Ratings for Dr. Brian Furlong

We had the misfortune of dealing with Brian Furlong once while our son was admitted to EMU at the Guelph General Hospital. We work in Toronto and were told we could talk to him so we raced back to Guelph only to be told he would not talk to us, nor did he talk to our son! He was in the glass office outside the room and when we asked to see him as we had been waiting days to talk to someone, he just smirked and turned his back. The height of arrogance and uncaring individual for people who are experiencing mental anguish. Finally the following day, a young caring, compassionate intern took the time to talk and ...LISTEN

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

I would advise that nothing be disclosed to this man, as it will likely be manipulated into a dx that will lead to institutionalization and forcible medication.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

Dr Furlong cares.He took the time and interest to call me eight months after his assessment of my fitness.Dr.Furlong put my mind at ease,and was genuinely pleased with my continuing treatment. Thankyou Dr.Furlong.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2014

Kept me waiting 2.5 hours then berated me severely for mentioning it. Arrogant , rude and discompassionate. This was in Nwmarket, he has since moved on elsewhere.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2012

I found the man to be very abusive and insulting. he use the prevailing and constantly shifting theories of psychiatry to justify his whimsical and largely malevolent actions. Dr. furlong oncetold me that he did not want to give me ibuprohen for a finger broken by the nursing staff so I would not get in the habit of using pills to relieve suffering. Coming from a psychiatrist this is rather rich.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2011

flag | Submitted May 27, 2011

Rude, agressive and confrontational. Not good attributes for a psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2009

Dr. Furlong was not helpful because he shows no compassion whatsoever. He had an arrogant attitude and this made me ask for another doctor. He was extremely condescending when he spoke to me. He was not helpful to me at all because of his harsh bedside manner.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2009

I saw Dr. Furlong when he was on call in ER some years ago. He was awesome! Compassionate and does a lot of thinking and reflection before he moves forward with diagnosis and treatment. Told me everything in lay terms.One of the most intelligent people I ever met. The fact that he happened to be on call in ER that day, instead of a pill pusher, has drastically enhanced the course that my life has taken - in terms of becoming a professional myself, living to my full potential, and being a positive person. He is a very confident, yet humble, man. I have always regarded myself as deeply indebted to him for his empathy, compassion, and stellar treatment.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2008

found furlong to be less than helpful and less than knowledgable. did not care to hear what was going on with me or any input from me before drastically changing and taking away meds. saw him in homewood hospital. he refused to believe i was sick physically when told over and over and it got to the point where i was hospitalized for physical problems caused by his medication choices and his failure to do bloodwork to check on medication levels. Was very dismissive of anything i had to say about my own condition. I truly think he believes people with mental illness should not be allowed any input into their care.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2008