Ratings for Dr. Mark Matishak

Like many of the other reviewers, Dr. Matishak gave me a new lease on life. I have degenerative disc disease and severe spinal stenosis. I had herniated L4-L5 a year ago, but it was treated conservatively and didn't require surgery and I had recovered. 2 months ago I fell and aggravated my herniation to the point that I could no longer sit, walk or stand and was in excruciating pain due to the herniation compressing the sciatic nerve. Long story short, I was taken via ambulance to RCH and Dr. Matishak agreed to take me as a patient. After 6 days of being bed ridden, disectomy was done. There were some complications afterwards, but hehe bottom line is that I can walk again, without pain and in the road to recovery. Surprisingly, and unlike other surgeons I have met, he seems very humble. He is personable and friendly and seems to genuinely care about his patients. He took the time to answer my questions and the follow up visit to his office to get the sutures removed was also very good as well. I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Matishak and thank him for giving my life back.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

Disconnected to people, namely his patients. Has had lawsuits that he lost. Could not look me in the eye after I waited hours while he had lunch. Told me nothing at all. Wondered why I did not go back to see him.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2016

This man is God to me. For 2 yrs I walked dragging my right leg. With one operation, I walk normally and can run.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2016

Amazing man and surgeon. Miracle worker! He is very compassionate and made us feel safe and supported in the process. Highly recommend. Sincerely, Katharine

flag | Submitted June 2, 2016

Was able to work my brain pummelled around by a train so yah no doubt he saved my life and then some. Pretty fukin amazin guy lucky he was on call that nite wish him the best

flag | Submitted May 17, 2016

Dr. Mark Matishak is amazing and very professional! He is asked the questions that needed to be answered. He also gives you the time to respond and formulate other questions. He is very honest with his answers which in my case was exactly what I needed. I would recommend him to anyone and I am very grateful to have the opportunity to see him to deal with my tumor on the outside of my brain.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

Dr. Matishak listens to his patients! He saved me from ending up in wheelchair. He did surgery on my spinal cord twice. He is my hero! Great person.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

Just a wonderful and professional doctor Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

I had severe spinal stenosis, and was no longer able to drive, due to loss of feeling in my feet, was using a walker and was in considerable pain. I had been seen by a neurosurgeon, an orthopedic surgeon, a neurologist, and my own doctor, who all felt surgery would be too risky. All this came to a head in July 2015 when I was no longer able to stand or sit, or look after myself. I went by ambulance to Surrey`Memorial Hospital, and was eventually transferred to Royal Columbian Hospital to be seen by a neurosurgeon. Dr. Matishak happened to be on call when I wasw transferred, and he suggested an L1 to L5 laminectomy, which he later performed. I had heard someone mention that Dr. Matishak was an optomist, I am so grateful he took the risk of operating, as otherwise think it was very likely I would have spent the rest of my life laying in bed. I am now walking better than I have done in years, with almost no pain, and I am now able to live my life again. Thank you Dr. Matishak. I will be forever grateful!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

I cannot even rate knowledge. Approx 3 yrs ago admitted to emergency following head trauma from an MVA. Assessed in ER, a small brain bleed. Waiting for Neurosurgeon and waiting and waiting and waiting while I was moved about six times in the emergency dept. ER doctor decided not to send me home which was a good decision. It was almost 24 hours after my bleed he finally showed up... so I guess time must not save brain. I had deficits. Lost all my executive functioning skills so basically not safe to be left alone. Had my one year follow up at his office he ordered a CT, was never called with the appointment by his staff. They said it would be months. It has taken three years for me to get my life and independence back.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016