Ratings for Dr. Matthew B. Gavin

Excellent Surgeon... Operated on my Mom successfully 3 times and corrected my broken foot (3 severed metatarsals) flawlessly.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2017

I've had two knee replacements and several other orthopedic issues that I've seen Dr Gavin about. He's the best orthopedic doctor I've ever seen. He has always been the ultimate professional in my dealings with him. His staff is always accommodating and I've never had an issue getting an appointment to see him. I don't go to see him for his staff's personalities. I see him because he's a competent physician. I have recommended him to many of my friends and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2015

I am a very active 59 year old female with severe arthritis in the right hip. Dr. Gavin performed a total hip replacement in Oct 2014. I am overly pleased with the the replacement. His professional attention to my surgery process and details was excellent. This included making sure both legs matched in length and discussions on the healing process and my exercise program. Dr. Matt Gavin is a professionally passionate physician and I would 100% recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2015

Dr. Gavin has treated my orthopedic injuries for many years. He may run behind at times I know that it is because he will spend as much time as needed with his patients and not make them feel rushed. I feel very fortunate to have such a competent orthopedist for myself and family.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

He is an angry man. I could have easily been killed in an auto accident and he questioned me like I was a welfare, tax cheating, insurance defrauder. I probably make half his money, but am honest and didn't deserve to be nailed by the red light runner and again victimized by Gavin. His staff cancelled my mid morning appointment, and called my residence, when I had already checked-in, but was sitting idle in my car. I wasted half my day on the appointment. I heard he may have drinking indiscretions and it was apparent when I was his last Friday appointment. Not a nice nan. I saw another doctor in Reston who conveyed that Gavin misspoke about my MRI, which was deemed unremarkable and will be outlined in my complaint with the commonwealth. Gavin never once reviewed any related scans with me, which you would think was typical. I wasted 4-5 months on 3 appointments with Gavin and finally got the medical care that I deserved from day one. I was steered in the wrong direction and would see Cavanaugh had I been better informed. His photo is also at least 20 years old, which seems to be very strange.......

Submitted November 4, 2014

Dr. Matthew B. Gavin

Dr. Matthew B. Gavin's response
I am sorry that you feel this way. There are times that appointments are cancelled due to emergency surgical cases that arise. We do our best to notify patients right away if there needs to be a change in the appointment time or day. My interpretation of the MRI was consistent with that of the radiologist. I am happy to hear that you found a physician with whom you feel comfortable.

Submitted February 26, 2015

I have never written an online review up to this time, but I feel obligated to share my experience. Dr Gavin has been an incredible orthopedist who was knowledgable & even called me after hours to answer some questions I had about an injury. However, I would never go back to his practice. His staff is unfriendly & quite short with patients. They can be heard complaining about specific patients in the waiting room. I was 15 minutes early to my first appointment with paperwork already filled out and I waited to see Dr Gavin for one hour. My appointment lasted 15 minutes. My second visit, I coordinated around his lunch so he wouldn't be backed up. He was triple booked at my appointment time (I know bc his nurse brought back 2 people before me). I waited 40 minutes & my appointment lasted 10. I work in a dental office. I understand that doctors want a booked schedule, but I also know that doctors can have a successful business without wasting the time of their patients. Never going back.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2013

Dr. Gavin is a wonderful and professional physician. He is mild mannered and very thorough with his exam and explanation. I have no idea what the poor comment was about. I have never found Dr. Gavin to be anything but concerned for my health and my knowledge about my options. I would highly recommend his services and would not consider going to anyone else in this area. When people give bad comments about physicians it is usually because it is all about them. They fail to realize that doctors have a life also and regardless of Dr. Gavin's reasons for being late, he did show and owed them no further comment. Their negative attitude is what caused the issues to begin with. If you have a health issue that involves surgery, please consider going to Dr. Gavin. He is the BEST!

flag | Submitted January 1, 2013

Dr Gavin is a great surgeon and in- office- practitioner. He is mild mannered, on time and very thorough.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2009

Very thorough with questions and physical exam. I've never felt rushed through an exam. Feel very comfortable with his diagnoses.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2008

One of the nurses directed us to this site to express our frustration and attitude of Dr.Gavin. Front desk said Dr.is out morning hunting, when he came late, he did not apologize, and said was tied up in the OR. Whom to believe? Then he gets upset when you ask him questions; it's our body, and we need patient full explanations, even if they are considered stupid. He gives you the look like do not tell me what to do. When one minute he is nice, next minute he gets irritated and impatient- he is charging us and we are paying our deductible, and all we get this quick 20 mins rush. Perhaps he is fine in surgery where there is no communication with the patient,but his office patient-physician interaction is very rude and needs improvement. Go back to him? No! Recommend him? At your own risk!There are others orthos in that office, bur will go elsewhere, for better treatment.

Submitted March 8, 2007

Dr. Matthew B. Gavin's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1985)

MSP/BC Med