Ratings for Dr. Harold Popma

He was my doctor for many years, and I expected him to "see me out", forgetting that he is just a couple of years younger than I am! I always admired Harold for not prescribing antibiotics when not necessary. That could save my life at some point. He only prescribes when absolutely necessary. That is a good thing.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2009

Dr.Popma has been a wonderful family doctor to me for the past 25 years. I was very sad to hear that he will be retiring this year. Although, not sad to hear his staff will be going with him. the worst part about visiting him was his staff, so I won't miss that. Thank you for everything you have done for me Dr.Popma. You will be greatly missed. Look forward to meeting the new doctor!

flag | Submitted August 7, 2008

Dr. Popma has been my family doctor for the past 25 years. The wait in the waiting room is beyond normal and always has been, but he is a busy man, so you just have to wait. He has also been my parents doctor for years and I do not agree with the fact that he will share personal information (test results, etc) with my parents by phone but will not discuss with me unless I go in. Also, his staff is not very friendly unless you are the actual patient. They were very rude to my husband. He did refer me to Dr. Sharon Northrop for my baby and she is excellent. We are hoping she keeps us on as patients after the baby is born.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2008

A few years ago I was rushed to the Sackville Hospital after my Car accident, when woke up, I noticed Dr. Harold Popma who stood above me mending minor cuts with great haste as his urgency was aimed to examine me for vital Injuries. He called for the Eye Specialist to attend immediately a left Eye injury in doing so saved my Eye. I was very tired and wanted to sleep, and remember being not pleased when I learned I was being transferred to the Moncton Hospital to have me examined for internal Injuries and a Cat Scan, he consoled me that they were better equipped to treat my Injuries. His ability to prioritize appropriate steps to be taken saved my life. He displayed great compassion and insight for circumstances involved that reached beyond my Injuries, I felt safe. I had never said thank you to him, he was the 1st person in a line of many that followed, their compassion gave me firm believe in humanity. I am grateful to Dr. Popma always.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2008

I met Dr. Popma in the fall of 2003 when my father was a gravely ill patient in Sackville Hospital. Dr. Popma came in at least twice daily, checked on Dad and then spoke to the family members. Dr. Popma and the staff at the hospital made my pain bearable knowing Dad was getting the best of care. I Thank them all for their help and understanding. Sackville has had some horrific doctors (I know) but I don't think Dr. Popma is in that group. BE GRATEFUL SACKVILLE!!

flag | Submitted March 23, 2007

Dr. Popma has been our doctor for decades and we consider him an excellent doctor. He respects patients by not overbooking,& by listening & discussing rather than prescribing a drug and rushing you out the door. He takes the scientific & ethical aspects of medicine very seriously. This must be very hard at times when too many patients want a "quick fix" based on drug company advertising.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2007

My Dr. for over 20 years. Delivered two of my children. Wonderful Doctor.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2007

Treated me in the ER in '01 and was absolutely wonderful. Careful, caring, and overall provided excellent care.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2007

On at least three (3) occasions I had the unfortunate bad luck to have Dr Popma #1 the birth of my child he would not listen to the expecting mother which resulted in the child heart to stopped and because of lack of oxigen causing brain damage to the child . #2- I had a bad sprained ankle and he looked at it and said " yeah it's sprained " now you can go home. #3- my right lung collaspe and I went into emergency complaining of chest pain . Dr.Popma was on call that night and after checking my blood pressure , he sent me home .... I insisted , but Dr.Popma kept telling me that " he was the Dr. and to go home " and stayed there from 2 am until 9 am when my own Dr. came in . my Dr sent me for x-rays and then to Amherst Hosp for emergency surgery because my right lung had collapsed .

flag | Submitted February 20, 2007

The one good thing is that he is not quick to write out a precription. But he prefers elderly people and he doesn't treat his younger patients with the same care and respect that you see with his older patients. I have had him as a doctor for 20 years and now that I am older and understand what doctors are suppose to do more, I really think it is time for him to retire. He doesn't give his patients the time and care that he use to. Sorry doc, but time to get some young blood in there

flag | Submitted February 9, 2007