Ratings for Dr. Paul Gurland

Dr. Gurland delivered my son. I didn't get a chance to meet him at the clinic, but he was the doctor on call during my delivery. Yes Dr. Gurland is tough but amazing.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2017

I was referred after an abnormal pap. His bedside manners were awful and the scrapping was the most painful I've ever had. I admit I cried a little. However, when I came back for the results he was very knowledgable and delivered my results with a much better attitude. He was very reassuring and answered all of my questions. His bedside manner might be terrible for the most part, but at least I feel confident his knowledge is there. My health is the primary reason I go for these screenings after all.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

Worst experience ever this place should be closed down having a baby should be the most amazing feeling for me it was the worst experience of my life do not ever go to this place save your baby.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2017

He is such an angry, mean person. He doesn’t care if he’s hurting you. It actually felt like was intentionally hurting. So sad.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

I heard about dr Gurland and i told everyone I did not want to get him because he had horrible bedside manner. I got him and he did my high risk c section. He was amazing. I think he is a brilliant doctor and his bedside manner was acceptable to me. This was my 2nd c section and he did an amazing job. I was very impressed

flag | Submitted October 25, 2017

Since I wasn't looking for a new best friend but a highly skilled, knowledgable and excellent surgeon, it was a perfect fit. His staff is incredible especially in the operating room. BTW, I found that his humour is dry but he is a very pleasant and funny man. Grateful my referral landed in his office.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2017

Upon being called to have my 20 week appointment scheduled at this clinic back in July, I found out that Dr. Gurland was my assigned OB. I immediately started reading reviews on here which left me nothing short of terrified. I have a complication with my placenta this pregnancy and had already been admitted for a couple of days at the hospital prior to the appointment, so was nervous at the thought of having a doctor with zero compassion or interest treating me. All I can say is I'm glad that I read these reviews before going in! I was pleasantly surprised. Dr. Gurland may be gruff and brusque and may rarely crack a smile but he is extremely knowledgable and thorough. He reviewed my file, answered all my questions and put me at ease when I was nervous about him doing an internal exam for fear that it would aggravate my complication. This being a rotation clinic, I have since had 4 appointments and have seen a different doctor each time but have not had Dr. Gurland again. The other doctors all definitely have a much warmer bedside manner but they ALL rush through their appointments - that is certainly not specific to just Dr. Gurland. The clinic is definitely busy but I have never had to wait more than a 1/2 hour- 40 minutes to be seen ( I have waited longer at my family doctor's!). The front desk staff and the nurses are always polite, accommodating and professional. The cons, however, of being seen at a rotation clinic is that you have to start over each time and repeat your medical history to whichever doctor is seeing you at that particular appointment. This is my third pregnancy so I don't necessarily find the cons of this clinic tiresome but I can certainly understand how a first time mum may feel disappointed and/or overwhelmed at not having enough time at each appointment or not having a dedicated OB handling their case. Be prepared to review your case each time and ALWAYS have a list of questions ready to go.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

This doc isn't warm and fuzzy- but he is extremely professional, kind and competent. I've been seeing him to treat early stage cancer. This could of course be a terrifying experience. However, his calm demeanor, explanations and knowledge have had an incredibly calming effect on me. His staff are all awesome, warm and friendly. He's a busy guy for sure- but always answers my questions and I trust him.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

Dr. Gurland was the worst Dr. at the CVOBG offices. I only saw him a handful of times as you cycle through the various Dr's and he was constantly pushing to induce delivery early without any further tests to confirm the necessity. When I tried to discuss the options because I did not want to induce he used scare tactics and basically told me I'd die giving birth if I didn't have the baby early. These were obviously used to scare me since when I saw another Dr the next 3 visits the appropriate blood work was done and that Dr was ok with letting me carry to term. Of course on my 40wk visit I got him again and he scheduled induction for the next day and it was horrible. When talking to friends who had seen him as well, it was the same story....scare tactics to induce delivery earlier when other OB's (from the same clinic) tell you it's fine to wait and do the proper tests to see if it's actually necessary. If he's trying to induce early speak to another Dr!

flag | Submitted September 1, 2017

I delivered my first baby July 21 at credit valley hospital. Dr. Gurland was the doctor on duty when I went in with contractions the morning of. While he doesn't speak much to his patients and isn't an outgoing personality, he's an amazing dr ! I had a vaginal delievery and almost had huge tearing instead he did what was necessary and made a cut to avoid tearing , he is very good , very knowledgeable and knows exactly what he's doing. I'm not 2 weeks postpartum, healed great & had no problems. I really was lucky to go in while he was on duty he really knows what he's doing. Amazing Amazing dr !

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017