Ratings for Dr. Susan Elizabeth Skanes

Had a wrist reconstructive surgery in the spring of 2011 and had an unfortunate bad experience with Dr.Skanes. She consistently asked me to remove my bandages which were covering a three inch open wound held semi closed by three staples. Her insistence was so strong that when I refused to do so as I was trying to prevent infection she rudely grabbed them off of me. During all three pre-surgery visits she refused to acknowledge my neurological disorder which I had mentioned that reduces sensation and pain. She ran me through typical procedures with no consideration towards my individual needs and misdiagnosed the damage as a result. Her diagnosis came up as one severed tendon with possible damage to the other two. Our last clinical meeting she told me that she would schedule surgery and call back within 24 hours. After two days I called the clinic and was told she had gone on vacation! Finally after three weeks since the damage was done I managed to secure a surgery date and she preformed it. The actual damage was all three tendons to my thumb were severed as well as a nerve. Due to the length of time I had to wait she had to make an additional incicion to locate and retrieve one tendon that had slid up my arm a full five inches. She then prescribed a medication which she lied about it's effects and I spent $80 on pills that did not reduce inflammation as she said but were strictly pain medication which due to my neurological disorder I did not need. Overall a rude, dismissive, and not very knowledgeable considering she uses strictly diagnostic procedures and refuses to take individual conditions into account.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

Submitted May 18, 2016

I've had two surgeries with Dr Skanes (repaired stretched ear lobe and a rhinoplasty/septoplasty Both surgeries went off without any complications. Very happy with the results for both. Dr Skanes is a magnificent surgeon with great bedside manor and an awesome staff.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2016

Amazing skill. Had facial surgery and it was painless and healed so quickly no one could believe it. She is a kind caring professional in every aspect.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

I am in the process of lodging a formal complaint against Dr. Skanes with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick for failing to forward a patient's file to another province in a timely manner.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2015

She did a surgery on my toddler. She was very pleasant and explained everything well when I asked many questions. She even carried my son back to the waiting room after we were done because I had my hands full with my baby.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2015

She has no manners what so ever ! Her bitterness is striking ! Will not even give her my nails to cut ! What a shame to see such specimens !!

flag | Submitted April 30, 2015

I am 10 weeks post op for a breast reduction and lift. I had 4 pounds removed. Dr Skanes did an amazing job, they are perfect. She is friendly, warm and very precise. You can tell she takes pride in her work.The absolute joy of being able to go braless is priceless.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2014

Dr Skanes, made me feel very comfortable and she took care of me for four years. I could have never been able to get through breast cancer without her help, to put me back together after my surgery. She is very knowledgable and a very good beside manner. I am so fortunate to have a doctor that was so understanding and patient with me. I certainly have and will continue to recommend Dr. Skanes to all who ask me for a good reconstructive Surgeon. Thank YOU Dr. Skanes!!!!

flag | Submitted February 12, 2014

She is very caring and took the time to explain the surgery and even after what i needed to do to get the best results and if i did not do what was needed what would happen. So she did not leave me with no surprises.Very knowledgeable and understanding. She puts you at ease very quickly.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2014