Ratings for Dr. George D. Kofinas

I have been going to Dr Kofinas's office for 3 years now and I have always had a terrible experience with their front desk staff and nurses. All the doctors are very nice and seem to know pretty much what they are doing. This place is more like a factory because the doctors and the nurses never remember who you are and most times forget to do the necessary protocol. For example, on the day before an IUI is scheduled, forgetting to tell you to give yourself the trigger shot. If you go here you have to be your own doctor in a sense. Although I have been successful both times at this office, for new patients I would recommend going to a different office, where they are more compassionate and patient. The front desk is also very rude and the nurses seem to be annoyed to sonogram you. You can hear them whispering about you behind the nurses station and they make you feel very uncomfortable.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

The best!! I Started seeing Dr. Kofinas after spending a year with another doctor on Staten Island. In that year I did IUIs and IVF and had multiple miscarriages and the other Doctor told me I would need an egg donor. Dr Kofinas said that I definitely DO NOT need a donor and that I likely had endometriosis. He did surgery to remove it and got me pregnant with my own eggs on the first try of IVF. I now have a healthy happy baby!

flag | Submitted April 12, 2016

I can't say a bad thing about Dr. K, the other doctors, and staff. As hard as it is going through all this, it is comforting knowing you are surrounded by a staff that really cares about your success. I am forever grateful for being recommended here, I hope to have good news in just a few short weeks after having the IVF procedure done. Good luck to all!!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016

I am going to be brief. Dr. Kofinas and his staff are amazing. I am writing about my experience 17 years ago. I was having a hard time conceiving and after months and months of clomid, prescribed by my OBGYN, I was referred to Dr. Kofinas. I met with Dr. Peter Brzechffa first, he had amazing bedside manner. Then I went through a series of tests and then a meeting with Dr. Kofinas. We discussed my game plan and he worked with my insurance company with the meds I needed. I took me 2 rounds of injectables and I was pregnant with Triplets. Well what more can I say. This practice is amazing. I know people who were told they could never have children and Dr. Kofinas made it happen. You must follow the directions exactly, he is strict and never give up hope. This practice is amazing.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

This doctor is excellent! We are happy to announce the birth of our baby- who is a miracle because of Kofinas!

flag | Submitted February 5, 2016

My husband and I were unsuccessful trying to start a family for over a decade when Dr. Kofinas' name came to our attention highly recommended! We were not disappointed. Him and his staff are amazing! Very kind, patient, attentive and thorough finding out the cause of the problem. We are truly blessed to be expecting our first child this fall! We highly recommend Dr. Kofinas and thank him from the bottom of our hearts!

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016

we are happy to announce that we have finally been released at the 12 week mark from the care of Dr. George Kolfinas, and after two years of unsuccessful attempts Dr. Kofinas made it happen! we were referred to him by a friend, and after doing some research on the SART site we quickly realized he was the person to make our dreams come true. his partner Dr Brzechffa has the best bedside manor and is so positive throughout the entire process. their staff in staten island, roseann and amanda are awesome and very supportive. they made a very tough process very smooth, and helped us with everything we needed. if you live in staten island you will have to go to methodist hospital for some visits, but most will be in the SI office. we definitely would recommend him for infertilty, and if you look him up you'll see his success % is the highest around.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

My entire experience at the Fertility Institute was amazing. Drs. George Kofinas, Montes, and Narine are wonderful/caring physicians. If you want top notch expertise and care in infertility, please go to the Kofinas Fertility Institute (you will be in the right hands). They are very thorough and will get you on the right treatment plan. They don't miss anything and follow you very closely. If I ever had a question or wanted to be seen earlier than scheduled because of a problem, they would happily see me with no problem. The doctors returned my phone calls very promptly and always updated me on how my embryos were doing after my egg retrieval. I am pregnant via IVF on my first attempt and I'm forever grateful to these three physicians in helping me to achieve my first pregnancy. Looking at that first positive pregnancy test was the most wonderful feeling in the world. The office and nursing staff were amazing as well. They always greeted me with a smile and always helpful. Everyone there (doctors, nurses, office staff) made each visit a positive one. If I ever have to have IVF again, I will not think twice about returning to the Kofinas Fertility Institute. They are amazing!! They are the best of the best!

flag | Submitted November 2, 2015

Dr. George Kofinas is the expert in IVF. I'm happy with my decision to allow him and his wonderful team help me have a baby. He is an excellent doctor and got me pregnant on my first IVF cycle. Don't look anywhere else. He is the best of the best. I assure you of that.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2015

I would not recommend the Fertility Institute to anyone. The Fertility Institute (and Dr. Kofinas) is a baby factory conveyor belt, where patients are not treated as individuals with unique health histories, but rather as a number (with a dollar sign over their heads). I will also qualify this review: I did end up getting pregnant through IVF at the clinic, and my insurance covered all my treatments there - so this review is NOT sour grapes because I didn't get pregnant or had to spend a lot of money. I was moved to write this review because of the consistently poor care I received. The Fertility Institute is first and foremost a business - not a practice, not a healthcare provider. It is clear from all their processes that their main goal is making money. It is a conveyor belt of women who cycle through each day (on some mornings there are more than 50 women in the waiting room). They are a baby factory and everyone gets the same treatment. If you ask questions, or want to know more about the treatments, it is a total inconvenience to them. They don't have time to stop the conveyor belt to give personalized treatment. They run TONS of tests and don't explain what they're looking for, or the results. I had test results that came back and no one said anything to me - 9 months later (when I was finally pregnant) I was informed that because of my earlier test results I had to be on two different medications and was therefore considered "high risk". Why didn't I get these results at the time they came back ? I have no idea. Had I had that information earlier, I would've had time to get a second opinion or make some diet/lifestyle changes that could've possibly prevented me from being medicated during pregnancy. When I broached the topic of transferring out of their practice to a regular OB, Dr. Kofinas pulled me into an office for what can only be described as a fear-mongering lecture. He listed all the reasons I'm extremely high risk, and used the word "baby killer" (referring to ATG thyroid antibodies I tested positive for) several times. What kind of practitioner talks to a pregnant woman that way (referring to something in her body as a baby killer)? When I pointed out that I already have a child (conceived naturally, non-medicated pregnancy, who is perfectly healthy) when I theoretically had all these life-threatening conditions, he laughed dismissively and said I may think my daughter is "normal", but there is actually a range of normal and she's probably at a lower level of normal than she could have been, if only I had been in his care at the time. WHAT?! Somehow the conversation went from him telling me how defective I am, to insinuating that my daughter is abnormal (who he obviously has never even laid eyes on). I would never talk to another human being that way, much less someone I was charged with "caring" for. After trying to scare me with threat of miscarriages, physical delays, and mental retardation (his words, not mine) for 10 minutes, he explained that the only way for me to have a safe pregnancy and a normal baby was to stay in his practice, because they conveniently have a high risk perinatologist (his brother!!!). Suddenly it all made sense - fear-mongering pregnant women to keep them in their practice so they can...make more $$$. It's a conveyor belt that likely ends with a c-section. This 10 minute conversation with Dr. Kofinas is perhaps one of the worst conversations I've had in my life with ANYONE. He was condescending, arrogant, dismissive, rude, and made me feel terrible. I left his office in tears. 3 months later, I had a consult with a maternal fetal medicine specialist, who immediately took me off the Lovenox that Dr. Kofinas prescribed, citing that the studies that indicate Lovenox as treatment for my particular "risk" are more than 10 years old, and that this protocol isn't followed by any other clinics he knows of. Additionally, I was on steroids for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy because of positive thyroid antibodies, and the second opinion I got asserted that I never should have been on the steroids in the first place. The studies that indicate steroids for thyroid antibodies specifically exclude the type of antibodies I tested positive for. The risk of cleft palate/lip is doubled when you take steroids in your first trimester, so now I'm undergoing additional screening for a risk that is caused by a medication I didn't even need. In summary, I would never in a million years recommend the fertility institute to ANYONE. The Kofinas brothers have quite a racket going - run tons of unnecessary tests, use fear-mongering and scare tactics to take advantage of what is already a vulnerable population, and put them on unnecessary medications to ensure they are "high risk" and therefore must stay in their high risk perinatology practice. There MUST be better places out there.

Submitted September 2, 2015

Dr. George D. Kofinas

Dr. George D. Kofinas's response
My dear patient. It is always painful for any physician to find out that one of his dear patients wrote a review as damaging to his reputation as your review is to my reputation. For sometime now I have added to my busy schedule another task , which is to check the rating sites and my patients reviews good or bad. I take those reviews very seriously I analyze the reviews , discuss them with my staff, draw conclusions and apply the newly acquired knowledge into our every day practice at The Fertility Institute with the goal of improving the quality of the care, the level of service and the satisfaction of our patients experience with us. We learn a lot from these reviews and for this reason we are grateful to our patients for showing us how they perceive a service as good or poor quality. I am fully aware that no matter how hard we try to achieve excellence there will always be an occasional patient that is dissatisfied and possibly unhappy with the service they receive from us for one or another reason. At The Fertility Institute we strive to accomplish the following two goals. Our first goal is to make an accurate diagnosis of the problem or the problems that prevent the patient from getting pregnant, make an individualized treatment plan and help the patient conceive as fast and as economically as possible. Our second goal is to assure that the pregnancy will be uneventful free of complications and culminate in the delivery of a healthy baby that has achieved as much as possible of it's GENETIC POTENTIAL preferably 100% of it. We accomplish these two goals with compassion for our patients, full understanding of the emotional distress they experience on a daily basis as they go through this difficult journey in their quest for a baby. This effort is supplemented by our vast knowledge of the infertility problem, unparalleled expertise and surgical skills, 30+ years of experience and proprietary technology developed at the Institute in the last 30 years of practice. In your review you state that I practice fear mongering. Of course this is your interpretation of the information and advice I gave to you in my effort to maximize your chances of going through an uneventful pregnancy and take home a baby as perfect as nature intended it to be. I WILL LEAVE IT UP TO THE READERS OF YOUR COMMENTS TO DECIDE IF THAT WAS FEAR MONGERING OR GENUINE CONCERN OF AN EXPERIENCED CLINICIAN ABOUT A RISKY CONDITION THAT NEEDS TO BE ADRESSED IN THE MOST ATTENTIVE WAY BY AN EXPERT THAT UNDERSTANDS THE PROBLEM AND KNOWS HOW TO MANAGE IT. Regarding your daughter I never insinuated that she is abnormal. What I said was that we don't know if she achieved 100% of her genetic potential. At this point I would like to mention that patients with problems similar to yours unfortunately experience a 50% pregnancy loss rate if they are not treated aggressively as soon as a pregnancy is established. Again this is not fear mongering. THI IS A FACT!!! A 50% pregnancy loss rate is too high for me to ignore especially on a patient that went through a lot of trouble to conceive. You mentioned that we see our patients as a number with dollar sign over their heads. I am heaving a lot of difficulty to comprehend this. How did you draw this conclusion? Since when is it a crime to be compensated for a first class service you provide? Last but not least I want you to know that this experience has been twice as painful for me since I know where it is coming from. I wish you had not interpreted what I said the way you did or at least you had called me and discussed all these things with me and to give me the opportunity to explain in more detail all these issues that had troubled you before you take any further action. To close this all , myself and the staff that took care of you during your treatment wishes you from the bottom of our hearts , good luck , have a joyful pregnancy and deliver a healthy, beautiful and intelligent baby.

Submitted September 3, 2015

Dr. George D. Kofinas's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Greek