You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Mark Matishak

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

Just a wonderful and professional doctor Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

I had severe spinal stenosis, and was no longer able to drive, due to loss of feeling in my feet, was using a walker and was in considerable pain. I had been seen by a neurosurgeon, an orthopedic surgeon, a neurologist, and my own doctor, who all felt surgery would be too risky. All this came to a head in July 2015 when I was no longer able to stand or sit, or look after myself. I went by ambulance to Surrey`Memorial Hospital, and was eventually transferred to Royal Columbian Hospital to be seen by a neurosurgeon. Dr. Matishak happened to be on call when I wasw transferred, and he suggested an L1 to L5 laminectomy, which he later performed. I had heard someone mention that Dr. Matishak was an optomist, I am so grateful he took the risk of operating, as otherwise think it was very likely I would have spent the rest of my life laying in bed. I am now walking better than I have done in years, with almost no pain, and I am now able to live my life again. Thank you Dr. Matishak. I will be forever grateful!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

I cannot even rate knowledge. Approx 3 yrs ago admitted to emergency following head trauma from an MVA. Assessed in ER, a small brain bleed. Waiting for Neurosurgeon and waiting and waiting and waiting while I was moved about six times in the emergency dept. ER doctor decided not to send me home which was a good decision. It was almost 24 hours after my bleed he finally showed up... so I guess time must not save brain. I had deficits. Lost all my executive functioning skills so basically not safe to be left alone. Had my one year follow up at his office he ordered a CT, was never called with the appointment by his staff. They said it would be months. It has taken three years for me to get my life and independence back.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016

Having been diagnosed with severe stenosis, I was a candidate for a lumbar laminectomy. I'm very fortunate to have been referred to Dr. M. Matishak who performed my surgery in March 2015. He saved me from potentially becoming paralyzed. Furthermore, his entire medical team (including his secretary) have been extremely friendly and caring. His patience in answering all my questions and worries truly made me feel at ease. He is incredibly knowledgeable, professional and gifted in his domain. I appreciated the time he took going into details explaining to me how he was going to proceed with the surgery, as well as what to expect throughout the process. Overall, I would strongly recommend Dr. M. Matishak to anyone in need of a neurosurgeon. I was definitely in good hands, and if I were to go through this procedure again, I would not want anyone else to perform my surgery. -Jacinthe D.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2015

worst doctors have ever met. horrible communication skills for someone who should be able to interact with a patients family. would literally sit around for 12 hours or more waiting for him to not show up or sneak out through a different area. AVOID HIM! I've honestly never hated someone to this extent until I met him.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2015

Dr Matishak did not even give me the courtesy of seeing me in person. He had his receptionist call me to tell me he could not help me ,with out even seeing me! I had to wait five months to see another neurosurgeon who said he could help me after examining me. It would of been nice to at least have talked to the doctor in person. I suffered for an extra five months of my life before being able to get treatment.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2015

I was a 50 year old female whose job was physically demanding when I ruptured a disk in my neck which caused excruciating pain so that the only comfortable position for me was on my back in bed. I requested a referral to Dr. Matishak and was told I could not get in for at lease 12 months. Because I was popping narcotics like candy I sought help outside of Canada in Germany where within 5 weeks I received 2 artificial disks by Dr. Bertagnoli who taught Dr. Matishak. The day after surgery I was pain free and back to work in 3 weeks. It is now 16 months later and I feel great. It appears however that our medical system and Revenue Canada would rather have a person permanently disabled and on narcotics rather than healthy and back to work. Shame Canada and our medical profession for supporting this behaviour.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2015

Well here is my story; I had collapsed vertebrae with impingement and was referred to Dr. Matishak ,he told me I was a perfect candidate for the new prodiscL . So I was put on a waiting list for almost a year, in which case now my nerves are permanently damaged from being inpinged for too long. Dr.matishak told my options were rods and screws or the prodiscL or just deal with it!!! He also told me that I wouldn't have any pain or numbness after surgery and I would be able to walk. I was able to walk with some pain for about two months post surgery and then the pain came back with a fury! I phoned the doctor to tell him that it didn't work and I'm I more pain than I was and he said I have to come and see him,so I did and all he could do is give me pills and tell me to wait a little longer. I called back after a few month of waiting in total pain

flag | Submitted May 18, 2015

Dr. Matishak immediately instilled great confidence in myself, my daughter and my mother. We all knew that I was in extremely capable hands. All the doctors I have subsequently talked to, both socially and professionally, have said I was very lucky to get Dr. Matishak when I arrived at Royal Columbian by ambulance. He never hurries me because he's too busy. He is in fact the easiest man I have ever met to talk to. He always answers all my questions clearly so that I can understand what's going on. Thank you Dr. Matishak. You saved my life.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2015

Dr. Mark Matishak's Credentials

MSP/BC Med

Updates

• A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Matishak listens to his patients! He saved me from ending up in wheelchair. He did surgery on my spinal cord twice. He is my hero! Great person. "

April 21, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Just a wonderful and professional doctor Highly recommended. "

April 18, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I had severe spinal stenosis, and was no longer able to drive, due to loss of feeling in my feet, was using a walker and was in considerable pain. I had been s..."

February 17, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I cannot even rate knowledge. Approx 3 yrs ago admitted to emergency following head trauma from an MVA. Assessed in ER, a small brain bleed. Waiting for Neur..."

January 22, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Having been diagnosed with severe stenosis, I was a candidate for a lumbar laminectomy. I'm very fortunate to have been referred to Dr. M. Matishak who performe..."

November 30, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "worst doctors have ever met. horrible communication skills for someone who should be able to interact with a patients family. would literally sit around for 12 ..."

October 16, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Dr Matishak did not even give me the courtesy of seeing me in person. He had his receptionist call me to tell me he could not help me ,with out even seeing me!..."

October 8, 2015
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "I was a 50 year old female whose job was physically demanding when I ruptured a disk in my neck which caused excruciating pain so that the only comfortable posi..."

August 15, 2015
  • Postal Code has been updated from "V3L0" to "V3L 0E4". Address has been updated from "None" to "223 Nelson's Court". Phone Number has been updated from "None" to "16045266400".

June 3, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Well here is my story; I had collapsed vertebrae with impingement and was referred to Dr. Matishak ,he told me I was a perfect candidate for the new prodiscL..."

May 18, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Matishak immediately instilled great confidence in myself, my daughter and my mother. We all knew that I was in extremely capable hands. All the doctors I..."

February 16, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Amazing man I feel so fortunate he will be operating on me in 9 months and 14 days. It will be life changing for me and my family. I am anticipating my return ..."

January 15, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Personable, professional and thorough creating a great sense of confidence in a complex decision process"

October 17, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Outstanding experience from beginning to end. Fully informed us of the process all steps of the way. Delivered a seamless surgery (discectomy) transforming spas..."

October 3, 2014
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I am so pleased to have him as my Doctor he is wonderful. His staff is also the best you will come across. We are so lucky to have a Doctor as his caliber in BC..."

October 1, 2014