Ratings for Dr. Mark Young

At 23 my GP referred me to Dr. Young. He was as everyone says very abrupt and rather rude, had rather poor "Bedside" manner. He seems to have a set pattern neurological exam- MRI, was certain I had a tumor, either brain or spinal. Came back month later and he was, shall I say, a bit more humble-diagnosis MS. That was nine years ago. So rather simple work-neurological exam, MRI-MS-reads loudly into tape recorder- refers you back to GP-MS clinic. Pretty easy work, no stress there-IF he left his practice due to a heart attack he's about to find out how abysmal some doctors are, such as himself. I'd recommend he watch that William Hurt movie "Doctor." There are lessons for him to learn.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2008

I had seen Dr. Young once about 16 years ago - could not find anything. Then with some neurological symptoms - re recommended additional tests that could also be relevant- which found a thyroid tumour - As the tumour was unrelated to my symptoms, he kept seeing me once yearly over 5 years - more tests and then confirmed I had diagnosis of MS. When telling me the news - he gave me info about the type of MS I had, medications that could be available and referred me to the MS Clinic for follow up. He is a brilliant doctor - what other people may find as rude and arrogant - I found as very quick and thorough, in order to see as many patients as possible, as there are limited specialists in our city. He dictated his letters to referring GP while I was in the office, so that I knew what was said and recommended. I appreciated his candor with me. Unfortunately, he has suddenly quit his practice (I heard it was a heart attack) - I wish him well.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2008

years ago I was diagnosed and treated by Dr.Young for familiarel tremor - which helped me greatly over the years. I found him very pleasant - good sense of humour and never had to wait long in his office.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2008

I have to agree about the lack of book keeping and communication in the office. I truly appreciate his knowledge but to not have my results from 7 months ago, for a test HE ordered is a little hard to swallow. I would think that Neuroloy is a little more important than perhaps your latest throat swab report, although let's face it, if you order it you are responsible for the result. The accountability is just a little lacking. What is disappointing is that I provided the facility a copy of his letter stating that he did not have the results to interpret and they handed me copy with the orginal faxed date as 6 months ago. So, now I have the result, I just have to wait 2 months to see my GP to see what his advice is. I hope you are recieving more comprehensive care regarding your health issues and that perhaps when you return you'll have a litte more compassion for those us who are not doctors and that seek you advice out of respect of your knowledge in a specialized field.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2008

Rude, arrogant and dismissive. Had seen him twice and aske my GP not to refer me to him again.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2008

My 2nd last appointment, I said, "Hi, how are you"...I then spent 10 minutes of my 15 minute appt. hearing about his recent health issues. Are you kidding me?! It's rhetorical for goodness sake. His record-keeping is abominable - every appointment I would get asked things like "Why did we order that EEG?" "Why were you on the Tegretol again?" How about you write down some symptoms in my chart and stop talking over me into your dictaphone. He doesn't want to do his dictation after hours, so he talks while you talk. It's totally dysfunctional. Thank goodness he's retiring. The irony is my main symptom was memory loss. I should have just answered, "I forget".

flag | Submitted November 9, 2007

Two years ago I had an unusual and worrying symptom, and after a thorough examination Dr. Young came up with the correct--and rare--diagnosis. He also arranged for an MRI to make surethat nothing was missed. He was very pleasant and courteous. Like other people have mentioned, the door to his examination room was open. It didn't concern me because I could not see anyone in the waiting room. And in the waiting room, which is quite far away, I could not see inside the examination room, nor hear any conversation that was taking place. I felt lucky to have seen him, and would want to see him again if I had another problem.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2007

I saw Dr Young over 10 years ago. I have the same digusted opinion as others .He wisked me in, did a few simple neurological tests and set me up for an MRI. He saw me with the results, told me I had MS and pushed me out the door. No compassion for the devastating news he dropped. No advise on what to do,other than to say take it easy. what the heck does that mean to a mother of a 2 & 4 year old and working. No advice to seek the MS Socety for help. No professional advice on what to expect, what was going to happen, what to do or not to do. I guess he saw me, and sent in his bill for a office visit. Upon trying to set up another appointment his secretary told me that if I wasn't worse he wouldn't see me. I just wanted to ask a bunch of questions. What kind of doctor is that? He is sure proud of his huge pictures of Winnipeg Jets hanging in his office and I'm sure of his other possessions that Manitoba taxpayers are paying for. Too bad he isn't doing his job.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2007

Dr. Young is probably a knowledgeable man, but he is arrogant and rude. Poor people/patient skills. When you voice a concern you have about your health, he will brush you off to the point of making you feel foolish for asking. A good doctor not only has to treat the patient, but also has to allay some of the fears they have concerning their health, because we're not all as knowledgeable as they are. If we were, we wouldn't need to see them in the first place now would we?

flag | Submitted March 9, 2007

I agree with the privacy issue he does leave the door open and talks loudly into his tape recorder for everyone to hear. I now am under the care of a new Dr. who I am very happy with and he doesn't share my private health concerns with the waiting room.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2007