Ratings for Dr. William Howden

Dr Howden has many personalities from great Dr to poor Had to go to him for flying medicals was very good.When started having health problems sent me to specialists right away unfortunately does not always believe other Drs reports on conditions.I am on a large amount of drugs due to several medical conditions but does not want to increase pain medication even when recomended by several different specialists his opinion is the meds I am on should be sufficient .I would like for him to have as much pain as I have and then see how he copes each day.May be time to Quit for Dr Howden

flag | Submitted May 15, 2009

Dr. Howden has been my doctor for as long as I can remember. He's always up front and honest, and if he doesn't know what to do he's more than willing to send me to someone else, which I really appreciate. He respects me as a patient, and actually listens to me when I know what's wrong with me (I have many recurring health issues related to allergies, and he doesn't insist upon re-diagnosing me every time I go in like most doctors). Yes, he's old. Yes, his hands shake. However, his hands become steady as rocks whenever it comes to actually treating anything. As to comments on his age and past problems with alcohol, I think this talk is more representative of what people in Portage are like rather than a comment on his abilities. I'm sure he's messed up more than once, but he saved my uncle's life, greatly extended my grandfather's, and has kept me in good health for over 20 years.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2008

I have been going to Dr. Howden for many years and find him to be a very good dr.and very friendly. He always listens to what my problems are and treats me with respect.I would not go any where else.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2008

I've seen Dr Howden for two pregnancies, and found him to be compassionate and competent. He didn't hesitate to send me for lab tests and ultrasounds if something was out of whack, which really put my mind at ease. I've never had to wait very long to see him, and his nurse is very nice. Would recommend him to friends and family. And who cares if he's a recovered alcoholic? Kudos to him for getting his life in order.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2007

I have known Dr. Howden for 30 years or more, since his days as a Flight Surgeon. Dr. H has always listened and responded appropriately to my problems or illness, although I don't require frequent visits to the doctor, he has always provided excellent care when it is needed. He is our family doctor and has been since Dr. Collier moved to Winnipeg. I know he is planning to retire next year and we will surely miss him. It's wonderful to have a doctor who participates in the local community, playing hockey, raising his own family here. My husband has an ongoing illness and receives excellent care and advise. He is always willing to listen.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2007

This Doctor gave me something i was elergic to, when it said CLEARLY in my file that I WAS NOT able to have it. I cvould have died if I actually took the meds. Good thing the people at shoppers caught the drug interaction and said they were going to call him to see why he gave me something I could not have. Stupid stupid doctor! Do not go to see this doctor!!

flag | Submitted June 18, 2007

I THINK DOCTOR HOWDEN NEEDS SOME WORING ON ALL IN ALL.HE IS MY FAMILY DOCTOR AND THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHERE I LEAVE HIS OFFICE WANTING A NEW DOCTOR,THEN THERE ARE DAYS WHEN HE IS GOOD SO IM CONFUSED AND HAVE MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT HIS PRACTICE.AND MAYBE IT'S TIME HE THROWS IN THE TOWEL.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2007

Personally I really like Dr Howden! As my physician he always makes me feel better about my questions that I have and he takes the time to answer them unlike many new doctors that are more apt to push you out the door to take the next number! He is always courteous, takes his time with my questions and answers them to my satisfaction, and shows concern for me when I have problems that need fixed and does his best to help fix them, or send me to a specialist if need be. If that isn't a good doctor then what is?!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2007

I agree with the previous comments about this doctor. I have seen him in emergency as well as an office visit and was highly dissatisfied both times. The first time was to have stitched removed, his hands were shaking so badly I thought I would need stitches again to repair the cuts and nicks i would get when the scissors slipped. I also saw him in the emergency room when i had a chest infection. I had to wait there for over 2 hours, and when he finally came to see me he reeked of after shave and told me it was just a bad chest cold, to go home and if it got worse see my family doc on monday. I did see my family doc monday, who looked at the same xrays as Howden did, and said i indeed had pneumonia, which i had tried to tell him in teh first place. This doc is barely qualified to be a morgue technician, let alone work on live bodies.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2007

What good can I say about this dr? I think he is past his prime and is just waiting to retire really.I cannot stand the way he treats me when I have had to see him.First time? I was in for a pregnancy Test. He asked if I took Birth Control, I said I did. So he refused the test because if I was on Birth control pills there was no way I could be pregnant. 2nd I got 2nd degree burns while at the air show and went to see a dr about what treatment I should do This was a large portion of my body that was burnt. He looked at me and said wear sunscreen next time. Thanks Doc. I now have perm scaring and a perm tan. Dont eve let him take stitches uot. SCARY!

flag | Submitted March 2, 2007