Ratings for Dr. Mark L. Allen

I find these low reviews very surprising. Dr. Allen has been my urologist the past 4 years, treated my prostate cancer (prostatectomy) successfully (and painlessly!), always answered questions and concerns, his billing is very fair, his nurse and staff very friendly and helpful, and the referrals I've made to him have all been very pleased. He has demonstrated a very high level of updated knowledge and competency. I am in great hands under his care.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2017

He never explained before and after image of Urolift procedure. Nothing helped on his urolift procedure which was just trained/practiced patient body. Saying only right procedure done. That was ended up malpractice as protruded into my bladder per 2nd opinion doctor. Very rude nurse and doctor, with little care about post-op treatment. I would never recommend them to family.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

Dr. Allen spoke very rudely to me. He was arrogant and condescending. Told me I needed to have a procedure. It was something that I wasn't familiar with. I asked about it. He told me the name of it again and handed me a brochure. Definitely no bedside manner WHATSOEVER! I literally ended up crying the entire appointment because of the way he was talking to me. I even asked him to try to be kind to me. Patients deserve to be treated with care and compassion. This doctor did not at all seem concerned about my feelings, nor did he want to hear anything about my medical history. When I called to complain and try to see another doctor in the practice for the procedure I needed, the office manager (Brenda) was just as rude as he was. Their policy is that you can not see another doctor in the practice, although she was quick to let me know that they all take each other's calls - isn't this a contradiction? She defended him without even listening to what he had said to me or how he had treated me. She was pretty much yelling at me on the phone. Deplorable treatment at this office! Run - you'll be dealing with your illness/pain and then the heartache from the poor treatment. I think they've forgotten many parts of the Hippocratic oath: * I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug. * I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick. * May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2016

I had several questions that I wanted answered before having a particular procedure done. Dr. Allen arrogantly dismissed my questions, saying "I've been doing this for X years, I know what I'm doing, trust me". He came off as arrogant, aloof, & seemed like he wanted to rush me out of the office so that he could move on to his next patient. Even his front office staff was curt and unwelcoming.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2016

The most rude Doctor and nurse I have ever encountered.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

Very rude and inappropriate doctor. He treated me in a very disrespectful way.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2016

It's interesting that another reviewer stated that they treat you like cattle because that's exactly what I told my wife after my appointment! I don't feel like writing a long detailed review but this is not the place for me and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. The doctor acts like he's bored by the whole scene and couldn't care less about his patients. On top of that I was there for 1 hour and spent a total of about 6 minutes with the doctor. Crazy.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2014

I requested a fax of test results 5 times before I received. They treat you like cattle. Complain they are too busy. Do not return calls in a timely manner. They really could care less about you as a patient. Dr. Allen's nurse was the only busy one there!!!!

flag | Submitted September 3, 2014

Dr. Allen's bill was $5,000 for prostate removal and insurance agreed payment was $2,100 I only paid my remaining co-insurance.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2013

flag | Submitted April 11, 2013

Dr. Mark L. Allen's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical School At San Antonio (Grad. 1987)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal