left eye. Not being comfortable with the diagnosis as both eye pressures were 12 I sought a second opinion at the advice of my pharmacist. The second optometrist did not concur with the glaucoma diagnosis and referred me to Dr. Brierley. The wait was long but after extensive, thorough testing I was informed that all I suffered from were extremely dry eyes for which my optometrist would treat me. A month after starting the dry eye treatment I needed to go to emergency for extreme pain in my left eye. The emergency room doctors insisted I had touched hot pepper or something had caused abrasions on my eye. I was given two different types of medication. The following day I called Dr. Breiley's office as was not comfortable with the diagnosis or treatment. Although this eye problem was not the reason I was referred to the doctor I thought I would ask their advice. After describing my experience the technician asked if I could be there in half an hour. The time was 3:50. I arrived there at 4:20. The office was closed . The staff retrieved my files from emerg. Did several tests and asked many questions. No rushing, very patient . Dr. Brierley reviewed the info tests and his staffs restests. He told me not to use the medication provided by the emerg doctors and provided me with a new prescription along g with the advice that I would not be putting anything in my eye that contained any preservatives. My corneal abrasions were caused by the dry eye medication and I would need to stop using it . He explained everything to me very patiently even though it was well after normal office hours. He also commented that I should let them know if there is no improvement. I cannot begin to explain what a relief it was dealing with professionals who know. I have every confidence in Dr. Brierley and his staff. My recommendation is unconditional. My mother has always raved about his skills as a surgeon and doctor....now I know why.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2017

Unfortunately, I was referred to Dr. Brierley as the result of pictures of my eyes showing narrow channels, as well, there is a growth under my upper lid on my right eye. Dr. Brierley attempted to remove the growth but was unsuccessful. Without monitoring my eyes, immediately preformed a laser treatment on both eyes. After attending emergency due to pain and stinging, he prescribed drops and announced there was damage to my iris. He was not available for the two follow up appointments I made however, an orient women looked at my eye, was not familiar with the problem and was extremely rude . . . in the office while others were waiting, shouted, "all I want is to complain". Now 5 months later, my eyes are still blood shot and watery with a film coming up over my right eye periodically causing blurred vision. Dr. Brierley is willing to forward my file on to someone else. . . . . blames the happenings with him and his staff onto me.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2017

I first met Dr. Brierley several approx 8 months ago as he was recommended to me by my Optometrist. I paid the fee for the 2 examinations & consultations that were required. I was pleasantly surprised at how comprehensive the examinations were and how extensive the range of required hi-tech medical equipment was. The staff performing the exams were professional and courteous. To make good decisions I need good information. In the end I got great value for the examination & consultation fee I paid. Dr. Brierley gave me good information about my situation and explained the pros & cons of the various options available to me – including doing nothing. There was no pressure on me to go ahead with any surgery, or to choose any particular option, or to choose a more expensive option. It took me a few months to decide to have the surgery done, and in the end I chose the have the most expensive high-tech lens inserted. Both surgeries went well. Dr. Brierley, his staff and office procedures were great. Several post surgery check ups were included at no additional charge. Though the surgeries and the healing went fine, in the end I was not completely satisfied with the way the high-tech lens was performing in one of my eyes. It is easy for mediocre businesses to perform ok on routine standard work. It’s the difficult cases (like mine) that separate the mediocre businesses from the great ones. Dr. Brierley offered to do a 3rd surgery to remove the new high-tech lens in one eye and replace it with a more standard one. To my surprise he did not charge me for this 3rd surgery or for the cost of the 3rd lens. Further, without me even asking for it, Dr. Brierley’s office refunded me the original difference in cost between the more expensive lens surgery and the standard one. Dr. Brierley did a lot more work than planned - for a lot less money than contracted. I’m now totally satisfied with my vision. I’m one happy patient! PS: Most Doctors have a busy waiting room – especially the good Doctors. Plan ahead for a bit of a wait, bring your favorite book or some computer work. Don’t waste those precious minutes – they can be a gift during an otherwise busy day. ☺

flag | Submitted January 9, 2016

Dr. Brierley's follow up and attention to problems is terrible, in my experience. I had cataract surgery performed by Dr. Brierley. At first the results were spectacular but then I began having problems with the vision in one eye. I kept going back and complaining about it, was given cursory treatment and a quick in and out each time - after all, I was no longer contributing to the profit margin. After several months of incorrect (as it turned out ) treatment and being unable to identify the problem, he finally referred me to a retinal expert ( took 6 months to get in) who instantly found the problem. It was a result of the cataract surgery and needed to be corrected by further surgery. Although my vision is now improved after retinal surgery, it is still blurry and nowhere near as good as it was initially, and never will be. I feel that the loss of vision in my eye could have been avoided if Dr. Brierley had been willing to spend the time to find the problem,or refer me immediately to someone who could, rather than paying superficial attention to my concerns.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2015

Dr Brierley was described to me by two of his former patients as the Ophthamologist that MDs go to to have their own cataract surgery. After having both lenses replaced with the Sympony Lenses, I am astounded at the results. Glasses are not required. Dr Brierley was patient and helpful, explaining what to expect and the differences between the different lenses available. His staff are superb. I was given the full battery of tests to determine the exact state of my eyes, vision and the current condition of my cataracts. The staff were professional, polite and extremely competent, significantly more so than many other medical offices I have attended. All in all, I am extremely impressed with the outcome.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2015

Very rushed. I didn't mind waiting the hour assuming my care would be the same (taking the time that was needed) but I felt rushed and a little "bossed" around during testings. One of Dr brierleys helpers were pulled aside during my examination with me to be punished for something, I felt a little awkward from that point on. Seemed a little unprofessional to point out a wrongdoing Infront of patients. Dr brierley himself seemed a little high strung, but professional. I'll give it another go with my follow up

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

I went to Dr Brierley for my eyes . I was not interested in finding a new best friend, a golfing buddy nor a new companion...I went to get my eyes fixed. Some one below says "he's just cares about money" .. Well, if I was responsible for a professional staff of 10 -15 I would be bloody concerned about income. Who else will pay them - not to mention the overhead? CAn you imagine what one of those machines that is used costs? Anyway, so what if he likes money? Who doesnt? That's why, in Danny DiVito's words " Its called money!" He works darn hard as far as I can see and as far as I am concerned he is welcome to whatever he makes. His staff were polite, professional, helpful and first class. There is a good atmosphere at Dr Brierley's clinic. Perhaps the person below who was dissatisfied should look to his own conduct. Usually we get what we give. OK so there were delays. Big deal. Do you want a Dr. to rush his procedure on you in order to fit a time schedule? I'll wait thank you! Besides, I had to wait 2 months to get a plumber, 3 months for a carpenter... So I waited an hour one day - as I said - big deal. Lastly I will say that no surgical procedure ( and I have had a few) is guaranteed and I was cautioned about that. One cannot expect perfection given our imperfect bodies and reactions. So did I get what I wanted? Unequivocally "Yes". A talented, experienced and skillful Dr., supported by a great surgical team, did his best and I can see wonderfully well. I recommend Dr B to everyone.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2015

First class. He and his staff are caring, professional and highly skilled.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2015

My experiences with this doctor have been negative. I would not use him again. I have no confidence in his abilities.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Rushed, terrible staff, waited hours, knowledge is good overall

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015