Ratings for Dr. Shira L. Young

I took my Mom to see Dr. Young on a number of occasions during the last years of my Mom's life. Based on our earlier interactions, I can understand why some of the reviewers were put off by her manner. But somewhere along the way she changed or my Mom and I got used to her and we both started to like her quite a lot. We found her helpful, caring and competent. I was so impressed with the care my Mom received, that I started to see Dr. Young on occasion for my own dermatological issues. She removed two facial skin growths for me with essentially no scarring. Yes, the assistant, not the doctor explained the procedure. But overall i was much more impressed with the care and the caring, especially as compared to the 'big city' doctor whom i used to see and who left me with a significant scar after removing a similar growth. If you are someone who is put off by "New York style" abruptness, then Dr. Young may not be the doctor for you. But if you can overlook this and focus on the essence of the care, and see how much she really wants to help, I think you'll be very satisfied.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

I think she is too overwhelmed now ... Too old for the job time to retire Dr. Young you have a lot of complaints... Hope your good reviews outnumber your bad reviews her office was very cruel... And somebody needs to put this clinic in its place ... Very uncalled for remarks and game playing from the staff ... If they treated a female family member the same as she treated me i would get revenge on every staff member in the building not just the Doctor!

flag | Submitted September 27, 2015

Dr. Shira Young has such a bad reputation at Riverside Medical Clinic, the referral doctors will actually brief you about her strange behavior. Unfortunately, she has been permitted to continue practicing at RMC for many years. I am convinced she has a personality disorder. Your best bet is to avoid her. Although I go to RMC for my medical needs, I have decided to go outside the network for dermatology because of the seriously limited options available.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2014

Absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with any doctor. I called around to the various Riverside Medical Clinic dermatologists to see if I could get seen quickly, because I had a skin tag on my neck that was causing so much pain that I was unable to sleep. Dr. Delaney had a two month wait, but was highly recommended, the other doctor had a one month wait, and then there was Dr. Young who had only a one week wait. "Well," I thought, "it's urgent. I need this taken care of. How bad can she be?" From the start, I was told to make sure that I was there by 3:10 (my appointment time) without fail, or I would be billed for a missed appointment and have to reschedule. I took this seriously and as a result walked in the door at 3:00PM. I was fairly quickly checked in by the friendly staff - although they were a bit confused as to who was able to actually do what. That was about the best part of the experience. At about 3:30, I asked how far behind Dr. Young was, and when I might expect to be seen. I was told that I was next. At 3:45, I was finally called back into a room, seen by a nurse (briefly) and told to strip and put on a gown so that the doctor could examine my whole body. Makes sense. At 4:10 (an hour after my appointment time) Dr. Young finally walked in. She immediately scolded me for sitting in the chair that the nurse had told me to sit in, and told me to move to the bed. When I didn't move quickly enough, she rudely said "Well? Sit on the bed!" Dr. Young's manner, and behavior was overall extraordinarily rude and curt. Generally seeming as if she was annoyed to have to deal with a patient, and annoyed that she might have to explain anything to a patient. She did not make much eye contact, and barely touched me throughout. She opened the exam by asking "What do you want? Why are you here?" I explained that I had a problematic skin tag that was preventing me from sleeping, and then said that the nurse mentioned that she would likely want to check other moles on my body too. She said "Well sit straight on the bed so that I can look." Then began circling me with a light. I pointed out a few of the moles that I have that were unusually shaped, and she snapped "Well have they changed?" I said that I wasn't sure. She rolled her eyes, and said "Well, why don't you know if they've changed? MOST patients know if their moles change. You need to start keeping a mental map of this. This one is an odd shape but I have no idea if there's something wrong with it. If you think it should be excised just make another appointment and we'll do it then." This was a little surprising to me, since I thought that it was a dermatologist's job to know if a mole should be excised, or was at risk of being a melanoma...? She did acknowledge that the skin tag looked irritated, and then said "Well we only do surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays so you'll have to come back." I told her that I was unable to sleep and asked if there was anything that could possibly be done today. She sighed, and said "Fine. I'll get somebody to prep the room." She stepped outside, and I heard somebody ask her politely "Hi Dr. Young, how's it going?", then heard her shout at the person "DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW HOW IT'S GOING WHEN I HAVE ONE NURSE, AND TWO ROOMS THAT I NEED THINGS DONE IN???" and storm off. After a couple of minutes she reappeared in the doorway in a green gown and said "Hasn't anybody set up the room yet???" and left again. A few minutes later again, she reappeared again, and said "Well I supposed we're just going to have to get started. Lay down." She had me lay on my side, then took out a syringe. "I'm going to give you a local anesthetic. There will be a small poke." Then she administered the anesthetic WITHOUT ANY TOPICAL ANESTHETIC FIRST. It was quite the stinger. She quickly cut off the skin tag, then seared the skin to cauterize it. I asked about after care, and I was told "the nurse will tell you what to do." She handed me a small jar into which she had squeezed some Bactarin, and left. As I was getting dressed, the nurse explained the after care needed, in a very rapid fire manner, and then quickly hustled out of the door. Overall I was left with the impression that Dr. Young is incapable of caring for her patients. Rather, she is simply interested in getting through them as if they are just something she had to deal with in her day. I get it, Dr. Young, really I do - but if you feel about your patients the same way that somebody working at McDonalds feels with dealing with the people who come through the drive through, maybe medicine isn't for you.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2014

She was rude, dismissive, and removed a dark mole from shoulder after giving an anesthetic shot without first using topical anesthetic.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2014

I left a message one month previous to my appointment in hopes of obtaining an earlier cancellation. I never recieved a return phone call. The Doctor gave no diagnosis and/or literature to inquire. When asked for their opinion I was told to seek a second opinion. They showed no interest except to exit the room a.s.a.p. I left in disbelief! REALLY...I just paid for that???

flag | Submitted February 24, 2012

Dr. Shira L. Young's Credentials

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1979)