Ratings for Dr. Desikan Kadambi

I had the laser blended vision surgery 3 years ago. Previously my distance was -7 and I needed +2 readers. I had tried contracts, tri-focals; I was at the point I just couldn't see regardless of what I was wearing. After over 35 years of not being able to see when I woke up in the morning, the LBV surgery was life changing. Teresa and the other staff are amazing. My experience with Dr Kadambi was extremely positive: in the consultation he asked many questions about my work and hobbies to determine how the surgery might possible affect my lifestyle. The surgery did impact my macro vision slightly (I used to be able to see very close up extremely well, but that's it!), and I was made aware of this in the consultation but I don't need to see two inches in front of my eyes in sharp vision. Its an insignificant trade off to be able to see everything else all the time, unaided. This was one of the best decisions of my life. Of note, I followed the post-op instructions to the letter. Surgery should not be underestimated and the patient has a responsibility to follow the Dr's instructions.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2015

I got Blended Vision Laser Surgery on my eyes about a year ago. I had worn eyeglasses all of my life, and I was tired of having to deal with them with sports and water sports, and not being able to see very well without them. I do a lot of reading in my job. I felt that as a result, my life was getting narrower and narrower as I did not have any peripheral vision. I had enough at 51! When I got the eye surgery done, that afternoon, I was able to read the newspaper without glasses, and the next day I was able to drive without glasses! I woke up and I could see! I felt free! It was life changing. My far vision is 20/13 and my near vision is 20/20. I had great results, and I would recommend him and his friendly knowledgeable staff to everyone!

flag | Submitted June 10, 2015

I had Lasik Eye Surgery 20 years ago with Dr Kadambi, and it was the best decision i've ever made! Absolutely no regrets. He said after age 50 I may need reading glasses, I am now 55 years old and am only now needing reading glasses, although my seeing distance is not bad at all! Very good doctor, very professional, helpful and kind.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

Please please do your research before going to see this Dr. I am in my mid 30's and am a mother to three children.I had Lasik surgery almost a year ago at Eyetech Lasik Clinic. At first things seemed better, and then after a month my vision got so much worse. I tried to explain to Dr. Kadambi that my vision was really bad, but it was almost like he did not believe me, made me feel like I was the problem and not my vision. This went on for months, on occasion I would leave his office in tears.I went to get a second opinion and it turns out that I had a tumor behind my eye. I WAS IN SHOCK... I am now on the road to recovery, and greatly thankful I sought a second opinion. This Dr. insensitive to his patients. When I told him about the diagnosis he said he knew something was wrong..(.to add more insult) SO THEN WHY DID HE NOT HELP ME .??? because he got his money, and because he does not like to be wrong.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2015

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's response
We are sorry to hear you had a tumor behind your eye causing vision issues. When patients come in to determine if they are a candidate for Lasik, we do a routine eye examination similar to what you would have done as part of a check up at your regular eye doctor. Routine eye examination in eye doctors offices or clinics, such as Eyetech Lasik Clinic, may miss a rare condition like a tumour behind the eye. In the medical field it is very common for one doctor to pickup some thing another doctor could not find, especially in rare cases like this one. While we do everything in our power to ensure a successful procedure, sometimes unforseen things like this occur. Other times, patients need to come back to our clinic for a free touch-up to further adjust their vision after the initial procedure.

Submitted August 11, 2015

I had my first laser surgery performed by Dr. Madam I in 2004 after wearing glasses / contacts for fifty-four years. The outcome was great for distance but "cheaters" we're needed for reading. Following cataract surgery done by another surgeon I returned to Dr, Kadambi for further laser treatment. I am now seventy one and have never felt such confidence with my vision as both distance and close up sight now are excellent.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2015

I made a big mistake 5 years ago...my eyes have given me nothing but pain and problems. His staff at that time was incredible! However I have only thing to say...DO YOUR RESEARCH. If I had done research I would never have gone to Dr. Kadambi. He did 2 treatments on each eye to try and correct the mistake he made the first time. Biggest mistake of my life...not to mention $5500.00 !

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's response
Thank you for your comments. We're sorry to hear that we were not correct your vision the first time. While over 95% of patient procedures are successful on the first attempt, a small percentage of patients require a touch up to correct their vision further. Eyetech provides these touch ups, as well as future vision enhancements to our patients at no charge. If you are still having problems with your vision we'd gladly see you back at our clinic to see if we can further correct your vision. In the past 5 years we've invested heavily in new state-of-the-art equipment which is capable of performing other procedures. One investment we've made is in the Presbyond Laser Blended Vision technology. We're one of four clinics in Canada to have this technology to allow us to correct vision of patients who wear bifocals or progressive lenses, allowing them to see far and near without glasses! Please contact us if you would like to book a follow up for us to take a look at your eyes again.

Submitted August 11, 2015

I spent $6800.00 to this guy over a year ago for wave surgery! He " held" my head in a modified half nelson I assume because he won' t install a head stabilizer. I went back twice and complained of several vision issues! I was treated as if I was making the problems up. I went back to my regular eye doctor and am now wearing progressives again. What a wastte of money! I wouldn't recommend this dufus for anything. What a con and Health Canada isn' t stopping this crook! I don' t know if LASIK is bad or just this guy, but beware before you go here! I wish I had just kept my original glasses! Too late to do over.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's response
Eyetech Lasik Clinic is one of four clinics in Canada to offer PRESBYOND LASER BLENDED VISION to patients wearing bifocals. While over 95% of procedures are successful on the first correction, a small percentage of patients need to come back for a free touch-up to adjust their vision further. We welcome all our patients to come back for a complimentary touch up if they are having difficulties seeing after their procedure. If you would like to come back to our clinic we’d gladly see what we can do to minimize the need for glasses.

Submitted August 11, 2015

DO NOT go here. I had my consultation with him and he was very unprofessional. He didn't even wear treatment gloves when doing my checkup. I know for a fact that I have dry eyes yet he continuously tried to convince me I didn't. He doesn't care about his patients, he is just out to get their money. Stay away from this clinic.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2015

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's response
Thank you for your comments. We always accommodate a patients request for extra measures to be taken during an examination or procedure. Performing exams without gloves is perfectly safe, and is quite common in our field. Occasionally a patient will request me to wear gloves, and for their benefit I will put them on. Dry eyes are a common symptom after having Lasik. We do tests for your tear function to rule any tear disorder before proceeding. We provide our clients with drops to help with the symptoms in the immediate post operative period. While drops will help in the short term, we do not recommend patients use medicated drops for an extended period of time as the chemicals in them can reduce your eyes ability to produce natural tears. If you are having on going issues with your vision after the procedure, we’d like to see you again so we can correct your vision further. Some patients require a touch up after their initial procedure. We do these touch ups at no charge.

Submitted August 11, 2015

I recently had the custom wavefront eye surgery done by Dr. Kadambi, with amazing results. I had worse vision than 20/200 and already have 20/10. I have hardly any discomfort. He is a personable doctor who is funny and makes you feel comfortable. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2015

This man is a terrible excuse for a doctor. He should not be doing ANYTHING to anyone with regards to looking after eyes. He used to live in Brandon MB and ended up being banned from surgery there, so he moved to Winnipeg. He is now banned in Wpg from performing cataract surgery and god knows what else, but still does Lasik, so that tells you how unregulated the lasik industry is. Please watch the 16x9 video on Lasik. You can google this or find it on YouTube. Kadambi has wrecked so many people's eyes, but still manages to continue on. He's been sued so many times, it's hard to count the number now, but you won't find these results online because he gets his lawyer to remove them all. It's bad for business, you know. I personally have had my eyes completed demolished from this fraud of a doctor, who gave me steroids for almost 5 LONG YEARS AS A CHILD !!!! I'll be lucky if I can get another 5 years out of my eyesight, after what he did to me. This idiot should be barred completely from anything to do with eyes, period. Do yourselves a favor and find somebody REAL, and not a fraudster like him who does anything for money/greed.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2014

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's response
Sorry for the delay in responding to your feedback. Any doctor treating any patient (child or adult or very elderly) has to prescribe medications for treating a disease. Prescribing steroids and using it for years is needed in some cases. Any medications have side effects but we have to use them as not using them may have more serious problems. If I did not use the steroids in your case you may not have any vision now. There are cases we have to use steroids for long periods in children which have some serious side effects. Some cases of Iritis in stills disease in children may need prolonged steroid use. Unfortunately there was no other alternatives at that time. The College of Physicians and Surgeons has the ability to remove a doctor from practice, but it isn’t on a city by city basis. In Manitoba, a physician loses their license to practice in the province as a whole if the college determines they are unfit to practice. All physicians are required to conform to the guidelines and regulations laid out for the standard of care. Any deviation from these guidelines was not tolerated and criticised by the peers. Some physicians often pushed these boundaries in the interest of the patients. In the early 70s the guideline for Cataract surgery was a vision of 20/200 or less. In the early 80s lens implants after cataract was supposed to be done only on patients over 85 years old. Now some surgeons are removing clear lenses and putting multi focal lens implants (more expensive and more invasive than Presbyond* LASIK) so people don’t have to wear reading glasses or progressive lenses It is true that I originally operated out of Brandon. I am extremely grateful for my Patients, the medical and nursing staff in Brandon for letting me introduce lot of new ophthalmic procedures in Manitoba. I was the first to introduce soft contact lenses in Manitoba years before it was made available to the Optometric community in Manitoba. Brandon was the first to offer lens implants routinely to every patient having cataract surgery. I introduced day surgery for cataracts one year before it was introduced in Winnipeg. Lens implants in children were introduced in Brandon years before it was done in Children’s hospital in Winnipeg. The doctors in Brandon had their parents from UK or other Canadian provinces to come to Brandon for their cataracts operated by me. Some of my previous patients who have moved away frequently contact me before going ahead with treatments advised by their ophthalmologist. I chose to move from Brandon because it is too small of a city to support a refractive surgery centre. That is the reason why I started the first laser vision correction centre in Winnipeg in 1994. I was travelling between Winnipeg and Brandon. The travelling was very cumbersome and i gradually tapered off my practice in Brandon. Like many doctors or clinics The College had some complaints about refractive surgery by me at Eyetech. The College has found no instance of any wrong doing either by me or by Eyetech Lasik Clinic. Since the 1990's we've had 16 small claims courts, in most cases, the judge dismissed the case. It is an unfortunate reality in this profession that a small number of our 40,000+ patients over the last 20 years decided to go this route, but this is the same reality for any Laser centers. There has been no wrong doing or negligence was found in any one of these cases.

Dr. Desikan Kadambi's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Kadambi is a member of the American Academy Of Ophthalmology, the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, and the International Society of Refractive Surgeons. Lasik Surgeon Dr Kadambi has specialist qualifications in Ophthalmology from 3 countries. Before specializing in ophthalmology he worked in Plastic surgery, Orthopedics and trauma surgery and general surgery. He trained in ophthalmology at Birmingham Eye Hospital in England. After obtaining his FRCS from Edinburgh He immigrated to Canada. His extensive training in microsurgery enabled him to introduce new techniques in Manitoba. He was the first in Manitoba to perform Posterior chamber lens implants, multifocal lens implants and foldable soft lens implants in Manitoba. Being a pioneer in lens implant by Rotary Club of India. Along with his friend the late Dr. Norman Stahl of New York he held training workshop at Poona in India. His poster presentation in American lens Implant Society on modifications of Choyce Lens implant triggered a flood of modifications of Anterior chamber lens implants to make them safer. He became interested in refractive surgery in 1983 and He opened the first Laser Vision correction center in Manitoba in January 1994. In 1995 he started to initiate for the approval of LASIK in Manitoba. When it was approved in 1999 he was the first to perform LASIK. Since then he has performed over twenty eight thousand procedures.

• English

• UNIVERSITY OF MYSORE (Grad. 1959)