Ratings for Dr. Desikan Kadambi

I recently had the custom wavefront eye surgery done by Dr. Kadambi, with amazing results. I had worse vision than 20/200 and already have 20/10. I have hardly any discomfort. He is a personable doctor who is funny and makes you feel comfortable. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2015

This man is a terrible excuse for a doctor. He should not be doing ANYTHING to anyone with regards to looking after eyes. He used to live in Brandon MB and ended up being banned from surgery there, so he moved to Winnipeg. He is now banned in Wpg from performing cataract surgery and god knows what else, but still does Lasik, so that tells you how unregulated the lasik industry is. Please watch the 16x9 video on Lasik. You can google this or find it on YouTube. Kadambi has wrecked so many people's eyes, but still manages to continue on. He's been sued so many times, it's hard to count the number now, but you won't find these results online because he gets his lawyer to remove them all. It's bad for business, you know. I personally have had my eyes completed demolished from this fraud of a doctor, who gave me steroids for almost 5 LONG YEARS AS A CHILD !!!! I'll be lucky if I can get another 5 years out of my eyesight, after what he did to me. This idiot should be barred completely from anything to do with eyes, period. Do yourselves a favor and find somebody REAL, and not a fraudster like him who does anything for money/greed.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2014

Dr. Desikan Kadambi

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's response
Sorry for the delay in responding to your feedback. Any doctor treating any patient (child or adult or very elderly) has to prescribe medications for treating a disease. Prescribing steroids and using it for years is needed in some cases. Any medications have side effects but we have to use them as not using them may have more serious problems. If I did not use the steroids in your case you may not have any vision now. There are cases we have to use steroids for long periods in children which have some serious side effects. Some cases of Iritis in stills disease in children may need prolonged steroid use. Unfortunately there was no other alternatives at that time. The College of Physicians and Surgeons has the ability to remove a doctor from practice, but it isn’t on a city by city basis. In Manitoba, a physician loses their license to practice in the province as a whole if the college determines they are unfit to practice. All physicians are required to conform to the guidelines and regulations laid out for the standard of care. Any deviation from these guidelines was not tolerated and criticised by the peers. Some physicians often pushed these boundaries in the interest of the patients. In the early 70s the guideline for Cataract surgery was a vision of 20/200 or less. In the early 80s lens implants after cataract was supposed to be done only on patients over 85 years old. Now some surgeons are removing clear lenses and putting multi focal lens implants (more expensive and more invasive than Presbyond* LASIK) so people don’t have to wear reading glasses or progressive lenses It is true that I originally operated out of Brandon. I am extremely grateful for my Patients, the medical and nursing staff in Brandon for letting me introduce lot of new ophthalmic procedures in Manitoba. I was the first to introduce soft contact lenses in Manitoba years before it was made available to the Optometric community in Manitoba. Brandon was the first to offer lens implants routinely to every patient having cataract surgery. I introduced day surgery for cataracts one year before it was introduced in Winnipeg. Lens implants in children were introduced in Brandon years before it was done in Children’s hospital in Winnipeg. The doctors in Brandon had their parents from UK or other Canadian provinces to come to Brandon for their cataracts operated by me. Some of my previous patients who have moved away frequently contact me before going ahead with treatments advised by their ophthalmologist. I chose to move from Brandon because it is too small of a city to support a refractive surgery centre. That is the reason why I started the first laser vision correction centre in Winnipeg in 1994. I was travelling between Winnipeg and Brandon. The travelling was very cumbersome and i gradually tapered off my practice in Brandon. Like many doctors or clinics The College had some complaints about refractive surgery by me at Eyetech. The College has found no instance of any wrong doing either by me or by Eyetech Lasik Clinic. Since the 1990's we've had 16 small claims courts, in most cases, the judge dismissed the case. It is an unfortunate reality in this profession that a small number of our 40,000+ patients over the last 20 years decided to go this route, but this is the same reality for any Laser centers. There has been no wrong doing or negligence was found in any one of these cases.

Submitted August 11, 2015

Recieved my surgery late 2013. Have not been happy with the effects at all. They said that things needed three months to settle and now that it's been three months, still not happy. I feel like I have a blurry spot constantly almost always in one eye, eyes feel strain, get sore, feel like there's a film covering them when I'm really tired. Then this past week, it feels like one eye is not the same vision, or close, as the other eye and this causes strain and I have been sleeping a lot because it's hard to put up with all day. I'm going to be going in soon, but have a feeling Dr. K will just say there's nothing wrong again like my last appointment and now I have to pay for an exam with my optometrist. I expected better results. They said if I had bad night vision and sensitive eyes to the sun, this wouldn't get worse, but both feel way worse. It burns my eyes practically to go outside in the daylight now which wasn't the case before. :( waywithwords13@hotmail.com if you wish to discuss

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

Dr.Kadambi is very pleasant and friendly. After having my lazer eye surgery completed 6 months ago I can truthfully say I found this doctor to be very competent. I am 72 years of age and I have 20/20 vision. Prior to surgery I had some problems operating my cell phone without glasses. I am so carefree now as I do not need to search for my glasses when I wake up. Having peripheral vision again is wonderful. I would highly recommend Dr. Kadambi. In the past 9 months I know of four people who have had surgery by Dr. Kadambi and all are very very happy. I highly recommend him and this procedure.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2014

I went for the procedure about three years ago, and could not be happier. I was a bit afraid, as I only have sight in one eye. I was re-assured it would all be good, and they were right. I would go through this again in a minute! The way I look at it is:I am willing to pay 3000 dollars for two weeks away in the sun. I paid about the same for 3 years of good sight. I recommend Dr, Kadambi to anyone needing corrective surgery.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2013

I had LBV surgery on Feb.16/12 which is a LASIK procedure that enables you to see close up out of one eye and distance out of the other. I had the procedure done to eliminate my need for reading glasses. My distance vision was excellent at 20/15. The procedure went horribly wrong and I now need corrective lenses for both distance and reading. I wear a contact in my left eye for distance which also serves as a band-aid because my flap edge is so jagged that my eyelid catches when I blink. I also had extensive cell growth in both eyes which caused my vision to be very blurry. Dr Kadambi told me that this was normal and to give it time but with time it only got worse. As my pain was constant and my vision continued to decline, I had no choice but to seek a second opinion. I was referred to another doctor and to date I have had 3 treatments to repair the damage done to my eyes and I am on the road to recovery. I highly recommend Image Plus to anyone considering eye laser surgery.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2012

I had a good experience. I had a strong prescription before my surgery but now I can see better than I could with glasses. It has been a little over six months since my surgery and my eyes seem to feel similar to how they felt prior to my surgery. My eyes are still a little dry sometimes. I use drops approximately once a day to remedy my dry eyes. Based on my results I would recommend Dr. Kadambi. I found all of his staff extremely friendly and accommodating. I found the wait times for my appointments were very reasonable. I also appreciated the fact that Dr. K doesn't seem to nickle dime his patients. I had a few extra forms that I needed him to fill out and he happily filled them out with no extra charge. Thanks for my new eyes Dr. K!

flag | Submitted December 29, 2011

I had the laser eye surgery yesterday and it was amazing. Staff was wonderful with consult appt and day of surgery. The doctor put me at ease with his assistant and the actual eye procedure was done in a matter of minutes. No pain and feeling great. Back to work the very next day no issues. Would reccomend to anyone to go here and get rid of those glasses. Very happy customer!

Submitted July 22, 2011

I had Fraxel laser done, The doctor himself didn't do my procedure, it was his assistant who did it. I was not comfortable with that at all. during the procedure i think there where suppose to be to people in the room, because while doing my fraxel laser assistant asked my sister to pass her the equipment that she needed and to hold the fan on my face. For this fraxel laser, for me to see the results, i needed to go through up to 3 procedures which were 1 month apart each. So, then i booked my next procedure a month apart. My booked my 4days off from work a month ahead. But then i get call from the clinic 2 days before my surgery. They asked me if they can re-scheduale my surgery to some time. Cause the doctor is not going to there. I was so mad and pissed off. I told them no i took 4 days off from work already this was done a month ahead. The Staff there was no helpful at all. I lost my wages from work and got a horriable services. On top of that they don't return your calls.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2011

Dr. Kadambi in my opinion is one of the best trained opthalmologists in the laser surgery industry. He has been around for longer than the other guys who wouldnt even touch the laser stuff before. Now they ve all jumped on the bandwagon. There are rumours around about him being after the bucks. Well anyone who starts doing laser is out for the same thing. Hes worked with and trained by the gurus in the industry. He's got the latest technology and gives options for treatment. He is very personable and talks on the level. The staff is great and very helpful. He's got a great package going for customers/patients from the time you step in, till youre out the door. And the results so far are more than i expected. You wont know it till you go in and see for yourself. Literally!!

Submitted March 3, 2010

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Kadambi is a member of the American Academy Of Ophthalmology, the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, and the International Society of Refractive Surgeons. Lasik Surgeon Dr Kadambi has specialist qualifications in Ophthalmology from 3 countries. Before specializing in ophthalmology he worked in Plastic surgery, Orthopedics and trauma surgery and general surgery. He trained in ophthalmology at Birmingham Eye Hospital in England. After obtaining his FRCS from Edinburgh He immigrated to Canada. His extensive training in microsurgery enabled him to introduce new techniques in Manitoba. He was the first in Manitoba to perform Posterior chamber lens implants, multifocal lens implants and foldable soft lens implants in Manitoba. Being a pioneer in lens implant by Rotary Club of India. Along with his friend the late Dr. Norman Stahl of New York he held training workshop at Poona in India. His poster presentation in American lens Implant Society on modifications of Choyce Lens implant triggered a flood of modifications of Anterior chamber lens implants to make them safer. He became interested in refractive surgery in 1983 and He opened the first Laser Vision correction center in Manitoba in January 1994. In 1995 he started to initiate for the approval of LASIK in Manitoba. When it was approved in 1999 he was the first to perform LASIK. Since then he has performed over twenty eight thousand procedures.

• English

• UNIVERSITY OF MYSORE (Grad. 1959)