Ratings for Dr. Derek R. Smith

After going to an emergency facility for chronic numbness in my arm and while there got a cat scan which indicated a mild stroke, I was told to make a follow up with Dr. Smith. It took 2 weeks to get in to see him. When there his assistant/nurse Ruth was quick and rude to me. Dr. Smith finally came in and said that he could not pull up the cat scan and review it, but went on to dismiss what the emergency facility found on the cat scan without seeing it. He said that the numbness in my arm was from neck pain. I left frustrated because I knew he did not look at the cat scan and make a diagnosis from its results. When I called his office to make an appointment 2 months later for a migraine, I was told that he dismissed me as a patient because I was going to see a chiropractor for neck pain and he did not agree with that. It was a complete surprise to me because he did not express his feelings and why he did not want me to see a chirorator, and to dismiss me from his practice because of that was incredible! What a jerk!!

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

Doesn't seem to have updated his knowledge of neurological diseases since about 1988. Lied constantly and was rude.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2016

Went to his for several Apointments over the course of a year, He didn't really seem be helping me go forward, He told me to go on the pump and ordered me one, I called back after a while and told them I decided I didn't want to yet, Then A few days later a reception person called me ,telling to go find another doctor. With no reason ever given. ( VERY POOR TASTE ALL THE WAY AROUND)

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015

Very disappointed. I have chronic pain, profound fatigue, numbness in my limbs, optic neuritis, etc. He offered no diagnosis nor treatment. Told me to go to my primary GP for medication. I left crying. I am suffering tremendously and this guy did nothing to help me. His flip comment on his way out was to tell me I need to address high blood pressure. Will not be going back. Agree with the other comments. Not sure what this guy thinks his job is, but his priority is not helping patients. He has luncheons for a prescription medicine, so maybe the pharmaceutical companies are paying him a lot, so he does not need to help patients.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2015

I agree with the other comment about this doctor. The doctor seem rused and uninterested in my problems. I called the office with a question & they told me I'd have to go on the internet to the doctors website. It took over a week to get a response (it was not from the doctor). Terrible!

flag | Submitted March 22, 2007

Dr. Smith spent only 15 minutes talking with me on our first consult. I felt rushed like I was wasting his time. He didn't seem too up to date on the disorder or very knowledgable. His office never returns phone calls either. Will not go back a second time!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2007

Dr. Derek R. Smith's Credentials

• French

• University Of Texas Southwestern Medical School At Dallas (Grad. 1990)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Norwich, CT