Ratings for Dr. Joseph Lawen

I have been seeing Dr. Joseph Lawen for the past four years and I think he is the most wonderful Doctor. My previous experience with another doctor left me with cancer and not told or sent to a surgeon until I asked for a copy of my reports. I was lucky enough to get Dr. Lawen and he is kind, caring and easy to talk to. I am so glad to have this excellent urologist and thankful that I was sent to him from my previous Doctor.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2016

I was very disappointed with my initial and last visit with Dr . Lawden . He was seeing me for new diagosis of renal cancer . Did not do a history on me barely did a physica exam . Didn't seem to care when I was concerned that I just lost a parent to cancer . Lacked empathy , appeared uninterested in questions and certainly does nt listen . I found him Disorganized and scattered . I am a health care professional myself and after this visit I got referred to another .

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

His secretary was the most rude and unhelpful person I ever dealt with by phone. She should be fired on the spot. Why is she still there. Read all the comments about her. She has no time to listen to a patient....her way or the highway. Unbelievable.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2015

I found Dr. Lawen pleasant enough and he did take time to listen to me. I have to agree, his secretary is rude. She has no time to deal with you and never returns messages.Seems she is never at her desk! Less time talking in the back room would be helpful.Another doctor's secretary had to check me in because she was busy talking .Did not even acknowledge me!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2014

I had a kidney stone. He was very unhelpful and perhaps reckless. In retrospect I'm pretty sure he did a very invasive procedure on me when a second go with the less invasive alternative is possible (I know now). After he removed my stone I was given very little info and sent home with zero pain meds and a stent. About a week later I had incredibly intense pain (imagine a 33 year old man doing lamaze breathing) and passed the worst looking stone (it was cut like a sharp ninja star where he had cut it with the lazer and left it behind.) When I told him this he didn't believe me. When I showed him the stone he tried to claim it was a blood clot until I told him to shake it around and that I'd seen lots of clots in the past few months and that wasn't one. My first visit he literally spent 15 seconds in the room with me and walked out. I had to ask the secretary if he was done with me or not. I had no idea HOW bad he was until I met my current urologist and saw what a good one was.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2013

I was referred to Dr Lawen because I had a "staghorn" kidney stone that had essentially killed my kidney and it had to be removed. Dr Lawen was amazing. He took time to explain my issue and everything that was involved in the surgery. He was personable, caring and took his time answering all my questions and concerns. I had to call him several times after being released from hospital and although he was unavailable when I called due to be in the OR he called me back himself within hours. I would not hesitate to refer him to anyone, in fact....I have done just that. His office staff are wonderful as well!!!

flag | Submitted March 7, 2013

The Dr seems to know what he is talking about,however,because I do not,I can not say this to be absolutely true.What I can say, is that he had no interest or time for any questions/comments I had. The Dr is able to diagnose your condition by simply looking at you.As I my problem persisted,I requested another urologist through my GP.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2011

Living with IC for 13 years. I have chronic pain and frequency. Diagnosed first by Dr.Dow. There are no urologist in Nfld. Hydrodistention always worked for me. Always talked to Specialist before Surgery. I find it difficult being in a new hospital. I liked this New doctor but I wanted to stay awake for the procedure like I done in Nfld. The staff was great!!!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2011

I was referred to Dr.Lawen through emergency when they found a cyst on my Kidney. I was in a great deal of pain with the cyst. (and still am). I went back to emerg afew weeks ago, and they gave me the results of an ultra sound I had, telling me that the pain is caused by the cyst and explained to me why. I went to my appt with lawen, and he told me that he is not convinced that the cyst is causing pain, and if i wanted to find out what the cause of the pain is to go back to emerg. everytime i tried to explain to him that i was already at emerg and they told me that it was the cyst causing the pain he very rudely cut me off and didn't seem interested in what i had to say or my questions and concerns. at this time I am currently seeking a second opinion. as he did not make me feel confident in what he said.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2011

Very knowledgeable. Very thorough in my examination and biopsy. Felt I was in excellent care. Would recommend without question.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2010