Ratings for Dr. M. Woolfrey

I was referred to Dr Woolfrey over three years ago by my family doctor as I was having major knee pain. Dr Woolfrey took his time and got x-ray and MRI done. He did determine that my right knee was worst then my left. He tried cortisone injections but I would only get very limited pain relief. He decided to do a scope on the right knee to see if there was any cartilage left. At that point he did confirm that there was no cartilage left at all. Unfortunately because of being in a lot of pain in both of my knees I could hardly walk, even less exercise so I had gained a lot of weight. Dr Woolfrey recommended that I lose 100lbs before doing my knee replacement as my previous weight wouldn't have made for a successful knee replacement surgery given my age and that I need the plastic knee to last a long time. My family physician agreed and I had Bariatric surgery done at Guelph General Hospital which allowed me to lose 180lbs. Dr Woolfrey was very happy that I followed his recommendation therefore he proceeded with my first knee replacement which has been a major success. As soon as I am fully recovered he will then proceed to replace my second knee. He is excellent in my opinion. He is very knowledgeable and has excellent bedside manor and great communication skills. Having said this he's not a pain specialist so if you have a lot of pain while being followed by Dr Woolfrey and if you end up waiting a long time for surgery ask your family doctor to be referred to a pain specialist so that you have the ability to see someone who understands pain and can treat it accordingly without getting you addicted to pain meds.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

It took a long time to get my initial appointment for a badly deteriorated hip, but when Dr Woolfrey examined my Xrays he put me on the stand by list for immediate surgery. Luckily there was a cancellation and within 3 weeks I had full hip replacement surgery. Both the surgery and recovery went very smoothly. After 4 weeks of recovery I was back to work and even playing golf and hiking with my family. So within 2 months of meeting Dr. Woolfrey I went from being able to only walk briefly with a cane and in considerable pain back to a normal pain free gait. Goodbye prescription pain medication hello life. He gave me back my mobility and independence. I would recommend Dr. Woolfrey to anyone with real hip problems. He is worth the wait.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

He is the best Orthopedic doctor I have ever seen. He is a very busy doctor - we have to wait to see him at appointments but he is worth the wait. I have had both knees and a revision of my right hip and I trust him with life.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Don't know what I would do without Dr Woolfrey,,,he is the best...never makes us feel rushed..answers any questions we have...great person all around.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2017

Great doctor who knows his stuff. Had knee surgery over a year ago. Never felt better. Back playing hockey.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2016

ONLY THE VERT BEST FOR KNEES AND HIPS. A LONG WAIT OF COURSE BUT WELL WORTH IT.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

Thanks for nothing and refusing to see me as a patient after being referred to you. Im glad the reason state's your picky about the cases you see

flag | Submitted August 29, 2016

Did both my hips. 10 years later they are still working beautifully. Wonderful work !

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

As a healthcare professional myself, I can't say anything bad about my experiences with this excellent surgeon! He was able to help me immensely between surgery and injections. He also is very knowledgeable and takes the time to explain things to you. The only reason I can't give him 5 stars is simply the fact that they overbook in the fracture clinic, so therefore end up backed up. Part of the wait time is also probably related to the fact that he takes his time explaining all your options. As for this garbage about him pushing pain medicine, I did not experience that at all. I found he gave enough pain medicine to get me through the immediate post op period, but nothing excessive. If people only took the narcotics for moderate-severe pain instead of for every little ache and pain, they would probably be better off. I agree with a previous reviewer.. take Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for mild-moderate pain instead of the narcotics. Make sure to follow the post op directions and get into physio and you will find that things will go much smoother! Kudos to Dr. Woolfrey.. thanks for the excellent care!!

flag | Submitted April 25, 2016

Very smart and overall helpful. seen him only 3 times for my knee pain and I still have pain, the injections are not working. I will stick with him because people say he is the best, but I hate waiting so long in clinic. His staff is good.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2016