Ratings for Dr. Madeson Basie

I have been going to Dr Basie for 3 years. I really liked his approach. I felt he was expensive, but worth it for his more gentle approach. About a year ago, due to a couple of health problems, he went in with a younger, more aggressive practice. I think he has compromised his ethics and commitment. The first time, I waited while he and the office manager had an argument within my hearing. I had to argue down a $35 charge for oral hygiene instruction when the hygienist had said nothing to me about habits at all. The last time I went, he gave my teeth a cursory look and said I needed 3 new crowns - $3800. The hygienist looked really surprised. I started to ask a question and he cut me off. There was just something odd about the whole experience. Today I had a "second look" The new dentist could find nothing at all. When I showed her the pre-determination from my insurer based on Dr. Basie's quote, she looked again. Nothing.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2012

Dr. Basie is the best dentist you will ever find. He removed my mercury fillings and when I went to another dentist in the suburbs, thinking I didn't want to commute to the city, said "those are the best fillings I have ever seen" and "how long ago did you get those? They only last 5 years" I thought, why am I coming to see you then and went back to Dr. Basie because those fillings were done in the seventies and they are as good as new!! I also grind my teeth and when my tooth cracked over the holidays, Dr. Basie answered my cell phone charge even though he was out of town and on vacation!!You people who didn't get to know him are missing out. He has a sign that is in his office about only spending money on the teeth you want to keep and in this case you really get what you pay for!! You rock, Dr. Basie. Thank you for the excellent care you have given me and my family over the years!

flag | Submitted July 5, 2012

Run away! He is demeaning to his staff and has a strange dynamic with them. I found him arrogant and irritable. He makes you sign an agreement in which he explains why he doesn't work with health insurances directly. I understood that part, but he also has some points in his agreement such as when you are with him in the room you agree he is the most knowledgeable dentist in the whole world. Very self inflated I thought. He is considered a holistic dentist but I found his views on holistic dentistry questionable. He does spend a lot of time with you on the initial consultation but his conclusions do not seem always that relevant. Surprises with bills. Not only because of how expensive he is, but also because they keep changing.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2010

I went to Dr Basie for a second opinion, as I find myself trusting traditional dentists less and less and like the thinking of holistic dentistry. I was truly impressed with Dr Basie and his thinking. He's the first dentist I've ever visited who I felt puts patients before profit. Ultimately his prices might be high if he does work on you, but first he finds out what's best for you and your teeth, not what's best for his bank balance. He spent time talking to me, a new experience for me with a dentist, took in my concerns about my teeth and related health issues, and even promised to get me the phone number of a doctor who could test for mercury in my body from old fillings. A couple of days later he phoned me himself with the promised number. How many dentists do you know who take the time to call patients personally? I had a very positive experience with Dr Basie and his staff and would definitely go to him again.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2010

Very knowledgeable holistic dentist. Also very friendly, been a patient for years and never seen him be grumpy so not sure about the other comment.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2010

I dont work for him anymore, he was kind of grumpy but I think that comes from the pressure of providing the highest standard of quality in dentistry...If you dental work that will last, go there! If you want cheap dentistry, go to the mall

flag | Submitted September 10, 2010

Dr Basie's approach to dentistry is patient-centered and I find him to be kind and professional. This office does a great job of explaining how they are different and how they might be more expensive. However, the work I had done was 100% covered.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2010

integrity and knowledge! No bull when people call him a "biological dentist" as he knows about cavitations and how to test for toxicity and electrical currents in your mouth (try that around Vancouver! and answers questions to the level he feels the client is at (and when you show real eagerness to know and understand) and to what degree he can trust the client (not everything can be explained in a way that makes the BC Dental Assoc happy!) He definitely won't be advocating mercury!When he's late it's because he spent extra time with a client rather than on lunching with buddies. I understand he goes to "real" conferences to keep up to date - not just tax-deduction-holidays. Hope he doesn't retire.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2010

Yes quite grumpy indeed, and maybe a little defensive? not very helpful in my opinion. He does spend a lot of time with you but in my case wasn't able to offer much help and didn't reassure me in any way. I do believe that his cavity work is of high quality but his prices are exorbitant. His staff are very nice though.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2010

Dr. Basie used to be my regular dentist many years ago and I found him to be very knowledgeable and professional, though at times he could be a bit short-tempered with his staff. I had a number of mercury fillings removed and replaced with composite/porcelain. Nearly ten years after the fact and all are intact. For whatever reason, I later switched dentists and began seeing Dr. Riko Ricketts. What a monumental error! (see my rating of Ricketts) In short, if you're seeking an excellent holistic dentist, I highly recommend Dr. Basie. Be prepared to pay the price though.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2010