Ratings for Dr. Gavin Semelhago

Went to emerg after tripping over a baby gate. 3 toes were swollen and bruised. He came into triage room, said hello then grabbed my injured foot with 1 hand, started whacking my toes with heel of other palm, and in BABY SPEAK, says poor lady she stubbed her toesy, maybe she needs cwrutches, poor poor lady, stubbed her toesy. After I was able to breath and get up I immediately left hosp saying loudly in waiting area to my husband, lets get out of this ____ hole, hes no dr gonna look after me. I wrote into hospital on their site, never heard a word back. Now here I am week later still needing medical attention for foot as toes are still swollen twice normal size , can hardly walk, still bruising and unsure where I should go, Palmerston emerg is a definite no .

flag | Submitted March 5, 2017

I like him. He's more than a pill dispenser and is willing to listen. We've been with him for 19 years.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

Good Dr, needs to slow down and listen to patients. Feel like he never has time to listen. Hard to get an appointment. Nurse is terrible! Not gentle with needles or blood taking.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

He is so kind and has been my family doctor for years.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016

I waited in the emergency deptarment to see him for 2 hours with my five year old daughter who was sick for over a week. He finally came and checked her for less than 1 minute and told us she had a virus and to go home. He didn't take time to properly examine her or explain anything. I took my daughter to see my own family doctor two days later and it turns out she had strep throat! My doctor gave her antibiotics and it got better right away. Unbelievable! My duaghter had to suffer for no reason because of him!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2014

He was my family physician for years. We are now in a larger town with a huge clinic and I miss the personalized service I received from everyone at Dr. Semelagho's office. There are always appointments available for urgent needs and I rarely had to wait very long as he's not a big talker and keeps things moving. My mother died of Breast cancer and after my first mammogram he phoned me personally after supper to say the mammogram was clear. My sister took prescription drugs for 20 years for an ongoing condition. When he became her doctor he was the first to say she should be getting monthly blood work to check liver function and set that up. We lived in Scarborough and never got the level of care we received when we lived in this small town. He's extremely hard working, and a good diagnostician. He cares about his patients. The office is organized and well-run. The community is lucky to have him, and I hope they realize it.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2013

After my 2 year old had a slip and fall at the playground we where referred for an x-ray for a suspected broken arm. After the staff at the hospital took the x-ray and confirmed the broken bone they called in the local doctor (Semelhago). He arrived very quickly and did a quick exam and told my wife and I to take our daughter home and it will heal on its own. The next day while at work a message was left on our phone, he looked at the x-ray after we left and the arm was "indeed broken and if we think a splint would help come back in and see him". If we think it would be helpful aren't you the doctor?? A trip back to our G.P. and then a referral to a surgeon in Guelph and 2 hours later my daughter was in having 4 pins put in her arm. Now the scary part, if we "let it heal on its own" like Dr. Semelhago told us in the emerg. room the surgeon estimated my daughter would have only had 20-40% range of motion in her arm for the rest of her life. WATCH OUT FOR THIS GUY!!!!!

flag | Submitted September 4, 2013

Has been my family MD for years. He's great when you actually get in to see him - to get an appointment is like pulling teeth sometimes. My cousin has the same Dr and can get in the same day, but when I call it can be up to 3-4 weeks to see him. When you do see him, he is polite and helpful. I find he cares about my health and he is honest when talking about my health. I wish he was more open to other forms of health than physical because he lacks on knowledge in the mental health field - passing people off to counseling with out investigating further. Receptionists seem "too busy" to deal with patients, and I always feel I'm a bother to book an appointment when I see him once a year if that.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2013

I have been with this doctor for almost 20 years. He is always willing to answer your questions. He will call personally with test results. He is a great asset to our community.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2012

I have had Dr. Semelhago for 7 years now and My family loves him! He is definitely a great asset to our community and I am very greatful for his patience and understanding.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2011