Ratings for Dr. Steven E. Pennington

Dr. Pennington has been my ortho guy for 15 years. He's amazingly accurate with steriod injections that allow us to put off the knee replacements for some time. He is a great surgeon who has up to date knowledge that is really useful. He has performed 7 major surgeries on me and has ALWAYS been very knowledgble, and has a great bedside manner because he truly cares for patients. The negative messages I see below amaze me. This is not the Dr. Pennington I know, and keep seeing as he helps me to comfortably manage my issues.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2017

Arrogant and uncaring. I wouldn't send someone I didn't like to him.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017

This was the most callous bedside manner I have ever seen, and if I could leave no stars that would be my choice. Dr. Pennington treated my wife's screaming-in-pain levels of injury was as if he were talking to an idiot child, and he repeatedly spoke in a condescending manner when referring to my wife's high level of pain, use of a wheelchair as a result, and our frustration with his unwillingness to do anything more than tell us "it would be fine." When asked about the injury, he said "Oh, that injury will heal over time," and when confronted with the fact that it had been getting progressively and steadily worse for the last three months since the injury occurred, suddenly changed his mind and said "Oh, that's normal and to be expected." His only medical assistance was to recommend a physical therapist after tweaking my wife's injured area repeatedly when asking about irrelevant areas, even after being told specifically the area of injury. When told that the current pain levels meant that physical therapy would be impossible without medication to help control the pain enough to perform the therapy, he regarded us as if we had grown additional heads and said that "He wouldn't have recommended the current level of medication" to my wife, who again was unable to sleep more than an hour or two at night due to the pain for three solid months. I would highly recommend seeking out any alternative professional, or pediatrician, or even a street peddler; Any of these would be more helpful and display more human emotions than we received from Dr. Pennington. We had expected that we would get a referral for physical therapy, and hopefully additional medication to control the pain, but we were not expecting to be treated with a vacuum of compassion, and blatant annoyance at my wife's crying in pain in the office.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2015

The nursing/med staff is great; the front counter people seem to be a little testy most visits. They're a little off of appt. times, but it is because Dr. is willing to spend the time to listen and figure out what's going on. This extra time he spends helps me to understand the mechanics of what's going on. I'm no Dr. but he seems to know his stuff.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2013

I've had a large bursa (?) on my left shoulder for several years. I've had multiple Doctors diagnose it, and every single one said the same thing, "I've never seen anything like it, and would need an MRI to know for sure." I was recommended to a specialist, Dr. Pennington who would most certainly know what it was. He spent very little time with me, though he claims otherwise. When I attempted to show him my left shoulder he brushed it aside and did not look at my left shoulder. There were no x-rays, or MRI's taken. He told me it was most certainly a bursa, and the only thing to do was to have surgery...which probably wouldn't fix it and would need done multiple times. We discussed my financial situation briefly, (I can't afford even one $15,000 surgery, let alone multiple ones.) Now I am being charged $150.00 on top of the $75.00 cash I gave him for his "diagnosis." I do not recommend Dr. Pennington, and feel cheated.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2012

I have a used Pennington before when I had knee surgery.It was great.When I had to return again a few years later, it all turned around. He barely looked at my x-ray, said he could do nothing, lose weight. I didn't know what I could do. Finally went to other dr, surgery went great had no problems.Stepping into a whole I hurt my knee again, being referred to the good old man again, I thought maybe the last time I saw him was a fluk.Waited in the waiting room for 3 hours, dr came in didn't even pay any attention to what I was saying, wouldn't do anything.The doctor did not do a finger to even find out what might be wrong, he would not listen or even look at the x-ray. It was not a fluk that he was rude to me the last time, I will never go back.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2009

knowledgeable. explains so you understand. very good dr.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2009

5 year old daughter broke her leg and Dr. Pennington was kind, helpful, thorough all the way. She had to be placed under general anaesthesia to set and cast the leg and doctor was caring and informative. He predicted the outcome and all went well. She's all healed up and has no negative memories. Thank you Dr. Pennington.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2007

Pennington did tendon surgery on me and called it correctly going in. Results were excellent. Explains things very well. A+

flag | Submitted December 14, 2006

I have had differing appointments with Dr. Pennington. He did an arthoscopy on my knee and came highly rated by friends in the area. Being new to the Moscow area I tried him out. The follow up has been mediocre at best. One appointment it will seem as though he hasn't bothered to read my chart and the next appointment he's extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Today will mark my last trip to him as I left his office feeling very humiliated and embarassed by the things that he said to me.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2005

Dr. Steven E. Pennington's Credentials

• University Of Tennessee College Of Medicine (Grad. 1997)

UnitedHealthcare