Ratings for Dr. Derek Barkhuizen

Dr. Barkhuizen is a great guy. Friendly and pleasant. I suspect he has lost interest in doctoring or grows tired of long term patients and their problems. He is happy to write a prescription and send you on your way. He is not proactive. Seems to be the norm with Canadian doctors. Get you in and get you out asap. Next ...........

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

I find Dr Barkhuizen very approachable, I never feel rushed and he listens well. He is wonderful.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2015

Pill pusher. No real medical options just take this pill or that pill. Sad to see as he was once a good doctor. Now he does not listen or seem to care.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2015

Dr. Barkhuizen sets a high standard for other doctors. He is thorough and patient. He is always pleasant and approachable.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2014

flag | Submitted February 27, 2014

Everything I went to him for resulted in testing for arthritis except one issue that he didn't ever really address. Not the best, but in Penticton having any doctor is a blessing.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2013

Dr. Barkhuizen sets a high standard for doctors. He is pleasant, concerned, not rushed, thorough, and most importantly - extremely competent. His receptionist is a very nice lady. I am very comfortable visiting this clinic. I rate 10 out of 10

flag | Submitted April 11, 2013

This was a Dr that I had seen for some years and during every appointment i had, all he ever asked me to do was touch my toes. Needless to say, the check ups were less than thorough... barely satisfactory if that. I am now with a new doctor and feel that I can take my time to explain the things that need to be address rather than be pinned down to a one question per visit rule. I cannot even begin to explain the difference between my new physician and this Dr as it is a comparison of night and day. There are many doctors in town and I would have to strongly recommend shopping around before settling with this fellow. Just because he has a title before his name it doesn't mean that you are getting quality care. Thanks

flag | Submitted July 24, 2012

He took over the practice from another doctor,who I liked very much. Dr.Barkhuizen seemed okay at first, then all of a sudden my pharmacist called him for a refill on one of my prescriptions, and the receptionist tells him I was no longer his patient. I was never informed why he dropped me as a patient. When I called in to ask the receptionist told me she sent me a letter, I told her I never received any letter, and she just said well you are no longer his patient. I was so mad, since no doctors where taking new patients and I am a kidney patient,I had a kidney transplant so i need to see the doctor quite often. guess he just didn't care about that. So i had to go to the walk in clinic every time I had a problem, and they don't know my file. luckily after about 3 month my nephrologist Dr Cooper, had a friend Dr Frasinski who was willing to take me on. I am so happy now. I think Dr Barkhuizen should be ashamed for just tossing me out like that without any explanation.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2012

Punctual. Approachable. Understated. Listens. Does not make you feel rushed. Explains alternatives well. Able to establish rapport with old and young with varying issues and medical needs. Not pill pusher. Seems to have good well rounded and up to date medcal knowledge. Good insight into his patients psyches and needs. Friends and family I recommended (when he was accepting new patients) are also very satisfied with care received. The receptonist is nice and professional.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2012