Ratings for Dr. Forrest Caldwell

Dr. Caldwell is fine in terms of knowledge and "being a doctor." What I found though is that he was very belittling and quite rude when I saw him on numerous occasions. The one that stands out the most was during mu undergrad when I went to see him about getting a doctor's note for a midterm that I had to walk out of due to a severe migraine. I have seen my family doctor in my home town about migraines my entire life and have prescribed medication that more-or-less puts you to sleep. I don't use this medication lightly. I only use it when absolutely necessary. I have had numerous scans of my brain and have been told it isn’t anything serious other than really bad migraines. Unfortunately one these migraines happened during a midterm. When I spoke to my professor, he was very understanding and informed me that I needed a doctor’s note and he would re-weight the midterm to my final. I saw Dr. Caldwell for this and he basically told me that my migraine wasn’t that bad, that I was a baby, and that he didn’t feel like I should be asking him for a note as he was physically present when the migraine occurred. Obviously he was not in my 2nd year midterm. After lecturing me and raising his voice and asking questions like “do you feel like you are succeeding in other courses,” “do you feel like university if right for you?” As a 2nd year who moved 6 hours away from home and was finding it hard away from my family, not to mention being stressed about missing the midterm, Dr. Caldwell’s questions and lecture made me cry. The nurse or med student in the room with us looked sympathetic towards me. He didn’t apologize and when I started crying he walked out by saying “you’re note will be at the front, its $25.00.” I ended up not getting the note from him. I called my family doctor back home and she faxed on over no problem. All in all, he isn’t a bad doctor in the sense of his knowledge but he is, however, a very rude, uncompassionate doctor who would be best suited somewhere other than a university campus clinic.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2017

Although I graduated I used Dr Caldwell in undergrad and for my post grad. I was gone for 3 years and when I came back he knew immediately who I was and that I played a varsity sport in undergrad. I've tried a few of the doctors at student health services but none of them were as good as him. I loved that he answered my questions in a straight forward manner, was talkative during awkward paps (with the nurse in the room of course) and also asked my permission before allowing an RN student to do my exam. If I hadn't of graduated I'd still be using him!

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

I have had multiple issues with Dr. Caldwell. I was seeing him for a few years and have since switched doctors at the university. For starters he is very slow, takes a long time to type & in listening to your concerns as a patient. Second, he loves to lecture students. I have been prescribed medication for diagnosed & documented mental illness for more than three years now. When I told him I wanted to switch the SSRI I was on because of muscle spasms, nightmares & ongoing nausea caused by these meds, I was told that this was the end of the road for me - in his words: "you see, if there is a patient with diabetes - there are things they can no longer have, like doughnuts" I asked him what he meant, if he was implying that I was eating metaphorical doughnuts. He asked me what I thought. I said he was implying that school and simple minimum wage work to pay bills was my dougnut. He said, "I think you just need to accept that you should lead a quiet life." I asked, "are you saying I shouldn't be working or studying?" He said: "If that's what you think." And I said, "I don't think that at all. I would just be sitting at home doing nothing and not supporting myself then." he said, "If that's what you think you need to do." I said, "No it's not." We continued with a long arguement where he raised his voice at me to 'teach me,' about how I need to accept that "there are thing I cannot do," finishing with, "I'm just old fashioned like that." He's very able-ist for a doctor who claims to understand mental health. He was prescribing me a very old SSRI and I have since pursued a different treatment plan with another doctor who is much more knowledgeable. I've argued with him on multiple occasions - he's refused to renew prescriptions for inhalers that I have been prescribed for asthma for more than a decade because he didn't trust I knew how to use them. Very patronizing, especially to women students. I had to visit walk in clinics to get my prescriptions renewed. He's made comments to my friends while giving them vaginal examinations that were inappropriate - about how women complain about these examinations though they are not that bad - while she was receiving an examination he was ranting about whining women!! Very old fashioned boys' club mentality. He needs proper training on how to treat students equitably or retire.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2016

Useless, couldn't even open a cd with xrays. I had to help. didn't do what I was referred to him for. only pushes his own facility for physio. never told me the cause of my issues or offered any permanent solutions. just wants the revisits for billing I think.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2015

BEST DOCTOR EVER! I can't believe someone would think anything other. He is a wonderful man and doctor. He is so patient, listens, makes sure you are comfortable and really demonstrates that he cares. He is the one doctor who actually listened to my concerns which lead to my diagnosis, one that I was waiting 20 years for. I can't be more thankfully for him. As the below comment says, ladies, you need a pap, he's the best doctor to go to. He doesn't make you feel uncomfortable and informs you of everything he is going to do. He really takes client centred care to heart. A++

flag | Submitted February 4, 2015

Seriously, the best doctor I have seen. He has such a caring way of talking to you, and seems genuinely invested in how you are doing, with a good sense of humour. I have seen him a few times, and aside from helping me feel SO much better, he knows what he's doing. Ladies: if you need your PAP, GO TO HIM! He's VERY GOOD! Fast, gentle, no nonsense, talks you through it, overall an empathetic and caring man. I am very appreciative of him.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2014

I can't tell you how greatful I am for Dr. Caldwell. I came into the university multiple times with urinary tract infections and that women my age can get this quite frequently. I came into health services keeled over in pain, with tears down my face and he said "How are you?" and I just looked at him. He said "I can see you have had better days" and then got to business. He immediately told me something I didnt want to hear, but it ended up saving my life. I was going into kidney failure and 1/4 of my abdomen was filled with hydronephrotic fluid at this point. He was the one to finally stop sweeping the issue under the rug. He went through every medical test I had gone through, for a good couple of months until I had to have my kidney removed. The people on here who think he is hard, or uncaring are wrong. If you want to see a knowledgeable, no B.S doctor, Dr Caldwell is it.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2013

He is really unhelpful doctor I ever had. I went for examination where he barely paid attention.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2012

Dr. Cauldwell has to be the best doctor I have ever had. He is amazing. I have been to countless doctors with medical problems that others just dismissed and told me it was all in my head. Dr. Cauldwell listened, believed and is the man that lead me to my long awaited diagnosis. For this I thank him. He is such a friendly man with a wealth of knowledge. I just wish I was still allowed to go to him after leaving Guelph.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2012

Dr. Caldwell is amazing. I have never felt more comfortable, cared about and happy around any other medical professional in my life. I would put myself on the waiting list for months specifically to see him, that's how good he is. I really miss him now that I am no longer a student at UofG. For those of you who haven't had the best experiences, consider the way you acted that day too. Don't expect a doctor to know what's going on with you when all you do is say you're 'fine'. He, like you, can't read minds! And he certainly doesn't have x-ray vision so no, he can't see everything that's wrong with you. You want help? Help yourself by being completely open and honest [right off the bat] with your doctor. I'm sorry that you didn't have a good time but this guy is DYNAMITE and for people who understand sarcasm/laughing to make serious things less so, tackling your problems hands-on (vs being melodramatic/attention-seeking), and want compassion and caring, he's the doc for you.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2011