Ratings for Dr. Richard Van Gend

I miss this man with all my heart. What a horrible loss to our community when he left. He was hands down the best doctor (and I have seen a LOT) I have ever seen.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2017

When here he was always the very best at everything. Took time and explained in plain terms as well as actually cared. nicest dr ever and I have been referred to many drs even Mayo.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2015

Dr Van Gend saved my husbands life. He noticed a shadow on exray and found that he had to have emergency anurism surgery. Without him my husband would not be alive today. He took the time to listen and check carefully to see what the problem was. Thank you

flag | Submitted October 28, 2010

This old man is awesome. Will help you even if you don't have an appointment. Not the greatest golfer tho. He releases his hands way too early. I've told him over and over but he never listens. What can you do. Doesn't really bother me because I enjoy beating him. Loves his rugby and keeps asking silly questions about North American sports. Besides all these short comings he is still an amazing man and one of the smartest doctors I know. Keep it up baldy :-)

flag | Submitted November 7, 2009

A very kind compassionate doctor. I had a cortozone shot in elbow and it hurt him more than me. Doesn't make you feel like your being rushed out of his office. I wish that NEHA could find another competent doctor like him. I agree it's frustrating to make an appointment that takes a month. He is over worked...

flag | Submitted March 30, 2009

Dr. Van Gend has nothing to do with obtaining or exiting doctors. Whoever made the comments prior is cleary not up on the current health care crisis in rural Manitoba. Dr. Van Gend can only work with the perimeters he is given. He doesn't make the rules. His performance as a doctor is outstanding as evidenced by the overwhelming community support. Perhaps if people were to voice thier concerns about the doctor shortage to the government and avoid blaming those who are truly doing their best, then maybe we might intiate change. We are fortunate to have the quality of medical care that Dr. Van Gend provides, especially given the continued obstacles that are thrown at him. As an added bonus, he has a great personality and makes time for his patients even if at his own personal sacrifice.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2008

Dr. Van Gend is an exceptional doctor. He has immersed himself with patient care and has often gone above and beyond. Our community should be very concerned that he is constantly struggling to balance staff shortages and high demand and consequently works unbelievably long hours. He is dedicated, kind, and in spite of his workload will take the extra few minutes to spend the time with his patients. We are very lucky to have him and if we want to keep him, we need to lobby our provincial government to address the doctor shortage before we lose him to burn out. He cannot do this alone. The only reason he is occasionally late is due to the fact that he is so overloaded. In all the time he has been here, he has always maintained a professional, gentle and knowledgable approach to his patients and the community and we need to support his efforts and staff in order to maintain the level of care he provides all of us.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2008

Dr. Van Gend is caredit to his profession- the two negatives replies in his rating were probably due to arrogant, demanding people. Dr. V gives his all and our area is lucky to have him and hope we are able to keep him in spite of the extremely heavy work load he faces on a daily basis. To the negative reviewers - give your heads a shake Buddies and appreciate what we have

flag | Submitted September 27, 2008

terrific doctor and takes time with his patients.He is very knowledgeable with rare diseases and if he does not know answer will do research or send you too correct specialist

flag | Submitted August 26, 2008

Simply, the best Dr. I have ever had! Richard was the only Dr. who took the time to get to the bottom of my symptoms and was instrumental in diagnosing my Multiple Sclerosis. A kind and caring man, dreadfully overworked, but the only M.D. I want to see!

flag | Submitted March 30, 2008