Ratings for Dr. Stephen Somerton

I would never in a million years recommend this doctor to anyone, not even my worst enemy. He diagnosed me as having Ulcerative Colitis in October 2013. After being on several drugs that did nothing, he recommended I try REMICADE INFUSIONS. I started this in March 2014. I had 5 infusions until he stopped them after he did blood work in December 2014, which he should have done after each infusion BUT DIDN'T. He said that the REMICADE was not working as he had hoped, instead it was producing anti-bodies that caused blood clots in small capillaries of feet and hands. He should have prescribed an anti-coagulate BUT DIDN'T. I did not see him after this meeting. My feet were so swollen and sore that I could barely walk. I was like this from early February 2015 to July 2015 when I had both legs, below knees, amputated as well as six fingers. He never mentioned side effects of REMICADE. After doing much research online, I found many complaints about this drug. This drug causes many different If you went to him and wants to start on REMICADE.....DON'T DO IT.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

Dr Somerton was so thorough with my daughter and her symptoms. So happy with the care we got and pleased to say that with his help my daughter is doing very well.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2018

Have had him for about 15 years and he has been wonderful both on a personal and professional level. He really cares for his patients and sees them as people. I would trust him with my life and it will be a very sad day when he retires.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

Dr Somerton has been my doctor many times. He is a wonderful doctor. He has helped me with IBS and gave me advise about my handicapped son. It will be a sad day when get retires.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

HORRIBLE reception, doctor and waste of time. Dr Somerton will come off extremely caring /full of knowledge but if you dont accept his 'big pharma plan' then he wont bother to talk to you anymore. I refuse to be on 3 different meds and steroids for the rest of my life AND STILL BE IN PAIN. Im 22, diagnosed Interstitial Cystitis and Crohn's, have been in chronic intolerable pain every single day for over 2 years and I have yet to find a doctor to treat me like a person not just a patient.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2016

Took 3 years to get into see him, only had one appointment. I was told the next flare up I had, to give him a call, so I did, only to find out I'm no longer his patient. All of this took place within the same year.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2016

love this guy,,,, i will not go in to all the details but Dr Somerton is one of if not the best doctor ive ever had... he makes you feel so at ease with everything...he bacicly saved my life,,,and for this i trust him with my life...

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

I made a comment about this doctor back on Nov. 27, 2014. It is now approaching June of 2015. In that time, my opinion of this doctor has gotten worse based on events that transpired following my comment date. I had to apply for CPP disability and was required to pay for medicals records from my G.P. Unbeknown to me at the time, my G.P. requested records from Somerton. It sure was an eye-opening seeing his notes to my G.P. Most everything written down was a pack of half-truths, and wild assumptions on his part. The gist of it clearly implying that most of my problems were in my mind. He barely talked to me for a combined amount of time that would equal 20 minutes, and he apparently thinks he has me all figured out. He also told me I'd have to be on stomach meds for the rest of my life, as my stomach was producing "too much acid". It didn't take me long to discover the healing powers of organic apple cider vinegar, and ditch his expense and useless medications. I kick myself for not finding this solution sooner, as the drugs were not working very well and costing me a ridiculous amount of money (hard to deal with when you can't work and have no benefits). A bottle of ACV cost $6 and last for about 2 months. I am never going back to see him again. His demeanour fools you into thinking he cares but what he wrote on paper says quite the opposite. He didn't like being challenged about medical or drug treatments, and he quickly sensed I knew my sh*t and couldn't be bamboozled into his drug regime. He had little sympathy for my serious predicament which lead me to severe depression. Doctors have to get this straight: it's not the depression that caused the disease, it's the other way around you turkeys. You try living with severe G.E.R.D. and a host of other medical problems while living the cleanest life possible and not reaping any rewards from it! You'd be depressed too, morons. You all seem to spew the same mantra, and you don't understand what you're talking about. His notes to CPP is going to hurt my case, but regardless of that, I'm glad I got to see what this doctor was really thinking and didn't have the balls to say to my face. If you want to waste your time with him, or had a better experience than I did, fine. But, after seeing so many doctors for so many things, I'm more convinced everyday that supplements and nutrition can do far better for people like myself than waiting for things to go downhill and then have to end up living a life of sheer misery following this doctor's advice and drug regimen. All I know is that I'm done with him. (I suspect if he got paid for results rather than by the visit or procedure, he'd be starving.)

flag | Submitted May 30, 2015

Dr. Somerton will come across as being a caring individual, but don't let that fool you. Once he does any procedure on you, that will likely be the last that you hear from him. If diagnosing a patient becomes difficult in figuring out, he will either guess or he will not follow up, nor will he take calls. If your looking for a Doctor who will put your Health Care at risk, then this just may be the doctor for you. Unfortunately people like him end up leaving a trail of destruction in their wake at the expense of others.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2015

As a chronic sufferer from stomach issues I was referred by my GP to Dr. Somerton. Upon initially meeting Dr. Somerton for a consulation it was determined based on my symptoms that I required a gastroscopy as well as a colonoscopy to investigate my issues further. My appoointment was set to take place only a couple of weeks later at the Brantford General Hospital. I arrived to the hospital early as I was asked to do so. A nurse set me up with the pick/stint required for my IV. I then sat in the waiting room for 2.5 hours before being taken in for my procedure. No nurse was present at the time when Dr. Somerton prepped me for the procedure. As far as I am aware he did not prime my pick in my hand and the next thing I knew I was out. This was on December 21st. Upon leaving the hospital my hand was excruciatingly sore and was swollen. In the next 6 hours a large lump began to develop on my hand. 24 hours following the procedure I had a lump the size of a golf ball on my right hand where the pick was and my body was covered in blisters that were extremely painful (even when not being touched). I went to a local emergency department to be checked out. The blisters were swabbed at this time and I was prescribed an antibiotic for what they believed to be an infection. The attending physician advised me that the lump on my hand was from the pick not being lubricated and the swelling should go down. The lump was on my hand for 8 months!! I received a phone call on December 24th from a different local doctor at the emergency department at which I attended as the culture from the swab had come back as an emergency contact to patient. I was asked to attend at the hospital which the doctor was from to discuss the swab. I was advised at this time that I had contracted MRSA from the hospital when having my procedure done. I was then advised of how serious MRSA was and that the medication that I was prescribed merely 2 days prior would not work for the infections disease that I now have. Life was complete H3LL. On top of my existing issues now I had to deal with MRSA as well. I had to take some time off of work to attempt to get the multitude of issues under control. In January when I attended at my follow up appointment with Dr. Somerton and he asked my how things were going, I was brutally honest and told him the h3ll I had gone through and that I hadn't been working, contracted MRSA and had a lump the size of a golf ball in my hand. He kind of just shrugged these things off as a non-issue. Dr. Somerton at this time disclosed that there was no anesthesiologist present at the time of my procedure so that he "just gave me his own concoction" (those were his exact words) of drugs to knock me out. He also told me at this time that he had removed polyps in my colon. The follow up meeting with Dr. Somerton reassured my feelings about him as a physican. I have no confidence in his ability and thought that his demeanor was disgusting. He diagnosed me with IBS as he couldn't come up with anything else and wasn't willing to do any further investigations for me.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015