Ratings for Dr. Maria Dela Cruz

Dr. De la cruz has single handedly ruined the lives of my entire family. My brothers baby was born with serious and extensive deformities(pfeiffer syndrome) which should have been caught even at the 20 week ultrasound. I forwarded the 20 week ultrasound post birth to our uncle who is a freshly retired x-ray specialist on the east coast and he noted cause for concern instantly. I get that doctors in general are overworked but when dealing with a high risk pregnancy she needed to be far far more dilligent. I actually mean diligent period as the parents questioned the ultrasound and her response was just that the tests are fine. Tests on paper mean nothing when they either cannot or do not test for markers for apert nor pfeiffer syndrome. A good doctor would measure facial features to determine abnormalities and a high risk pregnancy demands this simple extra step. This severely challenged but beautiful in his own way baby boy is now at the children's hospital in Vancouver and the parents can hardly hold themselves up being so overcome with sadness and despair for their baby who may not even survive. If he does live his life will be full of painful and extensive operations to even have 1/8th the quality of life we all hope to have. 1-100,000 is the chance of Pfeiffer syndrome. Just because it is a rare condition does not excuse her negligence in this matter. This truely is tragic but avoidable as she could have never let it come to this. I struggle to hold back my anger and tears to write this review in a passive manner but this one woman has not only given this poor child an everest size battle, she has severely affected the lives of us all. Even with the backing and support of my uncle and the best law firm in BC she will only receive a slight stain on her record as there is no true recourse for negligent doctors. I truly hope you read this Ms. Dela Cruz and you learn a lesson at the very least. Our family deserved your best but received the most intense sadness life could throw at us.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017

Dr. De la cruz has single handedly ruined the lives of my entire family. My brothers baby was born with serious and extensive deformities(pfeiffer syndrome) which should have been caught even at the 20 week ultrasound. I forwarded the 20 week ultrasound post birth to our uncle who is a freshly retired x-ray specialist on the east coast and he noted cause for concern instantly. I get that doctors in general are overworked but when dealing with a high risk pregnancy she needed to be far far more dilligent. I actually mean diligent period as the parents questioned the ultrasound and her response was just that the tests are fine. Tests on paper mean nothing when they either cannot or do not test for markers for apert nor pfeiffer syndrome. A good doctor would measure facial features to determine abnormalities and a high risk pregnancy demands this simple extra step. This severely challenged but beautiful in his own way baby boy is now at the children's hospital in Vancouver and the parents can hardly hold themselves up being so overcome with sadness and despair for their baby who may not even survive. If he does live his life will be full of painful and extensive operations to even have 1/8th the quality of life we all hope to have. 1-100,000 is the chance of Pfeiffer syndrome. Just because it is a rare condition does not excuse her negligence in this matter. This truely is tragic but avoidable as she could have saved the lives of us all. I struggle to hold back my anger and tears to write this review in a passive manner but this one woman has not only given this poor child an Everest size battle, she has severely affected the lives of us all. Even with the backing and support of my retired uncle and the best law firm in BC she will only have receive slight stain on her record as there is no true recourse for negligent doctors. I truly hope you read this Ms. Dela Cruz and you learn a lesson at the very least. Our family deserved your best but received the most intense sadness life could throw at us.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2017

Very caring, knowledgeable, Gets to the point, Wouldn't go to any other. Listens, speaks in a language a layman can understand.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017

I don't know how anyone could give dr delacruz a good review other than her staff. I told her some personal health history which she immediately started gossiping about with her receptionist whIle I was present. I think trying to give me fertility medication before even examining me is highly negligent.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2017

Very personable doctor, down to earth, and she listens to you!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

This doctor was part one of a long line of my mistreatment by a bunch of fertility experts. I told her my husband had cancer at 19 and had a testicular removed and I wanted a referral to ubc fertility. She said she would start by giving me a bunch of hormones to induce mass ovulation before even examining me. After saying no to that she referred me to ubc fertility. They said I would need an hsg done for some reason because I had no issues, I just wanted them to test my husbands morphology. After being scared into getting an hsg done by Dr. Timothy rowe of ubc fertility I agreed to let dr delacruz perform one at the small town city hospital. She showed up hold one arm in the air as she sprained or dislocated it, I said I wanted to reschedule. She said no, so using her one good hand she tried to force the tunes into my tunes and one of them she kept missing. I guess her good side was the sprained one, finally a male nurse intervened and just popped it in without issue. She wrote down that I had a clogged tube, which wasn't true . This being said gave ubc fertility the opportunity to use me as a training subject for their students. They did a laparoscopy on me with no findings whatsoever of a clogged tube or anything else to do with a fertility issue on my part. After the surgery 8 began to have problems. These doctors said they weren't responsible.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2017

I have nothing to bad to say about this great doctor. I had a surgery last May she knew I was very scared and she came to my bedside before the surgery and told me everything will be fine. Her voice totally calmed me. She also explained she would check the cyst I have on my left ovary and if she felt it had to be taken out she would. After my main surgery she told she looked at the cyst and decided it would be best to keep an eye on it as its not cancerous. Also she didnt want to another surgery as I had my gallbladder out a few months earlier. I and the public are so lucky to have her in Penticton

flag | Submitted March 22, 2016

Dr removed a tumor n ovaries. Very professional. Prior to surgery she came to my side and I will say that the reassurance in her eyes certainly calmed me. Two seconds later I was asleep what wonderful feeling. Thanks so much for that reassurance Louise

flag | Submitted March 14, 2016

We owe our daughters life to Dr Dela Cruz. I was under the care of another OB when it was discovered at 33 weeks that the baby was measuring small and I had low fluid. I began having non stress tests at the hospital every few days. The tests were progressively getting worse and the 2 other OB's I saw just kept saying we will keep monitoring you. On my 5th non stress test in 9 days luckily Dr Dela Cruz was on call. Wishing 15 minutes of being hooked up to the monitor she was in to tell me that she was concerned about still birth of the baby became in distress as they could not deliver me there as it was too early. She recommended I be transferred immediately to Kelowna (have a NICU). We of course agreed having no clue things were that serious. She contacted the OB in Kelowna directly to have us transferred there rather than Vancouver as we live in Osoyoos. She kept me fully informed, comforted and reassured me and even talked to my husband on the phone as I was too emotional. Within 5 hours of being seen by her I was transported and being induced in Kelowna. Our daughter was born the next day weighing 3lbs 10oz. She is thriving now and we strongly feel if it hadn't been for Dr Dela Cruz we would have lost her. She is the only OB in Penticton I would ever see!!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2015

Dr. De La Cruz is very intelligent, caring, and thorough. I did have to wait a while for my appointment, but it was because a surgery she was in went longer than expected, so obviously it was out of her control. She is very gentle, cares about her patients, and is very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2015